league cup last 16 v sheff wed

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mcdowell42

Re: league cup last 16 v sheff wed

Post by mcdowell42 »

The chavs join us in going out of the competition

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

wenger hanging the players out to dry yet again. nice to see what 8m a year gets you, finger pointing and shrugging basically

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OMG!! My eyes! MY FUCKING EYES!!! :shock: :cussing:

That was worse than watching a pub side on a pissing cold Sunday morning where all the players are still half fucked from the night before! :roll: :oops:

I believe Gibbs is releasing a book entitled "El Bandito - My sham life stealing a living as a footballer". :roll: On a night when so many competed so strongly for the shittest player award good old passback-no-cross Gibbs got my vote. :roll: Actually, I think Joel "He's an International, you know" Campbell could also write that book and was a close 2nd for the shittest player accolade. :roll:

Merse slated our "senior" players and rightly so. No leadership, no example set for the kids. And then good old Arsene hangs them out to dry post match? Shameful. :oops: :|

But then, it was the shit cup and I am just a tad meh about it tbh. :tumbleweed: :lol: :wink:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Comments like those made by Wenger after the match show just how despicable he is as not only manager but as a person, to hang the youngsters out to dry and not apportion any blame to the 6 full international experienced players on the park is absolutely disgusting :shock:

scotgooner

Post by scotgooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:Comments like those made by Wenger after the match show just how despicable he is as not only manager but as a person, to hang the youngsters out to dry and not apportion any blame to the 6 full international experienced players on the park is absolutely disgusting :shock:
Agree 100% ... shameful

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

scotgooner wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:Comments like those made by Wenger after the match show just how despicable he is as not only manager but as a person, to hang the youngsters out to dry and not apportion any blame to the 6 full international experienced players on the park is absolutely disgusting :shock:
Agree 100% ... shameful
Yep - I argee. Chec did OK though !. How many of this side will play on Saturday ?. 2 or 3 ? :( :box: :cussing:

This Is The Daybreak

Post by This Is The Daybreak »

The senior players didn't look like they cared. Seemed like this game was below them after the highs of the past few weeks.

Squad players did not not stake a claim for a first team spot You'd think that they would be showing us what they could do to make the manager have a problem.

Debuchy looks to have lost a yard of pace and has played so poorly every time he has been selected for us this season. Berrelins spot is safe. Chambers looks completely shot of confidence from that fine young centre back we got from Southampton who looked so promising in his first few games. He doesn't seem to know what his job is. Mertesacker was woeful. Tonight confirmed our centre back pairing is Paulista and Koscielny. Gibbs didn't seem to want to attack the flanks at all.

With the younger players, if anyone can tell me exactly why people regard Joel Campbell so highly I'd love to know what it is. He has been shocking every time he has pulled on an Arsenal shirt and today was right up there with Gervinho at his very worst. The debutants don't look like they'll ever challenge for a first team role. Iwobi is 20 years old, if he isn't showing any promise now I doubt he ever will do. Our most promising are out on loan (Zelalem, Akpom)

Terrible performance, probably the worst of the season. The only positive I can take is at least we didn't show this attitude (or the team selection) against Spurs in the previous round and it does confirm our best 11 more or less. God forbid any injury to Coquelin, Ozil or Sanchez. We'd be really up the creek

Blade

Post by Blade »

The crap started with the ridiculous jerseys.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I support leaving out the likes of Sanchez, Ozil, Cazorla, Coquelin and Koscielny. I'd liked to have won the game (obviously) as we had a chance of winning the competition but I can accept losing it.

What I can't accept is the piss-poor state of our strength in depth. Trust the likes of Rosicky and Wilshere and this is what you get. Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Ramsey, Arteta - all fucking injured again. Basically threw those kids out to the wolves.

Piss-poor to slate the youngsters too and ignore our experienced back 4 who have all been first-choice at CL level in recent years. Those second and third goals betrayed a complete lack of leadership on the pitch (and a lack of defensive culture and discipline at the club). Chambers might still turn things round if we stop fucking round playing him at CB which for some reason people are convinced he is suited to, but the other three are fucking finished and barely capable of being reserves.

Important thing now is not to let this de-rail us. How often over past years has one poor result led to a crisis of confidence and lasted a month or two?

Completely agree about Joel Campbell - he is all fart no shit. Just like Carlos Vela, he has an uncanny knack for finding blind alleys to run down. I don't care that he's barely started games, he can play 100 games for the club and he'll still be shit.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Blade wrote:The crap started with the ridiculous jerseys.
Yes 100% agree, they are fucking awful...

Disaster of a game for Arsenal... It is hard to comprehend how bad several senior players were last night. Debuchy was as bad as Chambers at Swansea last year, Mert was an inept coward. Chambers himself could be spared too much criticism because of what was around him. It's six years since Gibbs was responsible for a goal in the Champions League semi v Manure and he still looks like a boy terrified of what is going on around him. Joel Campbell is as bad or even worse than Gervinho , no he is wose than Gervinho because Gervinho occasionally scored. Giroud must have felt insulted by being picked. Man of the Match against Everton..strolled through game last night .
The two injured England internationals , what can you say, ok they were injured and I can only hope that both realised they had a slight problem and went off as a precaution. Because to me it looked both were quite happy to go. Of the kids only Bielik looked near that level. Nice of Wenger to put the boot in. He was correct in what he said but he shouldn't have said it.
Credit to the traveling Gooners. 5,000 apparently for that. How much did they spend individually ? ,and compare that to what our players earned to be there. :banghead:

Blade

Post by Blade »

"none are ready for the 1st team".

So, why are the reserves and the kids so bad?

Millions spent on the academy for this?

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

BFG4 wrote:Sky Sports - "Arsenal are facing the biggest defeat to a lower division team in their League Cup history". Another Wenger milestone :barscarf:
I still think Wenger will win manager of the month for October :barscarf:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Going out of the league cup is not a disaster, feel for the 5000 fans who travelled up there though

What we learned as if it need confirming was that the squad is not up to it

Yes first 11 can beat anyone on there day we have proved that

If we have any injuries we are going to loose games....and the squad selection is entirely down to the manager

Debuchy and Gibbs have to go in January

Ideal solution would be Wenger leaving end of season replaced by Pep Gaurdiola

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Blade wrote:"none are ready for the 1st team".

So, why are the reserves and the kids so bad?

Millions spent on the academy for this?
The obvious reasons that springs to mind is that our best youth players are on loan or injured (Jeff Adelaide, Martinez, Gnabry, Zalalem, Akpom, Hayden) and of course Bellerin has made the quick leap into the first team and was left out tonight because he's an integral part of our side now.

Also, "not ready" does not mean the "kids are so bad" - you have to learn your trade.

We were exposed tonight because our squad is very small at the moment. A team of Ospina, Debuchy, Chambers, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Flamini, Arteta, Wilshere, Rosicky, Campbell and Welbeck, with Martinez, Jenkinson, Adelaide, Sanogo and Gnabry on the bench would have been hailed as evidence of our deep squad without dipping into the first team.

As it is, most of those aren't available so some are questioning the youth players and some are using it as evidence of why we should have spent money, but for me the team we put out was simply down to injuries and players on loan more than anything else.

That said, rather than focusing on how "bad" the kids were, I'd be more inclined to question for effort of some of the older players. They were going through the motions which is ridiculous as some of them (Gibbs, Chambers, Debuchy, Flamini and Campbell) should be banging loudly to break into the first team. None of them did that tonight.

augie

Post by augie »

northbank123 wrote:I support leaving out the likes of Sanchez, Ozil, Cazorla, Coquelin and Koscielny. I'd liked to have won the game (obviously) as we had a chance of winning the competition but I can accept losing it.

What I can't accept is the piss-poor state of our strength in depth. Trust the likes of Rosicky and Wilshere and this is what you get. Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Ramsey, Arteta - all fucking injured again. Basically threw those kids out to the wolves.

Piss-poor to slate the youngsters too and ignore our experienced back 4 who have all been first-choice at CL level in recent years. Those second and third goals betrayed a complete lack of leadership on the pitch (and a lack of defensive culture and discipline at the club). Chambers might still turn things round if we stop fucking round playing him at CB which for some reason people are convinced he is suited to, but the other three are fucking finished and barely capable of being reserves.

Important thing now is not to let this de-rail us. How often over past years has one poor result led to a crisis of confidence and lasted a month or two?

Completely agree about Joel Campbell - he is all fart no shit. Just like Carlos Vela, he has an uncanny knack for finding blind alleys to run down. I don't care that he's barely started games, he can play 100 games for the club and he'll still be shit.

Truest words you have ever said - some fans last night defended the kids on the basis of they being picked because of the amount of injuries we have, but that brings us back to the point that le cock is depending on a number of injury prone crocks to cover when the first team players are unavailable :roll:
Why is there no more talk about our medical staff ? It seems that fans thought that bringing in shad forsythe was going to improve things, and it appears to be slipping by people that nothing has changed in the injuries department at all :oops: If the people treating these injuries are not the problem, then the training methods needs to be examined more closely cos somebody must be culpable for this mess. Maybe if we had a bigger squad then absorbing these injuries would be easier, but when you have £200m unspent money in the accounts, it is absolutely ridiculous to have a small first team squad that is topped up with injury prone players :evil:

Can I also say that my contempt for diaby has been well established on here, but right now I would absolutely support any plan that involved assassinating rosicky 8) Some fool tried to defend him on here a few months ago when I had a rant at him going down injured again after signing his new contract, and he defended him on the basis that it wasnt his fault that he got injured - well correct me if I'm wrong but last season was the second time he has a miraculous return from injury in the springtime just in time to "earn" a new contract, only to then revert to type the following season as he lazes away in the treatment room :evil: Once it can happen to any player, but when it happens a second time then it does, or at least should, get you wondering about the coincidence of it all :rubchin: I dont give a flying fcuk if he is only on a pay as you play deal cos the reality is that he is filling a spot in the squad list that might otherwise see a replacement brought in