CL Draw

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Supagoon

Re: CL Draw

Post by Supagoon »

we can only beat monaco.

PSG and Atletico could crush us.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

augie wrote:Bring on real Madrid - wenker has been bent over by Milan, barca and Bayern in recent seasons so surely it must be real madrids turn to have their way with us ?
you really want to see a Bale hatrick at the bowl ?

:banghead:

& Real are bankrolled by the Spanish Royal Family :wink:

valdemordor

Post by valdemordor »

clockender1 wrote:
augie wrote:Bring on real Madrid - wenker has been bent over by Milan, barca and Bayern in recent seasons so surely it must be real madrids turn to have their way with us ?
you really want to see a Bale hatrick at the bowl ?

:banghead:

& Real are bankrolled by the Spanish Royal Family :wink:

The brand new Spanish king is a long life Atletico :roll: :roll: de Madrid fan, but anyways, who wants money from the Royal family when you got the government to support you economically?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I think we can only beat Monaco out of that lot over 2 legs. Without a shadow of doubt we will draw Real Madrid. When Barca ruled Europe we got them every time, then it passed to Bayern.

afcforever

Post by afcforever »

officepest wrote:Without wishing to drown in negativity before a ball is kicked; I'd fear anyone right now. We have arguably a better squad than Porto and Monaco, but Wenger's tactical ineptitude means we are so easily worked out it is untrue, so even those wouldn't be a given.

We might be better off with one of the stronger sides, gee ourselves up and think: "Fuck it, we've nothing to lose".
Feb is a long way off.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

SteveO 35 wrote:I think we can only beat Monaco out of that lot over 2 legs. Without a shadow of doubt we will draw Real Madrid. When Barca ruled Europe we got them every time, then it passed to Bayern.
Think we could definitely beat Porto too (think we can draw them possibly?).

I'd rather play Madrid, it's nice to get caned by different teams rather than the same ones :roll:

I still remember Paul Breitner doing the draw in 2011/12. There is a pot full of balls for each group winner, as every time they draw a runner-up they have to place in (only) the balls for the winners that they could face - this process is repeated every team for each draw. I swear Breitner was watching the Bayern ball as it was placed in there, grabbing it then holding onto it whilst swilling the other balls round (so he knew which ball Bayern was and decided when to draw them out). I'm not one for conspiracy theories and I know it probably sounds ridiculous but even if I'm wrong the system is so obviously open to abuse!

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

northbank123 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:I think we can only beat Monaco out of that lot over 2 legs. Without a shadow of doubt we will draw Real Madrid. When Barca ruled Europe we got them every time, then it passed to Bayern.

I'd rather play Madrid, it's nice to get caned by different teams rather than the same ones :roll:

I still remember Paul Breitner doing the draw in 2011/12. There is a pot full of balls for each group winner, as every time they draw a runner-up they have to place in (only) the balls for the winners that they could face - this process is repeated every team for each draw. I swear Breitner was watching the Bayern ball as it was placed in there, grabbing it then holding onto it whilst swilling the other balls round (so he knew which ball Bayern was and decided when to draw them out). I'm not one for conspiracy theories and I know it probably sounds ridiculous but even if I'm wrong the system is so obviously open to abuse!
Watched the very same draw and remember thinking how archaic the process was in this day and age. A clear bowl with 3 balls in it and he watched them given a half swirl before pulling out Bayern to face us. Farcical and just confirms everything I hate about UEFA and their sodding competition

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

afcforever wrote:
officepest wrote:Without wishing to drown in negativity before a ball is kicked; I'd fear anyone right now. We have arguably a better squad than Porto and Monaco, but Wenger's tactical ineptitude means we are so easily worked out it is untrue, so even those wouldn't be a given.

We might be better off with one of the stronger sides, gee ourselves up and think: "Fuck it, we've nothing to lose".
Feb is a long way off.
Judge him in Feb do you mean there, or May he be judged in Feb :?

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal can face:
Real Madrid
Atletico
Barcelona
Bayern Munich
Monaco
Porto
9:43pm - 10 Dec 14

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

afcforever wrote:

Feb is a long way off.
That's pretty much exactly what Arsene said after the game last night. :lol:

Arsene, is that you?

Arsene?

ARSENE? :shock:

Bunting14

Post by Bunting14 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
northbank123 wrote:

Watched the very same draw and remember thinking how archaic the process was in this day and age. A clear bowl with 3 balls in it and he watched them given a half swirl before pulling out Bayern to face us. Farcical and just confirms everything I hate about UEFA and their sodding competition
it can be seen on this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCaVp_oSVUI

from 3:30 onwards.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Stats suggest its nailed on Bayern again, 24+%,

what bad luck Arsene, try again next year :oops: :roll:

https://twitter.com/MisterChiping/statu ... 4133470208

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Theoperator wrote::banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

One things for sure it wont be monaco or porto which means a proper brownholing in feb/mar :oops: its ok though in akb land we will be able to concentrate on getting top4 again so we can get backskulled in the last 16 again next year :barscarf:

Dodgyknee71

Post by Dodgyknee71 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:Considering we struggle with the likes of Hull, Stoke and Leicester, I fail to see how anyone would think we'd turn up and walk through Monaco or Porto.
This

augie

Post by augie »

falkirk goon wrote:
Theoperator wrote::banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

One things for sure it wont be monaco or porto which means a proper brownholing in feb/mar :oops: its ok though in akb land we will be able to concentrate on getting top4 again so we can get backskulled in the last 16 again next year :barscarf:

I would nearly put money on us drawing either monaco or porto - we all say that everytime le cock is under pressure something lucky goes his way :roll: Of course if the draw is as corrupt as many think, could we rule out the king of europe being "looked after" by platini and co ? :rubchin:

Was looking at the list of group runners up this morning and I have to say that they looked like a more dangerous line up than the group winners - of course we know that we wont beat real madrid, bayern or barca, but the rest of the games are winnable imo (especially if we had a tactical manager in place :roll: ) where as I wouldnt put money on us beating many of the group runners up