Danny Welbeck Signs (dont moan)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SPUDMASHER

Re: Danny Welbeck Signs (dont moan)

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Some people would consider 10 hours of cock swallowing "earning" their place.

Just ask Flash, that's how he became a mod. :lol: :wink:

Herd

Post by Herd »

]Nope. Arsene chose him. FACT. :D
Wrong fella , so so totally wrong , he came shortly after Mr Kroenke was elected to the board and replaced Edelman who was ousted from the club after the flamini fiasco and his perceived opposition to Kroenke and support of Dein and Usmanov ,not to mention a fuck up on the dial square project where he allegedly advocated holding on to some of the housing stock as the market crashed and they couldn't liquidate some assets quickly when they needed to .

My sources are impeccable , my missus sauces are better though !

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

9 days after splashing out 16 million smackers and still not a peep out of the gaffer.

In Ivan we trust :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

1989 wrote:
augie wrote:
Gunnersaurus wrote:
clockender1 wrote:
Gunnersaurus wrote:
Welbeck is very much a Wenger style signing.
in what way ? - i don't think he has ever signed an Englishman over 21 has he ?

i'm thinking of Jeffers. Pennant, Ox, Wally, Upton.

whilst panic buys are becoming the norm, the target is very unusal imho.

He is young, cheapish, a bit lost and not doing so well at his last club, is ripe to be Wengerised and turned into a 'star' while the boss laps up the credit for transforming him.

Nothing unusual about it.

Cheap ? At £16m ? Are you having a laff ? :? :shock: :shock: Personally I think we have been robbed blind over the transfer fee - if the fee was £8m-£10m with another few million based on clauses, appearances, goals etc then I could live with that, but a non conditional £16m fee is a rip off imo
Young England international striker who has yet to hit his prime. Pretty reasonable considering the current market prices (Andy Carroll for 35m). If anything we ripped them off.

I keep hearing this line about "young English player" when it comes to defending price tags but that is frankly bullshit - managers and ceo's can come out and use the nationality of the player as a lame defence for the price but fans are meant to be able to look at things more objectively and there is no way that he, in his current condition, is worth 16m. The guy is almost 24 years old ffs and we talking about him not reaching his peak yet ? If we are honest we will concede that his finishing lacks consistency, his hold up and link play isn't great and there are question marks about his technique - yes he works his nuts off and is pacy and direct (traits we need at no.9 position) but his weaknesses are crucial for a centre forward imo.

We all want him to be a huge success for us - yes because it should (but probably wont :roll: ) help push le postman out of squad, but also because we want every AFC signing to be a help to the team. However that shouldn't disguise the realities as they currently stand and justifying the price tags by comparing his signing to that of some of the most over-rated English players of recent years (carroll, Bentley, jones etc) only weakens your argument if that is the level that you are putting welbeck on ncos 16m for those c**ts is shocking

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

16m is cheap for welbeck imo.

it's 2014 now, prices have inflated. How much was Lallana again? How much was chambers?

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

augie wrote: I keep hearing this line about "young English player" when it comes to defending price tags but that is frankly bullshit - managers and ceo's can come out and use the nationality of the player as a lame defence for the price but fans are meant to be able to look at things more objectively and there is no way that he, in his current condition, is worth 16m. The guy is almost 24 years old ffs and we talking about him not reaching his peak yet ? If we are honest we will concede that his finishing lacks consistency, his hold up and link play isn't great and there are question marks about his technique - yes he works his nuts off and is pacy and direct (traits we need at no.9 position) but his weaknesses are crucial for a centre forward imo.

We all want him to be a huge success for us - yes because it should (but probably wont :roll: ) help push le postman out of squad, but also because we want every AFC signing to be a help to the team. However that shouldn't disguise the realities as they currently stand and justifying the price tags by comparing his signing to that of some of the most over-rated English players of recent years (carroll, Bentley, jones etc) only weakens your argument if that is the level that you are putting welbeck on ncos 16m for those c**ts is shocking
Isnt there something about "Home grown players" in FFP though I seem to remember, and as such given the relative rarity of home grown players of note combined with the oilers unlimitless pots of dosh 16m in comparison to other players as stated earlier seems reasonable surely? Sturridge cost approx. 12m in Jan 13 and the market has gone up since then quite a way.

Given the 2 goals he scored the other day its as well we haven't got clauses for England goals in the price either :?

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

He is young, cheapish, a bit lost and not doing so well at his last club, is ripe to be Wengerised and turned into a 'star' while the boss laps up the credit for transforming him.

Nothing unusual about it.[/quote]

Cheap ? At £16m ? Are you having a laff ? :? :shock: :shock: Personally I think we have been robbed blind over the transfer fee - if the fee was £8m-£10m with another few million based on clauses, appearances, goals etc then I could live with that, but a non conditional £16m fee is a rip off imo[/quote]
Young England international striker who has yet to hit his prime. Pretty reasonable considering the current market prices (Andy Carroll for 35m). If anything we ripped them off.[/quote]

I keep hearing this line about "young English player" when it comes to defending price tags but that is frankly bullshit - managers and ceo's can come out and use the nationality of the player as a lame defence for the price but fans are meant to be able to look at things more objectively and there is no way that he, in his current condition, is worth 16m. The guy is almost 24 years old ffs and we talking about him not reaching his peak yet ? If we are honest we will concede that his finishing lacks consistency, his hold up and link play isn't great and there are question marks about his technique - yes he works his nuts off and is pacy and direct (traits we need at no.9 position) but his weaknesses are crucial for a centre forward imo.

We all want him to be a huge success for us - yes because it should (but probably wont :roll: ) help push le postman out of squad, but also because we want every AFC signing to be a help to the team. However that shouldn't disguise the realities as they currently stand and justifying the price tags by comparing his signing to that of some of the most over-rated English players of recent years (carroll, Bentley, jones etc) only weakens your argument if that is the level that you are putting welbeck on ncos 16m for those c**ts is shocking[/quote]

It's not bullshit, it is your opinion which has been proved wrong time and time again in the matket and most recently as this Summer when Southampton fleeced Liverpool selling them Lallana for 25m and replacing him with someone better in Tadic for 10m from abroad.

You can not rewrite history unfortunately and English players sell for far more than they are actually worth even you can not argue that point which is also backed up by the influx of cheap foreign players and a decline in talent for the national side as a result and if you do you are just chasing your tail.

You comment about over rated players is not relivant, no one cares if you think they are over rated, all we care about is how much they sold for.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I don't think £16m for Welbeck is particularly cheap if you factor in United being absolutely desperate to sell because he was utterly surplus to requirements there and a quick bit of book-balancing was required.

Don't get me wrong, it's no more than you would expect to pay. But it's hardly as though other clubs would have been willing to part with £25m+ for him.

And although there is undoubtedly a premium on English players and there are plenty of (recent) examples of this, I think it's well past due that people stop referring to Andy Carroll costing £35m as representative of the current market.

VAVAVOOM 14

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

rodders999 wrote:9 days after splashing out 16 million smackers and still not a peep out of the gaffer.

Well then we might still be fu*ked.

If this was indeed a Gazidis signing and Wenger isn't keen on him, I think we'll see Sanogo ahead of Welbeck in the pecking order.

mojokickin

Post by mojokickin »

VAVAVOOM 14 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:9 days after splashing out 16 million smackers and still not a peep out of the gaffer.

If this was indeed a Gazidis signing and Wenger isn't keen on him, I think we'll see Sanogo ahead of Welbeck in the pecking order.

if this shit is true Per for gaffer one day!!! :barscarf:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footba ... Man-United

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mojokickin wrote:
VAVAVOOM 14 wrote:

if this shit is true Per for gaffer one day!!! :barscarf:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footba ... Man-United
:lol:

There is no way on this planet that is true! :lol: :lol: :wink:

TurnipMasher

Post by TurnipMasher »

"If I had not been away on deadline day, Welbeck would not have signed. That's the truth," said Wenger.

W
T
F
?

augie

Post by augie »

and he is happy to sign him despite the fact that he would have preferred to sign him on loan ? :? Hardly a ringing endorsement of confidence in the guy is it ? :roll: Regardless of whether we agreed with signing him or indeed the price we paid, the fact is that he is a Gooner now and he should have the confidence of the manager and he should know it too :x

spike241

Post by spike241 »

TurnipMasher wrote:
"If I had not been away on deadline day, Welbeck would not have signed. That's the truth," said Wenger.

W
T
F
?
That doesn't even make sense, the guy has completely lost it.

If the board went behind his back to sign Danny then I doubt it would've mattered whether he was in the country or not.
If he was aware of/responsible for the signing then, again, why did it matter where he was at the time?