Any runners on here?

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
augie

Re: Any runners on here?

Post by augie »

No fcuking interest in long distance running at all - throw a football in front of me and I will run after it all day long, but running for runnings sake........fcuk that :roll:

On an athletic type of theme, is it possible that all athletic clubs are based on long distance running and no sprinting ? I have a young lad who plays footie, gaa and basketball but to be honest he isnt sharp enough when it comes to speed off the mark at the mo - I would never have gone for this line of thought, but right now I feel that his mechanics of sprinting are all wrong :oops: I would like to think that a proper running coach could improve his sprinting, but neither of our "localish" running clubs seem to do sprint training :shock: I know that I can download training drills for sprinting or watch them on youtube, but tbh he is also quite lazy (like me :oops: ) and would def need someone other than me educating him on the right way to sprint

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I've never been able to run any distance.

Going back to my younger days I played football twice a week, trained once, played American football every week and trained once. I also played squash. In fact, my only day where I wasn't playing sport or training for it was a Friday. At the time I was as fit as a butchers dog and really slim, unlike the heavier person I am now in my late forties. Back then I could run around a football pitch for 90 minutes and not break a sweat but if I was asked to actually just do a lap of the pitch......I couldn't.
I've put it down to that when playing a sport you are pre-occupied with where you should be, what the opponent is doing etc. etc. Essentially, you're distracted from the mental aspect of the exercise. When running though you have nothing to occupy your mind except running. I firmly believe it is a mental block.
I cycle regularly and am doing a 300 miler in August from Germany to the UK (pre warning of sponsorship request :-)) for charity. I would like to be able to run as some of those mud events look like they would be fun.
Mrs Spudmasher can run like a whippet!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SPUDMASHER wrote:I've never been able to run any distance.

Going back to my younger days I played football twice a week, trained once, played American football every week and trained once. I also played squash. In fact, my only day where I wasn't playing sport or training for it was a Friday. At the time I was as fit as a butchers dog and really slim, unlike the heavier person I am now in my late forties. Back then I could run around a football pitch for 90 minutes and not break a sweat but if I was asked to actually just do a lap of the pitch......I couldn't.
I've put it down to that when playing a sport you are pre-occupied with where you should be, what the opponent is doing etc. etc. Essentially, you're distracted from the mental aspect of the exercise. When running though you have nothing to occupy your mind except running. I firmly believe it is a mental block.
I cycle regularly and am doing a 300 miler in August from Germany to the UK (pre warning of sponsorship request :-)) for charity. I would like to be able to run as some of those mud events look like they would be fun.
She has to, though. :D :wink: :wink:

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

Rather than trawl through the numerous responses to your question, I wondered if you considered unplugging it, waiting for ten minutes and then plugging it back in ?

Good luck with that.

WENGER OUT

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

DB10GOONER wrote:
SPUDMASHER wrote:I've never been able to run any distance.

She has to, though. :D :wink: :wink:
Very true my friend, very true. She can't usually get to me fast enough.......

And then fucking disappear with my wallet :oops:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

:lol: :lol:

God made me wrong, me nose runs and my feet smell :oops: :oops: :oops:

armchair

Post by armchair »

7 miles.............1hr, 1min, 15sec.
First 30mins the wind was an absolute killer.

Again very difficult to get motivated to actually go out but quite proud of myself that I did. :D Now I have the buzz you get after exercise. Nice. #smallvictories. :barscarf:

Edit:- average 8.75min /mile

armchair

Post by armchair »

7miles.............59min 42sec
Sunny with hardly any wind.

Average 8.53min/mile

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

armchair wrote:7miles.............59min 42sec
Sunny with hardly any wind.

Average 8.53min/mile
Staying off the curries, huh? :rubchin:

:D :wink:

armchair

Post by armchair »

7miles...........60min 25sec
Struggled today due to heat. Very little wind you'll be glad to hear DB10. 8)

Average 8.63min/mile

Todays top tip:- Wear sunscreen

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Being on heat can last a few days I gather so watch out :barscarf:

armchair

Post by armchair »

4.3miles...............36min 13sec
Shorter route but two very steep hills, one of em right at the end. Hard work.
Warm and sunny today but very blustery wind pissed me off a bit.

Average 8.42min/mile

Todays top tip:- Avoid McDonalds breakfasts on day of a run!

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Here's an even better tip.................avoid McDonalds breakfasts regardless of what you're doing that day.

In fact, avoid McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Wimpy and anywhere else that sells zero value food period.

Zero nutrition 100% CRAP

armchair

Post by armchair »

SPUDMASHER wrote:Here's an even better tip.................avoid McDonalds breakfasts regardless of what you're doing that day.

In fact, avoid McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Wimpy and anywhere else that sells zero value food period.

Zero nutrition 100% CRAP
McD's brekkie is one of the few pleasures I have left....... :(

armchair

Post by armchair »

4.3 miles..........35min 45sec
Quite hot. Not too much wind.

8.31min/mile

Todays top tip:- Remember to chuckle at the fat MAMILs as they smugly spin past you with their hundreds and hundreds of pounds worth of bike, ill-fitting lycra, glasses, shoes, gloves etc, only to run past them at the next hill as they've had to dismount and have a rest and a drink from their designer waterbottle cause they're blowin out their arse.
Safe in the knowledge that hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of racing bikes are rusting away in sheds all over the UK having been used only 3 times max since the Olympics