THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Arsenal Till I Die

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I have had the biggest smile on my face all bloody day!!

The fact that we are going to have a new manager, a new buzz, a new style next year is so exciting!

Waiting for the club to announce Rodgers as our new manager to royally piss us all off again. :lol: :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

MrT wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:05 pm
Ornstein has been saying that Wenger wanted to leave at the end of last season but the board didn't have a suitable candidate to replace him so offered him a new deal. What a shit show if that's true.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43841645
However, it is my understanding Wenger was closer to walking away towards the end of last season than we knew at the time. Those closest to him were advising him to leave on a high after the FA Cup win against Chelsea in May.

But at that time, Arsenal did not have a plan in place to replace him. They were not set up to start a recruitment process. Wenger knew as much and felt - rightly or wrongly - that he would be leaving them in the lurch. He felt it was an obligation to carry on and he thought he could have one last crack at leading this team to success.
Complete and utter bollocks.

As much as anything else, if it was just a case of the great man selflessly seeing the club through a transition it would have been a one-year deal.

He would never have walked away completely of his own volition. This spin they’ve put on this is bollocks - it’s convenient for both sides but make no mistakes, he has been sacked.

augie

Post by augie »

northbank123 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:35 pm
MrT wrote:
Ornstein has been saying that Wenger wanted to leave at the end of last season but the board didn't have a suitable candidate to replace him so offered him a new deal. What a shit show if that's true.

However, it is my understanding Wenger was closer to walking away towards the end of last season than we knew at the time. Those closest to him were advising him to leave on a high after the FA Cup win against Chelsea in May.

But at that time, Arsenal did not have a plan in place to replace him. They were not set up to start a recruitment process. Wenger knew as much and felt - rightly or wrongly - that he would be leaving them in the lurch. He felt it was an obligation to carry on and he thought he could have one last crack at leading this team to success.

As much as anything else, if it was just a case of the great man selflessly seeing the club through a transition it would have been a one-year deal.

He would never have walked away completely of his own volition. This spin they’ve put on this is bollocks - it’s convenient for both sides but make no mistakes, he has been sacked.

And I suspect that he leaked the news today without prior agreement from the board - I cannot see any other reason to call an urgent press conference only to sidestep most of the questions asked, if it wasnt for gazidas to try and regain control of the situation

MrT

Post by MrT »

northbank123 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:35 pm
MrT wrote:

They (Kroenke) could have just given him the 2 years to stop the constant speculation about his job, hoping he would magically turn it around. I don't buy that he selflessly stayed on, but I can buy the boards incompetence to an extent. Having said that, would the board at the 3rd biggest club in England not have any succession plan in place for a manager at the end of his contract and stalling on a deal? The club spin is nauseating.

Can't stand the Gazidis smarmy bollocks about Wenger. Gushing praise over a man that single-handedly turned the club into a laughing stock of world football.

Either way, he's gone and after 3 years I can finally go to a game again.

augie

Post by augie »

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Well we know he was pushed but tried to make it look like it was his choice.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Not that it hugely matters but does anybody really think that Wenger has freely accepted that he’s not the best person for the job any more after his years of arrogance and all this bollocks about seeing contracts out?

No bollocks about leaving to explore new oportunities or any of the other ***** which would make it seem his choice.

Kroenke does not give two shits about Arsenal as a football club but let’s be honest he’s not an idiot. Wenger just about delivered enough to keep the club commercially competitive, was happy to keep the pursestrings tight and deflected flak. For a while now he has been performing as badly as any manager realistically could, burning through money (both transfers and wages) and the stadium has been half empty for months on end.

He’s been forced out / sacked. Forget football, it’s a no-brainer business decision.

augie

Post by augie »

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I thought he should have gone when we were racing top four with Villa in the 08/09 campaign, this has cemented over the years, mainly with the League Cup final loss to Birmingham City, the sub-par transfer windows and season preparations (who remembers the last second trolly dash which gave us the likes of Andre Santos?) and some truly abysmal results, losing 8-2 (United), 6-0 (Chelsea) 5-1 (Liverpool) 10-2 (Bayern) etc. It's been very consistent over the years and this has been a long time coming.

I'm grateful for all the good times, truly grateful. I also can't forgive some of the worst times. I wish him all the best, but we're overdue a fresh approach.

MAX ALLGRI'S RED AND WHITE ARMY!!!!!! :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:48 pm
Here's my farewell message to him.

Shut the door on the way out. You trashed your legacy, creamed over 100 million off the club in wages you were no longer earning and did none of it for the good of the club.

Next please
:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:32 am
Bob Bayliss wrote:

Shut the door on the way out. You trashed your legacy, creamed over 100 million off the club in wages you were no longer earning and did none of it for the good of the club.

Next please
Still managed to take another £11 million, for his contract pay out....what is this a near 70 year old man going to spend it all on???

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Redarmy wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:40 am
Almunia is a clown wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:32 am
Bob Bayliss wrote:

Next please
Still managed to take another £11 million, for his contract pay out....what is this a near 70 year old man going to spend it all on???
Anyway that aside looks like those thousands of stay away fans plus the incredible away record finally done for him...

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Glad he is going at last but it is too long overdue.
I felt after the 2006 Champions League Final the cracks were beginning to show. I'm not saying I was calling for his head that night but I did feel his aftermatch press conference was bitter and not the "Arsenal "way.
Certainly in hindsight the Gallas episode at Birmingham should have set alarm bells off as it was the first sign that the manager wasn't in control. The fallout from that may have cost us a title.
The downward spiral ever since has been allowed for too long, the heavy beatings and the half hearted performances shouldn't have been tolerated. It is indicative of 2018 Arsenal PLC that the sight of empty seats was more of a catalyst for change than a anything on the pitch for the previous ten years.
While I will never forget the first half of his reign and will be forever grateful for what it produced I still believe that his legacy is tarnished by what happened since .We have won three trophies in thirteen years which is the same amount as Manchester United have won in the "turbulent years " since Ferguson retired in 2013. The same "turbulent years " scenario that had pundits and his disciples warning against changing manager at Arsenal.
We have carefully wished for this time to come , we have craved it and thank you to those who despite ridicule and abuse from others within the fan base and beyond, who took the cause to the streets and the away grounds to highlight what was glaringly obvious to us.
I found the gushing praise last night from all hard to take. Gary Neville demanding respect from all supporters as a fitting exit. Yes Gary by all means So no "paedo " song at Old Trafford next week .Gary you can influence that.You didn't in your playing days when it was loud and clear from the stands.
I won't be joining in the long goodbyes, I'm glad he is going but to my thinking it is too late the humiliations at Old Trafford, Munich, Anfield, Stamford Bridge etc right down to Bournemouth, Brighton etc are not that easily forgotten.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Bradywasking wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:50 am
Glad he is going at last but it is too long overdue.
I felt after the 2006 Champions League Final the cracks were beginning to show. I'm not saying I was calling for his head that night but I did feel his aftermatch press conference was bitter and not the "Arsenal "way.
Certainly in hindsight the Gallas episode at Birmingham should have set alarm bells off as it was the first sign that the manager wasn't in control. The fallout from that may have cost us a title.
The downward spiral ever since has been allowed for too long, the heavy beatings and the half hearted performances shouldn't have been tolerated. It is indicative of 2018 Arsenal PLC that the sight of empty seats was more of a catalyst for change than a anything on the pitch for the previous ten years.
While I will never forget the first half of his reign and will be forever grateful for what it produced I still believe that his legacy is tarnished by what happened since .We have won three trophies in thirteen years which is the same amount as Manchester United have won in the "turbulent years " since Ferguson retired in 2013. The same "turbulent years " scenario that had pundits and his disciples warning against changing manager at Arsenal.
We have carefully wished for this time to come , we have craved it and thank you to those who despite ridicule and abuse from others within the fan base and beyond, who took the cause to the streets and the away grounds to highlight what was glaringly obvious to us.
I found the gushing praise last night from all hard to take. Gary Neville demanding respect from all supporters as a fitting exit. Yes Gary by all means So no "paedo " song at Old Trafford next week .Gary you can influence that.You didn't in your playing days when it was loud and clear from the stands.
I won't be joining in the long goodbyes, I'm glad he is going but to my thinking it is too late the humiliations at Old Trafford, Munich, Anfield, Stamford Bridge etc right down to Bournemouth, Brighton etc are not that easily forgotten.
Fantastic post BWK 8)
I don't think he ever recovered after the end of the unbeaten run(it also gave him free pass in the eyes of many to fanny around with his vanity project for years) then selling Paddy and never replacing him followed by his treatment of Pires :cry: like you say the cracks first appeared years ago.I remember being down at Wigan in 2009? it was 2-2 and a complete tactical fuck up by le bulbeye as usual :oops: and I had been Wenger Out for a good couple of years by then.Feck me we've waited a long time for this.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

northbank123 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:49 pm
Not that it hugely matters but does anybody really think that Wenger has freely accepted that he’s not the best person for the job any more after his years of arrogance and all this bollocks about seeing contracts out?

No bollocks about leaving to explore new oportunities or any of the other ***** which would make it seem his choice.

Kroenke does not give two shits about Arsenal as a football club but let’s be honest he’s not an idiot. Wenger just about delivered enough to keep the club commercially competitive, was happy to keep the pursestrings tight and deflected flak. For a while now he has been performing as badly as any manager realistically could, burning through money (both transfers and wages) and the stadium has been half empty for months on end.

He’s been forced out / sacked. Forget football, it’s a no-brainer business decision.

The 5pm rushed tv interview was interesting timing, after "The Arrogant Fucker" let the cat out of the bag for his own egotistical swan song....
I never watched the staged what a great :blah: :blah: :blah: he was, but all these reports of players in tears at the news, on please pass me the bucket, more like tears of laughter....
Sorry if I sound disrespectful to this shadow of what he once was, but I feel the fucker held this club to ransom, and has done more damage than good, once all his yes men had been crushed, Josh Kroenke stabbed the fucker in the back, like he had done over his 22 year rule to a lot of good players and personnel.
He became a tyrant in my eyes, and the half empty stadia spoke volumes, well done to those who stayed away , I went once for the AC Milan game.
Now we will have to put up with Der Fuhrers final 30 days in his bunker, getting daily plaudits of how he changed football.
God help us through the charade!....