Kenneth Graham Sansom

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SPUDMASHER

Re: Kenneth Graham Sansom

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I totally agree that it is an illness, to suggest otherwise would be foolish.

What spikes me though is the double standards applied in society.

If you're an alcoholic, you're ill.
If you're a druggie, you're ill.
If you've a gambling addiction, you're ill.

If you've a nicotine addiction, you're a dirty scourge on society !!!!!

That really pisses me off.

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

Nuggets wrote:
remigardeshair wrote:
Nuggets wrote:The only person that can really help him is himself, he has got to want to do it otherwise nothing will change. Sad yes but there are a lot of people suffering the same problem, you don't hear about them much. Get a grip Sansom and help yourself.
It's an illness, its not just as simple as 'getting a grip'.
I know it's an illness as I suffer from the same one, and yes it is a case of wanting to help yourself, there is help available but he has got to do it and want it. Sometimes people need tough love, until he finds his rock bottom he will keep on drinking change has to come from within. Yes I feel sorry for him but at the end of the day he has GOT to help himself. He is drinking because he want's to rather than give it up, I hope he finds the courage to get help and sort himself out.
I think you need to have a look at step one again because that statement is nonsense.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

SPUDMASHER wrote:I totally agree that it is an illness, to suggest otherwise would be foolish.

What spikes me though is the double standards applied in society.

If you're an alcoholic, you're ill.
If you're a druggie, you're ill.
If you've a gambling addiction, you're ill.

If you've a nicotine addiction, you're a dirty scourge on society !!!!!

That really pisses me off.
I think they are all considered to be a scourge on society and they all affect people other than the addict themselves.

However, is someone is shooting up, drinking or gambling next to me it has no direct effect on me. Smoking is the only one that does. We can see it, smell if, inhale it and therefore it's visceral. It's in your face, so to speak.

Nuggets

Post by Nuggets »

remigardeshair wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
remigardeshair wrote:
Nuggets wrote:The only person that can really help him is himself, he has got to want to do it otherwise nothing will change. Sad yes but there are a lot of people suffering the same problem, you don't hear about them much. Get a grip Sansom and help yourself.
I know it's an illness as I suffer from the same one, and yes it is a case of wanting to help yourself, there is help available but he has got to do it and want it. Sometimes people need tough love, until he finds his rock bottom he will keep on drinking change has to come from within. Yes I feel sorry for him but at the end of the day he has GOT to help himself. He is drinking because he want's to rather than give it up, I hope he finds the courage to get help and sort himself out.
I think you need to have a look at step one again because that statement is nonsense.
I have been following the steps for 28 years a day at a time and believe me if he want to keep drinking he will, you have got to want to stop, half measures will avail him nothing. It's no good admitting it if you don't want to do anything about it, and by the looks of it he doesn't does he think somebody will do it for him...bollocks. He knows what to do he just doesn't want to do it.

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

There is a huge amount of ignorance and lack of understanding about alcoholism, I'm genuinely astounded that someone who has been in the fellowship so long could have such an incredible lack of empathy and apparent little understanding of the fundamentals of the illness.

Baffling.

Nuggets

Post by Nuggets »

remigardeshair wrote:There is a huge amount of ignorance and lack of understanding about alcoholism, I'm genuinely astounded that someone who has been in the fellowship so long could have such an incredible lack of empathy and apparent little understanding of the fundamentals of the illness.

Baffling.
All the empathy in the world will do him no good, he has to want to sort himself out, nobody can do it for him, to be honest I don't think you know what you are talking about. The guy knows where to get help so its up to him to make the first move. It's one thing to admit you are an alcoholic and another thing to do something about it, his life his choice.

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

You must be brilliant at AA meetings, 'here is nuggets to share his experience, strength and hope'

'you lot still drinking, get a grip, the end'

I think you've proved very nicely that it's you who doesnt know what you are talking about :)

Herd

Post by Herd »

AA has some good points and bad points but the very first step is admitting that you are powerless over alcohol, and that life has become unmanageable.
I think that's what has to come from Kenny .
There's way too much god in it for me but there are millions it has helped so I wont knock AA or NA or al anon/teen which has helped families I know deal with horrific stuff once their dads went off the deep end.

I,m very lucky in that mates of mine have come back from the brink turned shit around and done well but as they all say even Bowie in heroes its just for 1 day !

Nuggets

Post by Nuggets »

remigardeshair wrote:You must be brilliant at AA meetings, 'here is nuggets to share his experience, strength and hope'

I think you've proved very nicely that it's you who doesnt know what you are talking about :)
Shut up you n00b you know FA, numpty lol

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

Herd wrote:AA has some good points and bad points but the very first step is admitting that you are powerless over alcohol, and that life has become unmanageable.
I think that's what has to come from Kenny .
There's way too much god in it for me but there are millions it has helped so I wont knock AA or NA or al anon/teen which has helped families I know deal with horrific stuff once their dads went off the deep end.

I,m very lucky in that mates of mine have come back from the brink turned shit around and done well but as they all say even Bowie in heroes its just for 1 day !
I know what you mean but its much less so these days, very much 'god as you see he she or it' so it can be the old fella with the white beard, Dennis Bergkamp, or at a push John Hawley, the choice is yours.

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

Nuggets wrote:
remigardeshair wrote:You must be brilliant at AA meetings, 'here is nuggets to share his experience, strength and hope'

Shut up you n00b you know FA, numpty lol
A delightfully articulate and well thought out response, well done.

Herd

Post by Herd »

I know what you mean but its much less so these days, very much 'god as you see he she or it' so it can be the old fella with the white beard, Dennis Bergkamp, or at a push John Hawley, the choice is yours.

Sure mate but it varies from place to place, I've been to some where they end with the lords prayer.
The steps themselves are heavily Higher power tinted ,turning ourselves to his will ,asking him to remove our imperfections etc .
My pal a former mad Herdsman ,runs a few rooms on different days around London,and is a gets great pleasure from welcoming in new people and visiting people in prison, I go into them from time to time as a reminder to myself that there for the grace of someone , go I . :barscarf: :shock: :barscarf:

essem

Post by essem »

Nuggets wrote:
remigardeshair wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
remigardeshair wrote:
I have been following the steps for 28 years a day at a time and believe me if he want to keep drinking he will, you have got to want to stop, half measures will avail him nothing. It's no good admitting it if you don't want to do anything about it, and by the looks of it he doesn't does he think somebody will do it for him...bollocks. He knows what to do he just doesn't want to do it.

Same. H was my favourite

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

Herd wrote:

Sure mate but it varies from place to place, I've been to some where they end with the lords prayer.
The steps themselves are heavily Higher power tinted ,turning ourselves to his will ,asking him to remove our imperfections etc .
My pal a former mad Herdsman ,runs a few rooms on different days around London,and is a gets great pleasure from welcoming in new people and visiting people in prison, I go into them from time to time as a reminder to myself that there for the grace of someone , go I . :barscarf: :shock: :barscarf:

Lord's prayer, crikey, don't like the sound of that. Mind you there are meetings for all sorts, there's one local to me that is a non-swearing, gay, lesbian, bi-sexual transgender meeting, I'd love to go along for curiousitys sake but I dont qualify :(

Yeah the old higher power thing is a tough one to get your head round, but it's more about spirituality for me than God, and we have to get our spirits somewhere now...

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Looks like he is back on the bottle.
How long can he live like this?
The club and Tony Adams's Sporting Chance Charity have tried to help him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rehab.html