Arsenal - thanks for the memories.....

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Sean

Re: Arsenal - thanks for the memories.....

Post by Sean »

The night I really fell in love with The Arsenal:

phpBB [video]

My first full season as an Arsenal fan:

phpBB [video]

Look at all those forward passes and through balls! Actual attacking football - With a mean defence to boot. And this was when we were 'crap' :barscarf:

DB10GOONER wrote:I love these type of threads, I really do, nostalgic old bastard that I am.

In these times of mercenary millionaire players, corporate whore owners, pimped clubs, shit JCL fans, and generic LEGO stadiums, it's heart warming to remember just what a great club we used to be. Some brilliant images, lads. Keep them coming. 8)
Absolutely! I'm also a nostalgic fucker as well and I'm not even an old fart yet :lol: :barscarf:

I have always been appreciative of the club's history and have been lucky enough to have seen more history being made, before things went sour.
Clash wrote:Yeah I love these type of threads too. Totally agree with what you say.

Whenever I watch or read about the old stuff I can feel that passionate feeling burning inside me ... but as soon as I see anything in the Emirates era it is like a roaring flame having a bucket of water chucked on it. I was watching the Henry goals DVD the other day. Turned it off when the 06/07 season started. This era is just not Arsenal for me.
Yes. What a sad indictment of what the club has become :(

armchair

Post by armchair »

Brian Talbot. Still one of my favourite ever Arsenal players. Loved the way he ran, non-stop for 90mins flat out.

Did and interesting piece on .com. Some of the things he said about how that '79 cup winning team were allowed to break up and never replaced is similar to how the invincibles, on the brink of total domination were allowed to dissolve within a couple years.
http://www.arsenal.com/news/features/20 ... ian-talbot

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

armchair wrote:Brian Talbot. Still one of my favourite ever Arsenal players. Loved the way he ran, non-stop for 90mins flat out.

Did and interesting piece on .com. Some of the things he said about how that '79 cup winning team were allowed to break up and never replaced is similar to how the invincibles, on the brink of total domination were allowed to dissolve within a couple years.
http://www.arsenal.com/news/features/20 ... ian-talbot

Such a good player, really underestimated during the early '80's.
Picture of my favourite home kit. That was the first Arsenal top I owned.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Watched the '02 cup final on Holiday and it made my week. I only found out after that part-time human and professional *word censored*, Tim Lovejoy came out with his infamous "it's only Ray Parlour" line afterwards. Classic. :barscarf:

phpBB [video]

officepest

Post by officepest »

I understand that Sir Thierry of Henry has this framed in his house, 'nuff said. :barscarf:

phpBB [video]

Sean

Post by Sean »

I still love the 1994-96 lightning bolt kit :barscarf:

It was the only home shirt I had :(

phpBB [video]

armchair

Post by armchair »

DB10GOONER wrote:I love these type of threads, I really do, nostalgic old bastard that I am.

In these times of mercenary millionaire players, corporate whore owners, pimped clubs, shit JCL fans, and generic LEGO stadiums, it's heart warming to remember just what a great club we used to be. Some brilliant images, lads. Keep them coming. 8)
Yes mate. Im one of the biggest moaners and complainers on here but I thought it'd be nice to have a nice, positive thread where we can all agree and celebrate the club for a change instead of moaning about things and arguing. UTA!
:barscarf:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I'm enjoying the thread.

Could one of you youngsters explain how to post an image.

I thought it was obvious, but apparently not.

officepest

Post by officepest »

GranadaJoe wrote:I'm enjoying the thread.

Joe:

Goggle the image you want, then copy the YouTube (for example) link once you've found it. Then, click the red 'video' box when you're posting a reply on the OG and paste it between the words: -
phpBB [video]

Preview your post to make sure the url is supported and you're good to go. If it's a still image you're after, then follow the same process but click the 'insert image' icon which is next to the asterisky looking thing and the handcuffy icon.

That's how I'm doing it anyhoo.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

officepest wrote:

Joe:

Goggle the image you want, then copy the YouTube (for example) link once you've found it. Then, click the red 'video' box when you're posting a reply on the OG and paste it between the words: -
phpBB [video]

Preview your post to make sure the url is supported and you're good to go. If it's a still image you're after, then follow the same process but click the 'insert image' icon which is next to the asterisky looking thing and the handcuffy icon.

I see you have a pretty loose definition of the word "youngster" there, mate! :D :wink:

officepest

Post by officepest »

DB10GOONER wrote:
officepest wrote:

Joe:

phpBB [video]

I see you have a pretty loose definition of the word "youngster" there, mate! :D :wink:
:lol:

Life begins at 38. :barscarf:

Compared to some on here, who were witness to the inception of Magna Carta, I'm a veritable spring chicken. :wink:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

just found this.
Highbury in the 1930s. :shock:

bit ironic to think that we left Highbury so that more people could attend matches

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunner Rob wrote:Image

just found this.
Highbury in the 1930s. :shock:

bit ironic to think that we left Highbury so that more people could attend matches
And so we could compete with Europe's elite. Don't forget all the times we've competed with Europe's elite since we - oh, hang on. :eh:

officepest

Post by officepest »

Dear Arsene,

Here is a video of Arsenal involved in a European final in 1994 (before you built the club). Alan Smith is about to score a ‘goal’ (not expected). After we scored this ‘goal’ we, as a team, practise something called ‘defending’. After the final whistle is blown we win something called a ‘European trophy’.

Happy to help.

phpBB [video]

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

officepest wrote:Dear Arsene,

Here is a video of Arsenal involved in a European final in 1994 (before you built the club). Alan Smith is about to score a ‘goal’ (not expected). After we scored this ‘goal’ we, as a team, practise something called ‘defending’. After the final whistle is blown we win something called a ‘European trophy’.

Happy to help.

phpBB [video]
Huh? :eh: What do these words mean? What are you talking about? :mizznaughty: