Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

xgtdec

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by xgtdec »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:25 pm
the playing mantis wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:08 pm
He ain't going anywhere, he's 'elite' in the eyes of most fans, influential bloggers and social media.

You want to check out le grove blog today ,it will open your eyes how true your post is :lol:
as an extract

""We’ve had one bad game in 6 weeks. We’ve had some terrible results in that period. There has been no luck. We conceded 2 goals from 3 shots on target today. 2 goals from 4 shots on target against Fulham. 2 goals off 3 on target against West Ham. That’s 6 goals off ten shots on target. We have taken 63 shots over those three games and recorded 0 goals.

I’m telling you, the tide will turn, players will return to form, and we’ll go on a tear in the back half of the season.""

le grove.......french for c0ck sucker

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

xgtdec wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:02 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
He ain't going anywhere, he's 'elite' in the eyes of most fans, influential bloggers and social media.

You want to check out le grove blog today ,it will open your eyes how true your post is :lol:
as an extract

""We’ve had one bad game in 6 weeks. We’ve had some terrible results in that period. There has been no luck. We conceded 2 goals from 3 shots on target today. 2 goals from 4 shots on target against Fulham. 2 goals off 3 on target against West Ham. That’s 6 goals off ten shots on target. We have taken 63 shots over those three games and recorded 0 goals.

I’m telling you, the tide will turn, players will return to form, and we’ll go on a tear in the back half of the season.""

At least the comments under it are making some sense

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

xgtdec wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

as an extract

Absolutely. Without generalising too much, the Gen Z population seem to be massively in favour - my son is 23 and he and his mates, think Arteta has got it all. I think they buy all the 'clever chat' and slick presentation skills. In fairness my lad was born in 2000, so too young when the Invincibles were doing their thing and then had the late Wenger years to suffer while they were growing up, so to some degree I get why Arteta feels like an upgrade and offers them hope value.

However, most of us older folk have seen various different cycles over the years and the false hope that Wenger's sides of 2006, 2009 etc offered before the inevitable collapse. The constant 'two players from perfection' cycle seems to me like it has gone on now for 18 years and I'm bored of it.

The point about 63 shots and 1 goal - the Gen Z says 'bad luck', the old man says 'no bad luck - seen all this before when we didn't buy Vardy and stuck with Giroud, sold RvP etc'. We aren't scoring goals - not because of bad luck but because we haven't got the right players. Jesus never had a great goalscoring record, Nketiah never will have. That means we would need Saka, Martinelli and Odegaard to consistently net 12+ each every season and that won't happen.

It will take something monumental to overhaul City - no doubt about it. Only Liverpool have managed it once in the past six years. If you look at how they did it, they had a back four that barely changed every single week, the top goalkeeper arguably in world football and three attacking players that scored for fun. They posed an attacking threat in every single game - Salah, Firmino and Mane - unstoppable. That front three scored 46 PL goals between them that season. Our preferred front three of Jesus, Martinelli and Saka this season have scored 11 between them so far

Nobody available and whose fault is that? Solanke 12, Bowen, 11, Isak 9 , Watkins 9 - all players that were available.....I'd argue all on that list apart from Isak still are. Joao Pedro has walked into Brighton as a squad player and outscored all of our players. People talk about Toney being out of range but in his absence Mbuemo has scored more than any of ours.

When he says things are 'unrealistic' in this window he's in even more danger of sounding like Wenger and another reason I'm sick of it. There's a list of players above all of whom would walk barefoot over glass to sign for the Arsenal.

augie

Post by augie »

Steve O I agree that we are in a desperate need of a quality striker, but honest to god I would rather stick with what we have than sign solanke - as the old saying goes, "even a broken clock is right twice a day" and this to me is solanke's day in the sun when he has been mostly shit throughout his career.

I was chatting rodders via pm last week and I referred back to my post in the season prediction thread last July when I said that I would sign mitrovic or vardy and he (understandably) called me a crazy b*stard :lol: The reality is now and was then that we havent got the funds to buy the top quality striker we all want, but I have always been a big believer in the "natural striker" type of player and both of those fit that mode imo - neither are wonderful technical players, and neither are big physically powerful strikers, but imo both are proper finishers who live for scoring goals, and it saddens me how many chances we are missing that a natural goal scorer would devour. This again is where a more pragmatic manager would show his worth by accepting that Toney and Osimhen are out of our range and would then go for a cheaper short term proven option, but this fool will not deviate from what works in his head and hence why we will continue to flounder and blame individual players for our failings, instead of focusing on the guy who picks them and the failing system

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:56 pm
Steve O I agree that we are in a desperate need of a quality striker, but honest to god I would rather stick with what we have than sign solanke - as the old saying goes, "even a broken clock is right twice a day" and this to me is solanke's day in the sun when he has been mostly shit throughout his career.

I was chatting rodders via pm last week and I referred back to my post in the season prediction thread last July when I said that I would sign mitrovic or vardy and he (understandably) called me a crazy b*stard :lol: The reality is now and was then that we havent got the funds to buy the top quality striker we all want, but I have always been a big believer in the "natural striker" type of player and both of those fit that mode imo - neither are wonderful technical players, and neither are big physically powerful strikers, but imo both are proper finishers who live for scoring goals, and it saddens me how many chances we are missing that a natural goal scorer would devour. This again is where a more pragmatic manager would show his worth by accepting that Toney and Osimhen are out of our range and would then go for a cheaper short term proven option, but this fool will not deviate from what works in his head and hence why we will continue to flounder and blame individual players for our failings, instead of focusing on the guy who picks them and the failing system
Yeah, I'm not big on paying £60m+ for Solanke which no doubt would be the price. I do think he is a more rounded player now than before and it does follow sometimes that a striker develops later in his career. The lad is 26 now and arguably coming into his peak years but in no way am I saying we should shell out top dollar. My point was more that when he says "it isn't realistic" to sign a striker in January, his followers are reading into that that he means Toney being quoted at 80m point. The list of players I put forward merely suggested that over the course of the past year or so others have been available who have gone on to shine at other clubs. I think Watkins cost about 26m and look at him for example - I really think he's a decent player. Isak was an option, albeit more expensive. He has failed miserably to sign a striker and now clubs know we are desperate mid-season it probably is 'unrealistic', but whose fault is that? Whilst he spent time fucking about signing Havertz and Raya, most of us knew we needed neither and all of the focus should have been on a centre forward. What's worse is that he sold one, Balogun, to help fund those other decisions. I'm not saying he was the answer too by the way, but we already lacked options in that part of the field and he left us even shorter to pursue those other options. I have little interest in foreign football so not qualified to talk about overseas options, but how can Brighton continue to unearth these gems? None of them cost them 60m+, but every year they find a Mitoma or Pedro.

wibble

Post by wibble »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:59 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:55 am
I don't know.... its almost like appointing a novice as manager of a huge club is a bad idea.... :shock:
And if we go back to the start of the thread, I think I posted a stat about managers under the age of 40 being appointed to PL teams and how the average time they spent in the job was somewhere between 12-18 months. I also remember looking at the age of 'elite' managers when they were at the peak of their powers. Wenger was 54 when the Invincibles were crowned, and 48 when we he won his first title/double here. Klopp was 49 when appointed Liverpool manager and turning 52 when they won the CL, 53 when they won the league. Pep is 52 now. Maureen was an exception being only 41 when Porto won the CL and a year older when winning the Chavs the title, but look at the resources at his disposal in those early Chavski years. He'd also been a manager for 4 years before landing that CL with Porto, which was something of a fluke :wink: in any event. You can be too old, you can be too young and there will be the odd exception to the rule but generally speaking late 40s/early 50s with somewhere in the region of 7 years+ managerial experience is when the top guys peak, If you look at CEOs of top companies generally speaking there aren't many 37 year olds landing those roles.

There's a reason - maybe someone should point it out to Wiggy Jnr
So what are you thinking SteveO? Give Arteta another ten years and we should be on to a winner?

augie

Post by augie »

As I said before Steve O, I seriously dont believe that el basque wants to sign a striker anyway - I feel that he is STILL totally committed to jesus and believes that he can score the necessary goals, despite history painting a totally different story. There is no logic to the mans transfer business - in the summer we all knew that we needed to sign a proven quality striker, so what does el basque do ? He sell's a striker and doesnt bother buying one :roll: He then sends not one but TWO left backs out on loan but again doesnt bother to bring one in to replace them, so now we are left with a left back who cant defend, a centre back with no pace, or a right back playing on the wrong side :oops: Pathetic business it really is :oops: :oops:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

wibble wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:49 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:59 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
I don't know.... its almost like appointing a novice as manager of a huge club is a bad idea.... :shock:
And if we go back to the start of the thread, I think I posted a stat about managers under the age of 40 being appointed to PL teams and how the average time they spent in the job was somewhere between 12-18 months. I also remember looking at the age of 'elite' managers when they were at the peak of their powers. Wenger was 54 when the Invincibles were crowned, and 48 when we he won his first title/double here. Klopp was 49 when appointed Liverpool manager and turning 52 when they won the CL, 53 when they won the league. Pep is 52 now. Maureen was an exception being only 41 when Porto won the CL and a year older when winning the Chavs the title, but look at the resources at his disposal in those early Chavski years. He'd also been a manager for 4 years before landing that CL with Porto, which was something of a fluke :wink: in any event. You can be too old, you can be too young and there will be the odd exception to the rule but generally speaking late 40s/early 50s with somewhere in the region of 7 years+ managerial experience is when the top guys peak, If you look at CEOs of top companies generally speaking there aren't many 37 year olds landing those roles.

There's a reason - maybe someone should point it out to Wiggy Jnr
So what are you thinking SteveO? Give Arteta another ten years and we should be on to a winner?
There's always "the never will be" category mate! But perhaps in 10 years he might have at least learnt how to balance a squad properly!

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Just reading through differebt stuff today, it seems as if two camps exist with little in the middle. We've got the blind optimism that last season's six decent months were a true sign of what the team can achieve rather than a flash in the pan and the other side of the fence being the jaded, seen it all before realists who just know how it all ends because we've seen it all so often. Not enough has changed to make us believe that this time it's going to be any different.
We're heading slowly towards another split fanbase, a reboot of the 2008-18 saga which will do nobody any good. Nobody's got the energy left for it all again. Nobody can be bothered with the whole "you don't care about the club" just because they see the problems and want them fixed. It'll be better all round if this gets solved over the summer. Put Arteta in the Gerrard Houllier/ Brendan Rogers / Ron Atkinson category of managers that had a go, put their club back up there challenging but when it came to it, needed replacing by someone better who could win major honours. It's OK to admit that it hasn't fully worked as a club and make a change rather than end up in the painful emotional misery of another Wanker fiasco.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

:shock:
xgtdec wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

as an extract

:shock: Fuck me thats embarrassing stuff :oops: He should rename himself Le Groove :oops:

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Le grove is an idiot.

He thinks Eddie is a 'very good player' ffs.

Utter club shill.

Doesn't even go to games as is in soccer ball land, could he be Wilson???!!

Gives you oirish chaps a bad name!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:21 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

I understand your thought process buddy but he is 4 years into the job now and this rookie/novice thing is no longer a factor imo - if he made these mistakes 4 years ago then fair enough we would all point to his inexperience, but the mistakes he is making every single week are down to arrogance and it is the same type of arrogance the french cock had and he was a manager for forty years at that stage. That arrogance is something that is either in you or it isnt and has nothing to do with experience or age - the basque cock thinks that he knows best (his bigging up havertz a few weeks back was a prime example), and he refuses to adapt or learn. A top manager (with the exception of the portugese c.unt) is humble, always willing to learn, and more often than not is gonna have someone alongside him that he trusts and will listen to - an arrogant cock believes that he is always right and surrounds himself with yes men who support that narrative, and never wavers from the opinions he formed on day one. In this particular instance just look at kiwor as another example - he is a young kid in his first season in the league and has scarcely played, and yet diet pep still expects him to play the inverted full back role when zinchenko isnt playing - ffs it is questionable if the kid is good enough for this level as it is, without this basque cock heaping more pressure on him by expecting him to be a fcuking midfield playmaker too :evil: :evil: He is hanging out this kid because his system and tactics must remain regardless of whether it suits the available players or not :censored: :censored:
You completely missed my point augster. I'm not saying he is making these mistakes after 4 years in the job. I'm saying how the fuck was he given the job, and how did the owners think it would turn out any other way?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

My prediction for the next press conference is that Arteta will finally get round to saying "Overall, I believe that" and tell the world that we are searching day and night only for super, top top quality before Fred Jones from Scooby Doo walks on to the stand and removes the mask only to discover that There's Only One has been running the club all this time

Overall I believe that I would have got away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids (I decided to sign instead of real men)

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

How many times have we been down the emergency striker path ? Mariner and Suker , Jeffers they rarely work out in the long run . Sometimes it's better to keep the cash than waste it .
Gambling is great when it comes off but when it doesn't !!

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

I don't think jeffers and suker were emergency strikers.

Jeffers was in theory one of the best young prospects and different type to what we had, fox in the box...

He couldn't hack the pressure.

Suker was recently WC golden boot I think and top class, ageing yes but he contributed and imo was underused by wenger. Yes he came in when anelka was sold but wasn't an emergency, an opportunity more like.