c***s AKA the scum

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Red Snapper

Re: Spuds

Post by Red Snapper »

casgooner wrote:People talk of Leicester as not being able to handle the pressure of challenging for a title and winning it, how many of our players are experienced in handling the pressure of winning the Premier League. I think I can think of one, with a few players who have won big things elsewhere.
True but it is in the club's DNA. Regardless of the wailing and gnashing of teeth that accompanies the paucity of the last 12 years, we are still by a distance the third most successful domestic club where the champions are concerned, only beaten by two clubs whose dominant period wasn't interrupted by a world war. The bacon dodgers have only won it twice and 97% of their support have never seen it happen in their lifetime.

augie

Post by augie »

Red Snapper wrote:
casgooner wrote:People talk of Leicester as not being able to handle the pressure of challenging for a title and winning it, how many of our players are experienced in handling the pressure of winning the Premier League. I think I can think of one, with a few players who have won big things elsewhere.
True but it is in the club's DNA. Regardless of the wailing and gnashing of teeth that accompanies the paucity of the last 12 years, we are still by a distance the third most successful domestic club where the champions are concerned, only beaten by two clubs whose dominant period wasn't interrupted by a world war. The bacon dodgers have only won it twice and 97% of their support have never seen it happen in their lifetime.

Maybe so but it is the players DNA which is more relevant now - the fact that TA6, PV4, Rocky and the genius Bergkamp, won leagues in the past does nothing positive for these players, and if anything it will actually add to the pressure on the current team.
Of course if it comes down to this then citeeh will win the league cos their players are the one's that have a history of winning big trophies, whilst ours have a history of bottling it and of course the other two just have a history of being losers

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:At times it's hard to actually think this a forum for arsenal fans.

I know I'm supposed to hate them and probably showing my disassociation with you lot here in the UK and Ireland when I say this but I honestly can't. I think I despise Wenger and what his turned us into me more than them.

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

SydneyGooner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:At times it's hard to actually think this a forum for arsenal fans.

I know I'm supposed to hate them and probably showing my disassociation with you lot here in the UK and Ireland when I say this but I honestly can't. I think I despise Wenger and what his turned us into me more than them.

Tin hat required. :box: :box:

skizz_b

Post by skizz_b »

SydneyGooner wrote:

That is a sad state of affairs.

Nothing would make me hate this club, not even him.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Red Snapper wrote:
Red to be honest i'm not sure it is in the clubs DNA any more, part of this sort of thing is passed along from long time staff, coaches, players etc. I'm not sure that there are that many left in critical positions within the clubs structure who even know what it's like to win the league.

We all have this kind of hangover because most of us have followed the club through thick and thin and can remember good seasons, great seasons and terrible seasons, some of us even remember them from before AW was here as well.

The thing is for the Spuds only their most ancient supporters within the club can remember the last time they won the league so in some ways there's less for them to fear because they've never experienced the absolute devastation of fucking it up time after time in recent memory unlike our players and staff currently have.

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Red Snapper wrote:
Red to be honest i'm not sure it is in the clubs DNA any more, part of this sort of thing is passed along from long time staff, coaches, players etc. I'm not sure that there are that many left in critical positions within the clubs structure who even know what it's like to win the league.

We all have this kind of hangover because most of us have followed the club through thick and thin and can remember good seasons, great seasons and terrible seasons, some of us even remember them from before AW was here as well.

The thing is for the Spuds only their most ancient supporters within the club can remember the last time they won the league so in some ways there's less for them to fear because they've never experienced the absolute devastation of fucking it up time after time in recent memory unlike our players and staff currently have.
Fair comment Muzz and thanks for the "ancient" tag; I remember it very clearly! :(

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Red Snapper wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Red Snapper wrote:

Fair comment Muzz and thanks for the "ancient" tag; I remember it very clearly! :(
Ah but you've endured the rejuvenating energy of multiple league wins since, and therefore are considerably younger :cheers:

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

:high5:

Sean

Post by Sean »

GoonerMuzz wrote:Red to be honest i'm not sure it is in the clubs DNA any more, part of this sort of thing is passed along from long time staff, coaches, players etc. I'm not sure that there are that many left in critical positions within the clubs structure who even know what it's like to win the league.
I think you're right here :(

TOF is the last man standing from when we were a great side - I think we have come to realize that those players of 1998-06 are what made it great. Even the boardroom has been cleared out and replaced with shysters.

It's not a surprise to say that many Gooners no longer recognise the club, other than the name :cry:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Hold on a minute? Is that the treble winners elect I see losing at home to a team who can't buy a win? Surely something wrong....

Don't worry though - the genius at the helm has instructed them to do even more pressing and running in the second half just in case some of their greatest fans on here are getting a bit worried

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:Hold on a minute? Is that the treble winners elect I see losing at home to a team who can't buy a win? Surely something wrong....

Don't worry though - the genius at the helm has instructed them to do even more pressing and running in the second half just in case some of their greatest fans on here are getting a bit worried
Going for the treble. I heard that on the radio, it made me laugh.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

don't jinx it, they will win.

palace are shite, no way will adebeyor score

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:don't jinx it, they will win.

Probably. Actually, it would be good for us if they drew this and then won the replay for extra matches. It's a fine line between wearing them out just before they get any glory.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:don't jinx it, they will win.

I'm sure there's many on here willing them to win it given recent posts. Hard not to admire such a wonderfully gifted team with such a highly decorated manager