The Mesut Özil Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
arseofacrow

Re: The Mesut Özil Thread

Post by arseofacrow »

Mate, are you going to do that after every reply?

I think even the 34% who think we're reaching the champions league final get it

:roll: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

arseofacrow wrote:Mate, are you going to do that after every reply?

I think even the 34% who think we're reaching the champions league final get it

:roll: :wink:
Did you just say he was shit? :rubchin:

:barscarf:

Robin_L

Post by Robin_L »

Ozil's crap, he doesn't run around enough and doesn't look like he cares. He also shrugs his shoulders a lot and doesn't smile enough, which tells me he's overrated and we spent too much on him. Sack him and sign a grafter, someone who'll put his foot in and show a bit of grit and desire.

Come on you Reds :barscarf:

Nuggets

Post by Nuggets »

Robin_L wrote:Ozil's crap, he doesn't run around enough and doesn't look like he cares. He also shrugs his shoulders a lot and doesn't smile enough, which tells me he's overrated and we spent too much on him. Sack him and sign a grafter, someone who'll put his foot in and show a bit of grit and desire.

Come on you Reds :barscarf:
Sounds about right, he is a fairy who doesn't like to get stuck in and graft when its needed, For that money you expect something more from him. The only thing in his favor really is that senile old slapper wonger plays him out of position most of the time, still then though he should get stuck in and at least look like he is trying.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Either play Ozil as Number 10 or sell him and cut our losses.

Brilliant passer of the ball, still like to see what happens with Alexis Sanchez one side of him and Walcott the other, but what are the chances of that?

Cazorla had a poor start to the season but has found some very good form, cannot see how we justify keeping hold of Ozil the way he plays when out wide.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Mesut Ozil's reputation among some Arsenal fans as a lazy player has been disproved by stats which show that, since his return from injury, no Gunners player has run further. (Daily Telegraph)

:?

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

And per Metro the 3rd most assists per minute played ever. Third note, not 4th so clearly not an Arsenal man :barscarf:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/03/stats-sho ... y-5087458/

I like him, you only need 2 mins in a game to make the difference, though I wish he looked more interested. So reminds me of Berbatoss :oops:

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

North America is very big on analyitics these days, but it doesn't seem to have the same clout over in the UK. Ozil is one of those rare players who is difficult to defend - when the team plays poorly, it's easy to spot his failings, and when the team does well, it's often with Ozil contributing in more subtle ways.

However, I think as statistics develop we will see more metrics that quantify talents like Ozil properly. Some graduate research recently published is introducing defensive (off-the-ball) analytics into the NBA and it has created a lot of dialogue. In time, I'm sure these types of measures will make their way to football.

Here's the Grantland article discussing the above.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

What happened to the good old days when people evaluated a performance by the evidence of their own eyes? :rubchin: :banghead: :banghead:

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

I Hate Hleb wrote:What happened to the good old days when people evaluated a performance by the evidence of their own eyes? :rubchin: :banghead: :banghead:
After "the dress", no one can trust their eyes anymore :shock:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Barriecuda wrote:
I Hate Hleb wrote:What happened to the good old days when people evaluated a performance by the evidence of their own eyes? :rubchin: :banghead: :banghead:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Very good, and topical to boot!! 8)

armchair

Post by armchair »

I Hate Hleb wrote:
Barriecuda wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Very good, and topical to boot!! 8)
We're playing in blue tomorrow, .... :rubchin:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... in-5386525

I never buy into this player misses game due to "illness" crap anyway :roll:

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

He was probably just given the weekend off, they may have covered it with illness. If he did claim he was ill and went out, then he's an idiot.

On him as a player, how anyone can slag him off is bizzare since he came back from injury. He's been top rate

TheCook

Post by TheCook »

Seems a bit of an odd article though, no pictures to back it up ; quite easy to ring a national newspaper and say you have seen someone in a nightclub and offer zero evidence for it