Life after TH14

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonermc

Life after TH14

Post by goonermc »

I was talking(loudly)down the pub tonight with another Gooner and a few unbelievers about TH and his influence on our team. Our main talking point was about his attitude sometimes when he doesn't recieve a pass(hands on hips)and how some of our younger(or all our) players realise this and pass to him when there is a player in a far better position.

I think i'm right in saying that this season our results were slightly better without TH in the side. Do the players play with more freedom?? Is Gilberto a better Captain?? I just get a vibe from what i hear and read that TH isn't that excited with the Arsenal anymore.

My main question is simple - What would you feel if you heard that TH has left the Arsenal?? Surely you wouldn't feel as bad as if it happened this time last year?? I'm not saying that i want him sold but if it did happen then i don't think that it would be ALL negative.

stearmaster

Post by stearmaster »

I think gilbrtos drffo a better captain, henrys captincy seems to have made him stay back more, he dont seem the same as what he was a few years ago, ok players aint in there peak forever, but henrys dropped quite alot since thyen.

Pav

Post by Pav »

Henry has been fantastic for the club both on and off the pitch - he has been a geniune 'superstar' of the modern game and has bought us a hell of a lot of attention and silverware - complete Arsenal legend.

That said - he is 30 this year, so may well only have 2-3 top years left also if he is having problems with his sciatic nerve that may well cause him problems in the not too distant future.

If the stories about £17m and Eto'o are true (which I doubt very much that they are) then you'd have to go for it - £17m is not small change and Eto'o is 4 years his junior.

I'd be sad if he left obviously - he cannot be allowed to leave without a suitable replacement either, which frankly I don't see that we have one in our current squad.

Wenger won't sell unless it is right - Wright went but Anelka had started to score on a regular basis, Anelka went but we signed Henry in the same summer (although apparently Wenger wanted to keep Anelka and have a front three of Bergkamp - Anelka - Henry, how good would that have been?!).

If and it is a big if Henry does go I wouldn't be as upset as I would have been 12 or 24 months ago but it would still leave a massive hole which frankly only very few players could fill.

Pav

Post by Pav »

Henry has been fantastic for the club both on and off the pitch - he has been a geniune 'superstar' of the modern game and has bought us a hell of a lot of attention and silverware - complete Arsenal legend.

That said - he is 30 this year, so may well only have 2-3 top years left also if he is having problems with his sciatic nerve that may well cause him problems in the not too distant future.

If the stories about £17m and Eto'o are true (which I doubt very much that they are) then you'd have to go for it - £17m is not small change and Eto'o is 4 years his junior.

I'd be sad if he left obviously - he cannot be allowed to leave without a suitable replacement either, which frankly I don't see that we have one in our current squad.

Wenger won't sell unless it is right - Wright went but Anelka had started to score on a regular basis, Anelka went but we signed Henry in the same summer (although apparently Wenger wanted to keep Anelka and have a front three of Bergkamp - Anelka - Henry, how good would that have been?!).

If and it is a big if Henry does go I wouldn't be as upset as I would have been 12 or 24 months ago but it would still leave a massive hole which frankly only very few players could fill.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Gilberto may be a better captain but is he a certain starter next season.I know a lot of Gooners who believe we wont see the best of Diaby until he is moved into the middle with Cesc.
As for TH 14 the man owns us nothing he has been a credit to our great club on and off the field and for a player of his quality to stay at one club for so long in this day and age is amazing,Great players such as Zidane,Figo and Ronaldo changed clubs after about 3 years yet TH 14 stayed loyal to us.For 5 years of his time at Arsenal he was the world"s best and dont any of us ever forget that.I just hope he stays

My Left Foot

Post by My Left Foot »

I still feel deep down that TH will stay although if the rumours about £17 million + Eto'o are true I think we should do the deal.
Henry is a true legend, one of the best players in the world and he was/is OURS!

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

I desperately want Henry to stay, but only if he his heart is still in the club. If it isn't it serves no one for him to stay. I just pray the fire is still in his belly to be a Gunner.

If not, we cannot let him go until we have a ready made replacement. Not a youngster or one for the future, but a ready made goal scorer who can fill the breach and send a message to the rest of the players that we have made a step forward, not a step back.

Selling Vieira was not the big mistake, not have a replacement was. We can't make that mistake again as it took us the best part of 2 years to recover from it.

Stay or go though I don't like him as captain, but Wenger will never strip him of that now. It should be Gilberto or Toure.

All said it would be much easier if he just stayed and scored 30 goals next season!!.....please.