Wenger Out protest thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
NickF

Re: Wenger Out protest - Sunday 2nd April 14:30 Man City (H)

Post by NickF »

Gunner Rob wrote:whats the situation with disrupting the match ?

Bayern Munich did it with their toilet rolls and a Turkish team did it recently at the Emirates too with flares.

is there a fine for that sort of thing or is there just more leniency for away supporters ?
BBC reckoned that the club (Bayern) will just cop a fine for failing to control their supporters.

ten20

Post by ten20 »

Lets cause some kind of disruption at the Palace away game.

Monday night football so the whole world will be watching, and if enough fans are involved they cant really pin it on one person.

Also as a bonus the club may get punished by the FA :lol:

WLG

Post by WLG »

Whatever happens in the next week will be crucial as, if he signs, the protests will move from proactive to reactive which will, I think, mean that things have to ramp up hugely - make them realise that we aren't going to just accept it and disappear.

Numbers is the big thing here which means we have to get as many fans groups, BSM, AST, whoever, as long as it becomes obvious that we are all united in this one issue, numbers will grow and the visual impact of the protests increase.

I don't know any organisers of any group personally, and I understand that everyone wants to get their voice heard, but to have maximum impact, we can't mix the message; there has to be something to unite the whole cause....I mean everyone's needs are taken care of if he's gone by the end of the season. Looking at some of the many demos again Trump, they all got behind the Not My President banner, so perhaps Not My Manager could be adopted as our mission statement by all the groups?

Keep up the excellent work guys, it's giving us all belief there might yet be an end to all this!

ten20

Post by ten20 »

WLG wrote:Whatever happens in the next week will be crucial as, if he signs, the protests will move from proactive to reactive which will, I think, mean that things have to ramp up hugely - make them realise that we aren't going to just accept it and disappear.

Numbers is the big thing here which means we have to get as many fans groups, BSM, AST, whoever, as long as it becomes obvious that we are all united in this one issue, numbers will grow and the visual impact of the protests increase.

I don't know any organisers of any group personally, and I understand that everyone wants to get their voice heard, but to have maximum impact, we can't mix the message; there has to be something to unite the whole cause....I mean everyone's needs are taken care of if he's gone by the end of the season. Looking at some of the many demos again Trump, they all got behind the Not My President banner, so perhaps Not My Manager could be adopted as our mission statement by all the groups?

Keep up the excellent work guys, it's giving us all belief there might yet be an end to all this!

Yep, now the BSM have come out and said No new contract we need them to help publicise the City protest as much as possible.

Hope we can get a turn out of 500 + for it

General

Post by General »

Our message is #nonewcontract #wengerout.

Here's the Official Twitter account from what I've been told:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NoNewContract

If he announces he's staying then the protests need to move inside the stadium with full force. More banners and more coordinated protests. I'd imagine the stands are going to be empty towards the end of games as usual so maybe we can all congregate in one block and make ourselves heard. West stand in front of the press seating area id suggest.
Last edited by General on Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WLG

Post by WLG »

Gunner Rob wrote:whats the situation with disrupting the match ?

Bayern Munich did it with their toilet rolls and a Turkish team did it recently at the Emirates too with flares.

is there a fine for that sort of thing or is there just more leniency for away supporters ?
Didn't Charlton disrupt a game by throwing tennis ball onto the pitch? I think donuts have been used before as well!

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

ten20 wrote:Lets cause some kind of disruption at the Palace away game.

Monday night football so the whole world will be watching, and if enough fans are involved they cant really pin it on one person.

Also as a bonus the club may get punished by the FA :lol:
hopefully a points deduction so we miss out on the Europa League :wink:

WLG

Post by WLG »

As long as the others are willing to get behind the No New Contract banner then all good, we just don't want it to get diluted by people suddenly bringing new messages onboard. 500 protesters behind the single NoNewContract message, has far more impact than the same number all with different signs. To be honest, if he signs, I think that might be the tipping point for may fance sitters, and we could be looking at thousands rather than hundreds at the next march.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

ten20 wrote:
WLG wrote:Whatever happens in the next week will be crucial as, if he signs, the protests will move from proactive to reactive which will, I think, mean that things have to ramp up hugely - make them realise that we aren't going to just accept it and disappear.

Yep, now the BSM have come out and said No new contract we need them to help publicise the City protest as much as possible.

Hope we can get a turn out of 500 + for it
I think the focus should be on the next 2 home games as they are in such close proximity to each other (2nd and 5th)
the club will be anticipating/expecting a protest for the City game - a 2nd big protest v West Ham might shake them more.
also if people can't attend one then there is always the other one to go to. my own situation - Im 100% in for West Ham but only 50/50 due to other commitments for the City game.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

WLG wrote:As long as the others are willing to get behind the No New Contract banner then all good, we just don't want it to get diluted by people suddenly bringing new messages onboard. 500 protesters behind the single NoNewContract message, has far more impact than the same number all with different signs. To be honest, if he signs, I think that might be the tipping point for may fance sitters, and we could be looking at thousands rather than hundreds at the next march.
I am not convinced - the apathy amongst the current Emirates match going supporters never ceases to amaze me.
I also am pretty certain that any 2 year contract would not be announced at this time - optimum time probably Cup semi final day when the club know that the vast majority of supporters will be behind the team.

NickF

Post by NickF »

General wrote:Our message is #nonewcontract #wengerout.

Here's the Official Twitter account from what I've been told:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NoNewContract

If he announces he's staying then the protests need to move inside the stadium with full force. More banners and more coordinated protests. I'd imagine the stands are going to be empty towards the end of games as usual so maybe we can all congregate in one block and make ourselves heard. West stand in front of the press seating area id suggest.
Why wait, should be inside as well. It doesn't really matter which stand but so far not enough numbers. Away was different as there was plenty of banners.

I was listening to the excellent SameOldAFC podcast and they remarked that a lot still have respect for Wenger (even though they wouldn't necessarily want him to sign) which is why they don't join in chants and banners. Not really sure how we would ever get round that....

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

It does have to move inside the ground now, while its good that it's happening outside, the club can spin it that it's only a handful of people and Wenger can also (and is already) implying that it's only some fans not all, even Monreal was at it today saying how they know a small section of the support is against him.

The only way it's going to sink in is if the home support start singing for him to go, that's going to be hard to get going but if City turn up and maul us next week, that's the moment, even if they don't, the discontent has to start being heard inside.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Gunner Rob wrote:
WLG wrote:As long as the others are willing to get behind the No New Contract banner then all good, we just don't want it to get diluted by people suddenly bringing new messages onboard. 500 protesters behind the single NoNewContract message, has far more impact than the same number all with different signs. To be honest, if he signs, I think that might be the tipping point for may fance sitters, and we could be looking at thousands rather than hundreds at the next march.
I am not convinced - the apathy amongst the current Emirates match going supporters never ceases to amaze me.
I also am pretty certain that any 2 year contract would not be announced at this time - optimum time probably Cup semi final day when the club know that the vast majority of supporters will be behind the team.
I don't think they would be so rash as to announce it ahead of the semi-final game. Possibly if we won.......

General

Post by General »

I think the danger is that the fence sitters could also turn around and say oh well he's signed for 2more years so let's just get behind the team as nothing is going to change.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

General wrote:
I think the danger is that the fence sitters could also turn around and say oh well he's signed for 2more years so let's just get behind the team as nothing is going to change.
That is precisely what the club are banking on: we have to hope that the worm has turned and the sheep won't be led meekly back into the pen as they always have been before.