Rocky Memorial

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
supergeorgegraham

Re: Rocky Memorial

Post by supergeorgegraham »

We won a trophy nearly every year under Graham. The football may not have been pretty at times but both the 89 league title and the 91 league title we played amazing football and Rocky was a massive part of that. Those 2 league wins remain my fav but of course it's impossible to put into words the greatness of the 89 Anfield win.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

supergeorgegraham wrote:We won a trophy nearly every year under Graham. The football may not have been pretty at times but both the 89 league title and the 91 league title we played amazing football and Rocky was a massive part of that. Those 2 league wins remain my fav but of course it's impossible to put into words the greatness of the 89 Anfield win.
It still pisses me off that we didn't (and still don't) get credit for the quality of the football we played in those 2 seasons - particularly 91. We were absolutely brilliant that season. But still the media persisted with lowbrow dullard clichés like "Boring Boring Arsenal" and "Dour Scot George Graham". :roll: :x

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Any news on a memorial for Rocky at the bowl?

skizz_b

Post by skizz_b »

Nos89 wrote:Any news on a memorial for Rocky at the bowl?
Despite several attempts to contact Arsenal, no response. Ignoring most likely. This was even during the fun times where everyone thought we would win the title...

Worth continuing to push the petition, it's almost at 2.5k signatures now.

Herd

Post by Herd »

The club and likewise the fans have made much of the "Rocky" memory , even attributing words he never said to him "remember who u are etc "
Without bieng rude if he wasnt dead this wouldnt be happening !

Peeman

Post by Peeman »

DB10GOONER wrote:
supergeorgegraham wrote:We won a trophy nearly every year under Graham. The football may not have been pretty at times but both the 89 league title and the 91 league title we played amazing football and Rocky was a massive part of that. Those 2 league wins remain my fav but of course it's impossible to put into words the greatness of the 89 Anfield win.
It still pisses me off that we didn't (and still don't) get credit for the quality of the football we played in those 2 seasons - particularly 91. We were absolutely brilliant that season. But still the media persisted with lowbrow dullard clichés like "Boring Boring Arsenal" and "Dour Scot George Graham". :roll: :x

The 91 team was the perfect team - great attacking, best defence - we were going to equal the fewest goals conceded record up until the last two games (when we already had the league won) and conceded two more?

Only beat once in the season
Captain sent to prison
Two points deducted

It was better when everyone else hated us, instead of us hating us :cry:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Peeman wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

The 91 team was the perfect team - great attacking, best defence - we were going to equal the fewest goals conceded record up until the last two games (when we already had the league won) and conceded two more?

Only beat once in the season
Captain sent to prison
Two points deducted

It was better when everyone else hated us, instead of us hating us :cry:
That should be our new motto. Would sit nicely under the cartoon crest we currently endure. :|

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

DB10GOONER wrote:That should be our new motto. Would sit nicely under the cartoon crest we currently endure. :|
Cartoon crest? Pfft…

It’s got a simple beauty, and makes it easier for Arsene FC to copyright it.

Do you want scores of people flogging knock-offs and making a fortune that could be diverted to Arsene’s dwindling transfer kitty? No, I didn’t think so; if we want to compete with Europe's elite we have to maximise every revenue stream.

If you don’t like our new crest I suggest you support another club. In Arsene we trust. :suicide:

:wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

officepest wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:That should be our new motto. Would sit nicely under the cartoon crest we currently endure. :|
Cartoon crest? Pfft…

It’s got a simple beauty, and makes it easier for Arsene FC to copyright it.

Do you want scores of people flogging knock-offs and making a fortune that could be diverted to Arsene’s dwindling transfer kitty? No, I didn’t think so; if we want to compete with Europe's elite we have to maximise every revenue stream.

If you don’t like our new crest I suggest you support another club. In Arsene we trust. :suicide:

:lol:

Well that's me told then. :(

I'll try that again; WE LOVE YOU ARSENE WENGER AND YOUR BEAUTIFUL CARTOON CREST!!! PLEASE NEVER LEAVE!! PLEASE!! PUULEEEEASSE!!

:suicide:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Our current crest was designed by a Junior gunner at their Christmas party in 2001, for his design he won a packet of colour pencils.

Our new crest motto is "CAVE QUID VIS " ..which translated into English means "Be careful what you wish for"

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

I was there at White Hart Lane in 1987 when Rocky scored and sent us to Wembley

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

supergeorgegraham wrote:I was there at White Hart Lane in 1987 when Rocky scored and sent us to Wembley
What a night

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:The club and likewise the fans have made much of the "Rocky" memory , even attributing words he never said to him "remember who u are etc "
Without bieng rude if he wasnt dead this wouldnt be happening !
Not completely true, mate. He did say those words in an interview, but he was quoting them as something inspirational that Steve Burtenshaw, had told him and Big Tone as youth players: "Remember who you are, what you are, and who you represent: The Arsenal." I suppose the inference being that he was inspired by those words and it are something that is now rightly associated with his persona.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Back in the day, In deepest darkest Dublin, somebody was told "Remember who you are and what you represent".

From that day onwards DB10 has always tried to be a midget, pikey, pervert :lol: :lol: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SPUDMASHER wrote:Back in the day, In deepest darkest Dublin, somebody was told "Remember who you are and what you represent".

From that day onwards DB10 has always tried to be a midget, pikey, pervert :lol: :lol: :lol:
Harsh. But fair. :lol:

In fairness though, it was you that told me that, Oh Lord of The Ewoks. 8)

:D :D