Oxlade-Chamberlain

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Skooner

Re: Oxlade-Chamberlain

Post by Skooner »

Not sure I've seen someone I thought was so promising regress quite this much. I've previously not had him in the same bracket as Walcott, who I never expected to hit the heights predicted as his pace was by far his biggest weapon and not a great deal of football ability (remember when he used to run off without the ball all the time?).

The Ox in the early days had decent pace, was able to run with the ball at his feet comfortably, could go inside or out as decent with both feet and was generally pretty positive about running at people, taking shots from outside the area etc. Yes he needed to add some consistency to his final ball/decision making but was generally excited by him as he came into the team.

Now it feels like everything he touches goes wrong, his passing is poor, he can't beat a man, he's taking unnecessary risks and most of all he doesn't seem to have the attitude to really want to change it. Yesterday there was a bit more effort that in recent weeks but still not the required standard.

Some blame can probably be put at Wengers door but ultimately it's his attitude and determination which will decide what sort of player he turns out to be. Can't help but feel it's these sorts of situations where the old reserves league would be very useful. We are never going to loan someone like the Ox out as we need him squad wise and clubs only use the U21's to get players back to fitness post injury but the Ox needs game time to sort himself out but at the moment he doesn't deserve game time in the first team.

Blade

Post by Blade »

Short passing training drills on half the Colney patch, does it really help him?

Match days he just wants to run[no matter what's in front] with the ball from halfway line.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

surely instead of roasting the poor bugger and getting on his back. A few chorus at games about him and getting behind the lad would help.

Football is a confidence thing and i think due to injuries and lack of playing time. He is struggling big style with confidence, and at the mo it seems every decision he makes just seems to be the wrong one.

So come on this weekend against Chelsea if he plays, let's give the lad some support. :D :D

I think even Churchill would proud of my statement. :barscarf: :barscarf:

wibble

Post by wibble »

Rosie_titters wrote:surely instead of roasting the poor bugger and getting on his back. A few chorus at games about him and getting behind the lad would help.

Football is a confidence thing and i think due to injuries and lack of playing time. He is struggling big style with confidence, and at the mo it seems every decision he makes just seems to be the wrong one.

So come on this weekend against Chelsea if he plays, let's give the lad some support. :D :D

Oooh yes. Sorry, did you mean a different Churchill?

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Rosie_titters wrote:surely instead of roasting the poor bugger and getting on his back. A few chorus at games about him and getting behind the lad would help.

You may be drunk in the morning Rosie, but I will still be ugly !!

foxinthebox2001

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

It was noticeable against Stoke how often the Ox breaks down attacks.... our attacks.

Blade

Post by Blade »

And how many times ball gets tangled between his feet with no opp near him.

Kevaldo

Post by Kevaldo »

Simply keeping possession is a struggle for him on current form let alone penetrating the opposition... Put him in the same team as Walcott and Flamini to a lesser extent and we make the Stoke look like Barcelona :shock:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Fuck me the Ox hating is now reaching ridiculous proportions. No doubt a number of the same critics were calling for current flavour of the month Joel Campbell to be sold just a few weeks. :banghead: :banghead: :roll:

For the love of Judas H. Priest......if you guys haven't already seen or can't recognise the ability and potential in Oxlade Chamberlain (or even understand why he might be struggling currently) then I would have to question your judgement of a player and even perhaps knowledge of football!! :cry:

There - I finally said it!! :box: :box: :box: :lol: :wink:

markyp

Post by markyp »

I Hate Hleb wrote:Fuck me the Ox hating is now reaching ridiculous proportions. No doubt a number of the same critics were calling for current flavour of the month Joel Campbell to be sold just a few weeks. :banghead: :banghead: :roll:

For the love of Judas H. Priest......if you guys haven't already seen or can't recognise the ability and potential in Oxlade Chamberlain (or even understand why he might be struggling currently) then I would have to question your judgement of a player and even perhaps knowledge of football!! :cry:

AGREE 100%

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

markyp wrote:
I Hate Hleb wrote:Fuck me the Ox hating is now reaching ridiculous proportions. No doubt a number of the same critics were calling for current flavour of the month Joel Campbell to be sold just a few weeks. :banghead: :banghead: :roll:

AGREE 100%
Erm.....should I be worried? :wink: :lol: :lol: :wink:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

There Are None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See :lol:

foxinthebox2001

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Well from the start he had the contract clause which didnt help, play +20 minutes in a game and pay Southampton £10k, and being such a traditionally frugal club, that is not fair on him.
Why did we agree to that?
But he is now into his 5th season with us, and still potential is mentioned, he is the prime example of how mediocrity is accepted at the club. The quality of player to help you get top 4, but not much more.

MrT

Post by MrT »

We all know Wenger can't properly coach or develop young players and add to the fact Chamberlain's low football IQ, is it any surprise how shit he has become?

With the proper coaching he could be a very good player, but we won't get that until Wenger goes.

Blade

Post by Blade »

Lost possession up-field led to goals versus:

Monaco,Dynamo,Swansea,WH,Chelsea and now Liverpool.

So much Power,talent and ability did not kick on from 2 years ago what's happening?.