Danny Welbeck Signs (dont moan)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Dan_85

Re: Danny Welbeck Signs (dont moan)

Post by Dan_85 »

Wenger would have preferred to take Welbeck on loan? But wait, only a few months ago he was calling for loans between PL clubs to be scrapped. Hypocrisy from Wenger? Surely not! :roll:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... clubs.html

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Supagoon wrote:Arsene in the times.
“When you analyse his game, you think he has the qualities to play through the middle. He is very versatile and at a place like United where you had many big stars, he had to make room sometimes for others to play in the middle. If you analyse in an objective way his qualities, I think he has the perfect style to play through the middle.

“He is a young boy, not yet 24, and let’s forget that some players who arrived here at 23 made huge careers. I hope we can contribute and help him.”
I did nearly fall for the 'signed behind my back' story from the early reports, but the expanded quotes suggests that he did want him. Taking quotes out of context give the story a totally different spin of course.
Yeah, I have just seen his interview on SSN and he clearly wanted Welbeck, yes he would have preferred a one year loan with a view to a buy but when told it was a buy only option was happy to do the deal.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

ok then,if wenger did want to sign him... hes not good enough and a waste of money!

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

rigsby wrote:I think his comment has been taken slightly out of context
"If I had not been away on deadline day, Welbeck would not have signed. That's the truth,
That could mean that being away helped the deal. Maybe someone from United was there who made it clear Welbeck was available. He was going to a big Managers event, could possibly have spoken to Van Gaal. Not saying he did, but perhaps that quote isn't as damning as some people seem to think it is.
It is such an odd comment to make because the rest of the piece is very complimentary to Wellbeck and it is clear that he wanted him, he wanted him on loan because he thought that was on offer and they wouldn't sell, that is fair enough and different to not wanting him.

Looks to me like he's trying to justify his trip and he's made a mess of doing it with an odd statement which doesn't tie in with the rest of his comments.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Gunner Rob wrote:Wenger was in Brazil when we signed Sanchez and in Italy when we signed Welbeck.
Clearly we need to send him somewhere in January :rubchin:
Siberia?

:wink:

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

the playing mantis wrote:ok then,if wenger did want to sign him... hes not good enough and a waste of money!
That's right! That F**&ing son of a beeeatch puta de madre :lol:

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Supagoon wrote:Arsene in the times.
“When you analyse his game, you think he has the qualities to play through the middle. He is very versatile and at a place like United where you had many big stars, he had to make room sometimes for others to play in the middle. If you analyse in an objective way his qualities, I think he has the perfect style to play through the middle.

“He is a young boy, not yet 24, and let’s forget that some players who arrived here at 23 made huge careers. I hope we can contribute and help him.”
I did nearly fall for the 'signed behind my back' story from the early reports, but the expanded quotes suggests that he did want him. Taking quotes out of context give the story a totally different spin of course.
Yeah, I have just seen his interview on SSN and he clearly wanted Welbeck, yes he would have preferred a one year loan with a view to a buy but when told it was a buy only option was happy to do the deal.
The conference is being reported very differently depending on the media outlet, skysports also have a very positive spin on the whole thing.

I don’t think Wenger never wanted him. But maybe the story is that Wenger didn’t think he was worth as much as £16m and wouldn’t have paid that for him, hence the loan suggestion, but then Gazidis or whoever decided it was better to get the deal done as we had the money and United weren’t interested in the loan option.

foxinthebox2001

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

He possibly means that had he stayed in London he wouldn't have spent time with SAF in Rome, and maybe he hinted Welbeck could be available.
It's just another media created shit storm, lets forget it and just think about backing our team.
I am one of Wenger's biggest critics, but that is just nonsensical.
Due to the inflated cost of tickets for A games, and its on tv I was happy just to sit this one out at home,and wince every time Sanogo either took an air shot, or a pass to his feet bounced away from him like hitting a wheelie bin.
Glad to say I now have a ticket through the exchange and relishing the thought of Welbeck running at the Citeh back 4.
We can't do any worse than Stoke.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Skooner wrote: I don’t think Wenger never wanted him. But maybe the story is that Wenger didn’t think he was worth as much as £16m and wouldn’t have paid that for him, hence the loan suggestion, but then Gazidis or whoever decided it was better to get the deal done as we had the money and United weren’t interested in the loan option.
This.

It's finally all come out in the wash 10 days later, I knew he was sulking by saying nothing about the transfer in that length of time. Wenger had Welbeck on a list of targets but would not have wanted to part with 16 million quid for him. So, with him out of the country and the deal on the table the player was signed bu Ivam/Stan.

RespectTheUmlaut

Post by RespectTheUmlaut »

Wenger said in the end it came down to a permanent deal or a loan with an option to buy. It's clear that he had both options and we chose to buy the lad, this just stinks of the media trying to create something that isn't there and I won't entertain the notion for a second.

I'm just glad that we won't (surely, Wenger?) have to watch Sanogoals saunter around up front against Man City? :barscarf:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I wouldn't rule out Sanogo starting on Saturday with Welbeck replacing him at the 70th minute mark. Wenger'll show em who's boss.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Supagoon wrote: Arsene in the times.
i am very very happy to hear those words. hopefully he is going to play him there. this was also in the Mail :

Wenger added: ‘He has been questioned about that (his finishing), but the second goal (for England) gives you a good answer.’

'Welbeck's best position is through the middle. He is happy and confident'

the mail also has a quote from wenger saying that the flight to rome meant he was up at 6am on the Monday. I think thats what he meant.

and the managers thing wasn't until wednesday.
Last edited by clockender1 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

rodders999 wrote:I wouldn't rule out Sanogo starting on Saturday with Welbeck replacing him at the 70th minute mark. Wenger'll show em who's boss.

Rodders I'm in agreement with you there,or else welbeck will start out on the wing.

augie

Post by augie »

Forget about media hype and forget about the "blowing it out of proportion" argument......nobody is seriously saying that le cock doesn't rate him, but what WE feel he is saying is that he isn't convinced by him. If the wenker defenders dispute that then answer these questions please -

1. If he believes in welbecks ability, then why did he only want to sign him on loan ? Maybe he wanted to take him on loan so that he could come to a definitive assessment one way or the other ? No matter what way you slant it, it still speaks loudly that he isn't convinced by wellbeck

2. If he is convinced by wellbeck then why not press to sign him full time from the get go ? Was it the price tag that put him off ? Does he not think that wellbeck is worth £16m ?

Personally I could understand if he is yet to be convinced about wellbeck and I would agree if he has concerns over his valuation, BUT he should NEVER have made a public statement about preferring to sign him on loan because it suggests a lack of confidence in the player. I don't care about his statement about whether it would have gone through or not had wenker not been on a jolly up and I find the suggestion about how the deal has pissed ferguscum off to be pathetic :oops:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:I wouldn't rule out Sanogo starting on Saturday with Welbeck replacing him at the 70th minute mark. Wenger'll show em who's boss.

Rodders I'm in agreement with you there,or else welbeck will start out on the wing.
This is going to be the most eagerly anticipated team sheet in years, it will answer all my questions on the transfer.