Poppy/McLean thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
REB

Re: Poppy/McLean thread

Post by REB »

keane is a legend, end of :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Lads, We can only keep this thread open if there is no more personal abuse. Please. Let's debate this like adults. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Sid - I don't dish out the warnings if I can avoid it, and am not going to here, but please lay off the personal abuse, mate.

Safcftm - I wouldn't read too much into Reid's choice of the name "Saoirse", it's a very common name in Oireland and alot of people don't know what it means tbh! :wink:

Anyballs, let's keep it respectful of each other, peeps! :|
Fair enough, sorry safcftm, but when you see one of your own getting slated, it's easy to lose the rag.
Now I know how Reb feels when we call Roy Keane a f****ing sheep shagging pikey b*****d, dirty fucking ridebag of a whores b*****d. Difference here though is we all know that to be true except Reb :wink:
True. And piss-funny. :lol:

But true. 8)

:wink:

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

goonersid wrote: Fair enough, sorry safcftm, but when you see one of your own getting slated, it's easy to lose the rag.
Now I know how Reb feels when we call Roy Keane a f****ing sheep shagging pikey b*****d, dirty fucking ridebag of a whores b*****d. Difference here though is we all know that to be true except Reb :wink:
No bother at all mate, its a football forum, I expect a bit of abuse :wink:
I know what its like when someone is criticising one of your own, you do tend to want to defend them, I think this issue is just one of those ones that no matter how much its discussed people will have their opinion and won't be likely to change it. I can see your point to be fair, from where McClean comes from the poppy won't be seen in the same way as it is here and he might even think that raising money for the RBL which then helps ex servicemen might mean that it ends up helping some of the people who have committed terrible acts in his city and therefore he might be against it. Equally in a place where feelings against the british army are no doubt still quite strong (we'd know about not moving on, Sunderland people still to a man hate Thatcher, even those born after she left) he might simply have felt that wearing the poppy would risk putting him or his family in danger because of a few idiots.

Maybe it would help if he came out and explained the situation, if he said it was a personal choice and that he meant absolutely no disrespect to the people and the families of the people from Sunderland who are serving now, who have served and especially those who lost their lives fighting various wars that they may not have agreed with then maybe it would be forgiven and forgotten, he's absolutely welcome to hate those who make decisions about wars etc all he wants, a lot of us don't agree with the wars we've been wasting lives in and almost everyone is ashamed of Bloody Sunday. Until he sets the record straight however there will be a feeling that it is simply disrespectful to a lot of people who help pay his wages and when playing for a club from a city where, due to economic hardships, a lot of lads and lasses sign up to the forces and where a lot of families are sitting anxiously waiting for their loved ones to come home, he really needs to be careful about how he makes his point.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Herd wrote:Its a football thread so why move it ?
I'm not sure it is, to be honest.

It looks more like a discussion about the Irish, British Army, poppy appeal and whether someone was out of order for refusing to wear it.

Still, I don't like moving threads, but I genuinely thought it was the correct thing to do at the time. I do my best to get these decisions right, but accept that not everyone will agree.

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

I've been to loads of Rememberance Parades over the years, but I am dreading next year - I go to Pencoed to represent the Fire Service - the small town has lost 2 soldiers in Afghanistan in the last 3 years. Every year I see the parents, the widow and daughter of L/Sgt Tobie Fasfous lay a wreath under his name, touch the plaque and bow their heads. There are some veterans, serving members of the armed forces, along with the emergency services there and I guarantee that everyone has a lump in their throat and a tear in the eye when that little girl goes up to lay the wreath.

If by buying a poppy and wearing it means that I can contribute to the families of those who have served and have suffered loss or injury then I will gladly pay and wear it with pride. My daughters middle name is Poppy cant think of a better way to remember.

Goose

Post by Goose »

McClean removed from Twitter after Sunderland winger's controversial comments spark IRA sectarian row

:rubchin:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z2M39CrC3m

RoscommonGooner

Post by RoscommonGooner »

Goose wrote:McClean removed from Twitter after Sunderland winger's controversial comments spark IRA sectarian row

:rubchin:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z2M39CrC3m

The lad is clearly an idiot. But FFS The Daily Mail do love to sensationalize a nothing story.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

It is a nothing story being sensationalised by a shit paper. :roll:

BUT

The idiot does make his living in a country where most people would be offended by his stupid comment. I mean it wouldn't be right for me to earn my living in (let's say) Saudi Arabia and mouth off in a manner I know would offend the locals. No difference here.

He needs to grow up, shut up and just get on with the football. The gobshite. :roll:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Why can't people in these volatile areas forget about the past? FFS i dont dislike Germans or Italians because my grandad fought them in the 40's...... Its time to get on and get over the past isn't it?

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

People do not forget about the past though.
Wounds run deep.

But this story is a fuss about nothing.

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

The lad is a fucking idiot. Seriously, when you've already had death threats and all sorts for not wearing a poppy why the fuck would you go and start telling the world that your favourite song is a fucking "rebel" song. I don't like the little prick but tbh I don't really care what songs he likes but why give people the obvious opportunity to stir up trouble again. We all get the idea James, with the not wearing the poppy thing, the "welcome to free derry" picture and the liking of The Broad Black Brimmer we know perfectly well that you're in favour of a united ireland, we know, we've heard, we don't really care, now shut the fuck up before the wrong people also assume you're in favour of the IRA and decide to smack the fuck out of you (he's a prick but I wouldn't want to see him end up getting battered, he should shut up for his own sake).

Does nothing but look for controversy as if he wants to become some sort of hero amongst republicans, the quicker we get the stupid little kid out of SAFC the better and I'd say that if he was doing similar things in favour of the Unionists, he's here to play football (which he's been doing a pretty shit job of this season) not to get involved in politics which, judging by the fact he is one of the thickest fuckers I've ever seen, he's too stupid to understand. Hopefully this time he's been banned from twitter for good, and hopefully we peddle him in the summer, fucking sick of him, just too stupid for words.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Tis a great fucking rousing song though :wink:

There's a uniform that's hanging in what's known as father's room
a uniform so simple in it's style it has no braid of gold no silk no hat of feathered plume
yet me mother has preserved it all the while

Come on sing along ya boy yee :barscarf: :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I'll say it time and time again - Twitter is a dangerous medium for very stupid people (not just footballers) to get themselves in trouble. This isn't McClean's first instance and it's not only 'political' bollocks - he's also mouthed off at Trapattoni for dropping him and I've seen him being an idiot and winding up NI football fans.

Agents/PR managers (in some cases)/publicists would never allow their client to give an interview to a reporter saying something so fucking stupid as this, but there's nothing they can do if some stupid prick decides to pick up his phone, type for 10 seconds and press Enter.

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

goonersid wrote:Tis a great fucking rousing song though :wink:

a uniform so simple in it's style it has no braid of gold no silk no hat of feathered plume

:lol: can't say I've ever heard it tbh, might give it a listen. That fields of athenry is a decent song when its not being murdered by scousers like

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

safcftm wrote:
goonersid wrote:Tis a great fucking rousing song though :wink:

:lol: can't say I've ever heard it tbh, might give it a listen. That fields of athenry is a decent song when its not being murdered by scousers like
Maybe if you can get the home crowd to give it a bash James might rediscover last season's form :wink: