Wenger needs Arsenal’s lost English talent (4/6)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner.ed
Site Admin

Wenger needs Arsenal’s lost English talent (4/6)

Post by gooner.ed »

usual thread starter... david bentley. boy did we let that one slip away. imagine him getting to the by-line and whipping across some quality into the area. even with our profligacy, we'd get a fair few own goals from such service... more than hleb and theo managed between them i'd wager. ok, attitude was not all that, but rvp's hardly a saint is he?

shiftygooner

Post by shiftygooner »

It is always hard to judge how good players at clubs like Blackburn really are. You only ever hear about the games when they play well. Bentley had a few good moments during last season but what about the rest of the time. We have won the title without these type of players before and we can do it again.

All the players mentioned in this article are simply not good enough and two of them (Pennent, Bentley) also have serious attitude problems.

What we need is English players with great technique and who live off the field like Italian or Spanish players (i.e. not drunk every day off) and have a truly professional attitude for training and matches.

Sidwell looks a good solid professional and if he does well at Chelsea then we will have let one slip away, but Wenger did not want him to go, it was just that he couldn't get a game ahead of Pires, Edu, Vieira or Lungberg.

I know United have just won the title and have now spent big, but they did the same when they bought Veron and look what happened then.

There are no guarantees with any transfers, but if we could take 25% of our chances then I am pretty confident we could challenge for the title with the squad we have.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

I think Wenger got his fingers burnt when he signed Jeffers for nearly £10 million.English players always cost more for some reason,just look how much Carrick and Hargreaves cost and they are not world class.Big head Bentley thought he was the new Bergkamp but wasn"t prepared to knuckle down and earn a first team place,the same with Pennant.God did Liverpool drop a clanger when they paid £6million for him.What has Upson done since he let Arsenal spent half his time on the treatment table.And Sidwell looks good in the Reading team who wouldnt.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

"Remember that United had forwards Saha and Smith out for long periods...". Is Dales Sanders really suggesting that they are as key to United as Henry & RVP are to us. Er, I don't think so!!!

And as for Bentley, Sidwell, Pennant and Upson....even just saving their wages by offloading was a good deal by my reckoning. In all my time following the gooners the only mistake I've seen was selling Martin Keown, and then having to buy him back!

kennyken

Post by kennyken »

yea i agree bentley pennant not good enough but what about parker and barton both up for sale battlers we could put in the team for the away games at blackburn bolton

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

A lot of money for two games.....

kennyken

Post by kennyken »

:shock: you know what i mean we have been lightweight since pat left iwe need a bit more fight about us

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Yes, I know what you mean. I'd have been interested in Barton as I think there is a bit more to him. I've been unimpressed by Parker when I've seen him. He just looks like a thug (& not a good one at that!).

Chunky The Gooner

Post by Chunky The Gooner »

Bentley getting down the line and whipping the ball in for .??.............. we aint got no one who can really header and thump the ball in on a regular basis so that would be a waste of time!!!