THE NORTHBANKBREN TV SHOW THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
OneBardGooner

Re: THE NORTHBANKBREN TV SHOW THREAD

Post by OneBardGooner »

Must admit I find American accents hard to listen to - They always seem to take an age to say the simplest of things - it's as if they have to draw everything out....and then they totally mangle the English language and lexicon - coming up with ways to say something so it sounds impressive but isn't. :?

I recall many years ago when I was a student I had a part-time job in a record (vinyl) shop in London and these 2 Americans come in - loud and chewing gum - and one of them was chewing a huge piece of gum and was trying to talk whilst chewing and in the end I had to say - "Please can you remove your gum from your mouth as not only am I finding it hard to understand what you are saying - But it really is very unpleasant having to see your gaping mouth chewing that over-sized piece of gum, it really is like watching a cow chew a cud of grass.

They walked out!

Result! :barscarf:

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

storrmin571 wrote:didn't like the Americans hoped it would get better , tried it and got bored.

Ran out of patience with Better Call Saul as well.
Stormin, try out Banshee and see what you think. I really liked it, but its on Cinemax here in the States and Cinemax is very under watched even though they have some good shows. Strike Back is another that is good. Strike Back Origins was originally BBC produced I think, then the next 3 seasons were by Cinemax and they're good action.

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

Loved Banshee series 1, not so much series 2 - hoping series 3 will be better. Strike back is on this week on Sky TV. Have been recommended an app called Hula Blocker which allows you to view TV and stuff like the US Netflix.

Worth a try.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

True Detective - just awesome :barscarf:

Matthew McConaughey is a mighty fine actor 8) and what a plot!!

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

g88ner wrote:True Detective - just awesome :barscarf:

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

arseofacrow wrote:

Season 2 started last night in the US.

No McConaughey though ( :( ). It's an entirely different cast, new location, new plot and new directors.

Vince Vaughn, Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams this time. Good reviews though, so hopefully it can live up to the superb season 1.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

g88ner wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:

Season 2 started last night in the US.

No McConaughey though ( :( ). It's an entirely different cast, new location, new plot and new directors.

Vince Vaughn, Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams this time. Good reviews though, so hopefully it can live up to the superb season 1.
Yes, I'm intrigued to see how this works out.

Colin Farrell has a good range and Rachel McAdams is very watchable. Vince Vaughan is the one, though. He's been doing so much shit for so many years I'm interested to see what kinf of role he's got and what he makes of it.

And g88ner, on the subject of the excellent first series were you , like me, a tad disappointed with the ending or happy with the way it went?

:?:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

arseofacrow wrote:

Colin Farrell has a good range and Rachel McAdams is very watchable. Vince Vaughan is the one, though. He's been doing so much shit for so many years I'm interested to see what kinf of role he's got and what he makes of it.

And g88ner, on the subject of the excellent first series were you , like me, a tad disappointed with the ending or happy with the way it went?

A little disappointed to be honest.

It was building up nicely over the episodes to unmasking the true horror and scale of what was going on but it all ended a bit quickly and without the shock or twist that it needed.

It was a great series though. I've never really noticed Matthew McConaughey much before, but his character was superb.

burns718

Post by burns718 »

g88ner wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:

I think he is a very good actor and often over looked

A little disappointed to be honest.

It was building up nicely over the episodes to unmasking the true horror and scale of what was going on but it all ended a bit quickly and without the shock or twist that it needed.

It was a great series though. I've never really noticed Matthew McConaughey much before, but his character was superb.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

True Detective season 2. :rubchin: Mixed bag, really.

Enjoyed Colin Farrell's character, seems to have some depth and is on that morally ambiguous line between good and bad. He's playing it ok too. And I usually HATE him as an actor. :shock:

Vince Vaughan didn't ruin it the way I thought he would. But let's be honest, he ain't no serious actor.

Rachel McAdam's character is absolute shite. Cheaply written clichéd tough-female-cop-with-family-problems type character. Insults my intelligence. :roll: Hope she dies in the next episode! :lol:

The disturbed war veteran bike cop? Who cares. Another cheaply written cliché. :roll:

I'll stick with it because the first series was awesome. But it's not looking great. just ok. :|

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

i'll stick with season 2 for at least 5 episodes. season 1 took 2 or 3 episodes until it really got going as well.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:i'll stick with season 2 for at least 5 episodes. season 1 took 2 or 3 episodes until it really got going as well.
Have to say I thought the first series was brilliant from the first few lines of dialogue out of Woody and McConaughy's mouths. 8)

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Jeremy Kyle is a *word censored*.

MegaGooner

Post by MegaGooner »

Anybody watching this?