THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Ikechukwu1

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

SPUDMASHER wrote:Having read through the last couple of pages there seems to be a general feeling that the best way to force change on the club is to refuse to buy a ticket and/or renew your season ticket. Personally I'd like to think this would work but the reality is that it will never happen. If you knew you could then go and buy it back again once the changes had been made then it would definitely work. However, the reality is that you can't. You'll have to go on the waiting list again and it'll be several years before you get the chance to own one again. Supporters won't want that. What is the point of enforcing change to a brand new world when you then cannot go and enjoy that world?

That is what will prevent the manager being forced out by fan power!

One of the biggest problems we have is that AW is involved in the clubs finances. At any other club the manager tells the board which players he would like and they then try to get them. The board makes the decision on whether they can afford them or not once the negotiations are done. At Arsenal however the manager states who he wants, how much he considers them to be worth and what price he is prepared to go to. That's wrong! He is a football manager, not a club accountant. His job is to deliver the best team he can with the resources made available, not to decide what those resources are.
How many times have we seen Arsenal go after a player and then withdraw once the host club wants more than he is prepared to pay? Where's the stomach for that negotiation? How many times have we gone for a player who has also been subject to a slightly higher bid from another club and we've withdrawn without a fight? All of this is because AW has too much control in that area. Sure there should be some consultation in the respect that we have 'x' amount of money who would you prefer from your list? and there is a balance to find but he should not be the decision maker financially. Until that changes the club doesn't change.

My concern is that when he decides to call it a day, because that is when he is leaving and not a day before, he will move upstairs and his role will almost certainly involve that part of the business. He will become the new David Dien. The new manager will likely be crippled by the same financial decision making process that we are frustrated by today.
Agree with this analysis. Said this to a mate years ago but it strikes me that the easiest way to get rid of that problem and get Wenker out at the same time would be to bring in a Director of Football. Imagine Lord A-hole being told he can't decide the price of a player? A DoF could basically identify the 3 areas the team needs strengthening in, and then present Wenker with a shortlist of players. That means he doesn't get to pick another El-Nanny etc. If he refuses to pick one, the DoG picks the players.
This structure seems to work fine for Bayern, Barca, Juve, Sevilla etc all clubs with far more success in terms of trophies and the transfer market. The fact we don't have one shows how stale and behind the curve the whole club is. Obviously for it to work, Wenker couldn't have any say in which DoF is appointed and Gazidis would have to appoint him, over his head. Wenker would throw a hissy fit and walk, it's guaranteed.

skizz_b

Post by skizz_b »

How anybody can stand tall and say Arsene Wenger is what is best for this football club, I don't know. They still do it, though. Moronic fcukbags.

MrT

Post by MrT »

Another club legend talking shite again.

Vieira - ''Arsene will know when it is time for him to go. He knows what he is doing.''

http://talksport.com/football/arsenal-n ... -talksport

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

MrT wrote:Another club legend talking shite again.

Vieira - ''Arsene will know when it is time for him to go. He knows what he is doing.''

Funny that. This the same Vieira who trusted so much in Lord Spunk-bag that he spent every summer talking to the press about the lack of ambition before sodding off to win trophies at Juve? :rubchin:
Or the same Vieira who just a few weeks ago said he rates the out-of-work Mourinho as the superior manager of the two? :shock:

But yes. Mr Senile will definitely "know" when to call it a day. Just as he knew after the 2014 cup final, just as he "knew" he didn't need outfield players over summer, just as he "knew" that "you cannot sell Cesc and Nasri in the same summer and claim you're a big club", and just as he "knows" it's impossible to compete with Leicester's crisp money and Spuds' sewage money

:roll:

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

Despite all his glaring tactical weaknesses, if Wenger had splashed a fair wollop of cash on a highly rated proper striker and or proper holding midfielder in the summer, and the season still hadnt worked out I think there would be a lot more acceptance. At least nore of a willingness to see him see out the last year of his contract before a dignified exit.
Ferguson wanted the trophy that year and the only way he knew he could do it was by buying a world class striker. So he bought the only one available - ours - even at a hefty price tag for a player already a couple of years into his peak and plagued by injuries. But it worked. They won league, ahead of their arch rivals, and the Man Utd fans couldnt have a given a stuff if that one season of RVP cost them 80 or 100 million, let alone 30 or whatever it was. Wenger is working for Kroenke, not the fans. Not for Arsenal Football Club, but for just another "item" in Kroenke's investment portfolio.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

The part that pisses me off is when people come out with lines like "he deserves more respect" or I don't want to see him hounded out ". Leave aside his pathetic performance as manager, the man has been a grade A *word censored* to the fans, and has proved time and again that he sees us as customers and nothing else. Add to that the fact he has been the only manager of the 20 in the league to defend high ticket prices and showed no sympathy to fans who are being priced out of supporting the club, and he deserves every bit of abuse he gets.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

The talk of him "moving upstairs" is as frightening as him staying on as manager. Can you imagine the stifling restraints he would put on the new manager. He is going to look a right tosser if someone comes in spends 100k WISELY, wins the league and is highly competitive in the CL & every other domestic trophy. Suddenly there will be someone to compare him to and his last decade is going to be brutally exposed. You think if he "moves upstairs" he is going to allow that?? Not on your life, he goes upstairs it will be as a financial watchdog for Kroenke.

WHO WILL RID US OF THIS TROUBLESOME MAN??? :( :cry: :(

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

MrT wrote:Another club legend talking shite again.

He's not going to say anything else. Why should he say anything controversial? Arsenal is not where he works now so what happens here is not his problem.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Wenger "moving upstairs" would be a disaster tbh. We need a clean break from Wenger and all of his outdated and unworkable ideas. Really we need a new owner, a new Board and a new manager with no left-over influences from the current failed regime.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Maybe a HUGE banner at the next game saying DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING would do the trick :D :barscarf: :-P

Goonerpath

Post by Goonerpath »

I’m heading for Groundhog Season #4 since I realised Wenger’s time was up. Here I am on this forum 3 and a half years later and he’s still there spouting the same shit “Judge us in May nonsense”, except this time appears to be different. This is the first time I see even Wenger’s most ardent supporters starting to realise his time is up and the media are doing a decent job (for once) piling on the pressure rather than lauding his "brilliance", even they have realised they were fooled. Can’t wait to see the media lay into him after the “Annual 2nd Round Champions League Thrashing” by Barca this year.

The day he leaves should be commemorated by creating a public holiday for Gooners worldwide called “Wenger Out Day”. I will be celebrating the liberation with some fine champagne when the day finally comes. I’ve vowed to open it the day he leaves :banghead: !!!

augie

Post by augie »

Goonerpath wrote:I’m heading for Groundhog Season #4 since I realised Wenger’s time was up. Here I am on this forum 3 and a half years later and he’s still there spouting the same shit “Judge us in May nonsense”, except this time appears to be different. This is the first time I see even Wenger’s most ardent supporters starting to realise his time is up and the media are doing a decent job (for once) piling on the pressure rather than lauding his "brilliance", even they have realised they were fooled. Can’t wait to see the media lay into him after the “Annual 2nd Round Champions League Thrashing” by Barca this year.

The day he leaves should be commemorated by creating a public holiday for Gooners worldwide called “Wenger Out Day”. I will be celebrating the liberation with some fine champagne when the day finally comes. I’ve vowed to open it the day he leaves :banghead: !!!

You are only a rookie mate :wink: :lol: :lol: :barscarf:

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Goonerpath wrote:I’m heading for Groundhog Season #4 since I realised Wenger’s time was up. Here I am on this forum 3 and a half years later and he’s still there spouting the same shit “Judge us in May nonsense”, except this time appears to be different. This is the first time I see even Wenger’s most ardent supporters starting to realise his time is up and the media are doing a decent job (for once) piling on the pressure rather than lauding his "brilliance", even they have realised they were fooled. Can’t wait to see the media lay into him after the “Annual 2nd Round Champions League Thrashing” by Barca this year.

I knew things were going wrong as far back as 2008, when he threw away a league title with his bollox notions that we didn't need a striker in January, and Adebayor's goal's dried up, Eduardo broke his leg and the rest is history. After that, I could choose from any number of embarrassments or mistakes that proved he should have gone. Amazing to think that we are close to a decade since his first major fuck up, and despite many more since, he is still here.

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Just thinking about a possible protest and will hang this out there to get dog's abuse. :lol:

How about at 49 minutes the 49 undefeated song and then everyone takes out an A4 or A5 sheet of paper with "Thanks for the memories. Time to go." Shows that we respect his earlier achievements but the time is up. Plus the stewards couldn't find that amount of paper on individual gooners.

Do your worst. :oops:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

xisstential wrote:The talk of him "moving upstairs" is as frightening as him staying on as manager. Can you imagine the stifling restraints he would put on the new manager. He is going to look a right tosser if someone comes in spends 100k WISELY, wins the league and is highly competitive in the CL & every other domestic trophy. Suddenly there will be someone to compare him to and his last decade is going to be brutally exposed. You think if he "moves upstairs" he is going to allow that?? Not on your life, he goes upstairs it will be as a financial watchdog for Kroenke.

WHO WILL RID US OF THIS TROUBLESOME MAN??? :( :cry: :(
exactly the point I was making!