How far will it all go??

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
SPUDMASHER

How far will it all go??

Post by SPUDMASHER »

There comes a point whereby you have to ask "At which point are my rights as a free member of society being ignored". This modern world in which we live is changing. Some things are better but some are without doubt worse. I remember as a wee kid in the early 1970's I got seperated from my mum whilst in Woolworths in Colchester. A really nice man and Lady held my hand and walked me to the checkout where a tannoy announcement alerted my mum to my location. Last week in Waitrose I saw a young kid, no older than 5 or 6 stood alone crying. I walked right past! I'm ashamed of myself for doing so, really I am. I was too concerned at what would be said to me if I approached the child. He was terrified, he'd lost his mum, it was the most important thing in the world to him to find his mum. He wanted help. AND I WALKED RIGHT ON BY.

Today I am browsing the web and I find this article on-line:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ldren.html

I do understand the threat posed by the more unsavioury members of society but surely that threat has always been there? Are we just highlighting these things now to such a point that society is collapsing around us and all decent people can expect to be treated with suspicion?
It's so wrong and so sad.

I'm not walking past next time. I don't care what accusations I face. I am a decent member of this society and I have an obligation to my fellow humans and to myself to be a caring one.

tomkingsbury

Re: How far will it all go??

Post by tomkingsbury »

SPUDMASHER wrote:There comes a point whereby you have to ask "At which point are my rights as a free member of society being ignored". This modern world in which we live is changing. Some things are better but some are without doubt worse. I remember as a wee kid in the early 1970's I got seperated from my mum whilst in Woolworths in Colchester. A really nice man and Lady held my hand and walked me to the checkout where a tannoy announcement alerted my mum to my location. Last week in Waitrose I saw a young kid, no older than 5 or 6 stood alone crying. I walked right past! I'm ashamed of myself for doing so, really I am. I was too concerned at what would be said to me if I approached the child. He was terrified, he'd lost his mum, it was the most important thing in the world to him to find his mum. He wanted help. AND I WALKED RIGHT ON BY.

I do understand the threat posed by the more unsavioury members of society but surely that threat has always been there? Are we just highlighting these things now to such a point that society is collapsing around us and all decent people can expect to be treated with suspicion?

I'm not walking past next time. I don't care what accusations I face. I am a decent member of this society and I have an obligation to my fellow humans and to myself to be a caring one.
its a shame isnt it - i ould help the kid and tell whoever to fuck off if they thought iwas kiddy fiddling. anyway, similar thing happened to me when i was about 5 in a garden centre, i went and found a check out girl who put out a tannoy for my mum.

that links is ridiculous too, and im afraid its the media warping people that makes this country such a pc mindfuck.

i work with loads of woman with young kids, and they're always goin on about paedos, which i think is just crazy paranoia, and then u get eastenders doin it making it even worse.

this one women is concerned her 13 yr girl is in france on a school trip and is allowed to walk round the town unsupervised. imean fuck me, i was allowed to do the same on my school trip to italy. i despair for this nation!!

pixie

Re: How far will it all go??

Post by pixie »

SPUDMASHER wrote:There comes a point whereby you have to ask "At which point are my rights as a free member of society being ignored". This modern world in which we live is changing. Some things are better but some are without doubt worse. I remember as a wee kid in the early 1970's I got seperated from my mum whilst in Woolworths in Colchester. A really nice man and Lady held my hand and walked me to the checkout where a tannoy announcement alerted my mum to my location. Last week in Waitrose I saw a young kid, no older than 5 or 6 stood alone crying. I walked right past! I'm ashamed of myself for doing so, really I am. I was too concerned at what would be said to me if I approached the child. He was terrified, he'd lost his mum, it was the most important thing in the world to him to find his mum. He wanted help. AND I WALKED RIGHT ON BY.

The best thing to do is take the child to one of the checkout staff or tell the security staff, or a female shopper......And reading between the lines of the Daily Mail story it seems to be another case of the paper twisting the facts and over reacting to a report, in this case a line in a letter sent to someone, no surprise there.

tomkingsbury

Post by tomkingsbury »

forgot to mention tho:

my aunty's friend was in a shop in cribss causeway a few years back with one of those springy leads she had attached to her daughter and herself. she was browsing and the line went light - it had been cut off and the child had disappeared.

she immediately informed security who locked down the shop straight away and conducted a search. they found the child in the blokes toliet with two men who ahd cut her hair and dressed her in a small boys clothes.

so there are people out there....

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I don't doubt there are people like it out there and your story is a shocking example but it doesn't alter the fact that as a free, innocent (well, almost :wink: ) member of this society, I demand the right to use facilities that I pay toward without being suspected of being a nonce. It's a fucking disgrace.

tomkingsbury

Post by tomkingsbury »

SPUDMASHER wrote:I don't doubt there are people like it out there and your story is a shocking example but it doesn't alter the fact that as a free, innocent (well, almost :wink: ) member of this society, I demand the right to use facilities that I pay toward without being suspected of being a nonce. It's a fucking disgrace.
i totally agree wit ya, was merely reciting an example i remembered

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

tomkingsbury wrote:
SPUDMASHER wrote:I don't doubt there are people like it out there and your story is a shocking example but it doesn't alter the fact that as a free, innocent (well, almost :wink: ) member of this society, I demand the right to use facilities that I pay toward without being suspected of being a nonce. It's a fucking disgrace.
I know you were, sorry, did it seem like I was having a go.It wasn't meant to :oops: :oops:

tomkingsbury

Post by tomkingsbury »

SPUDMASHER wrote:
tomkingsbury wrote:
I know you were, sorry, did it seem like I was having a go.It wasn't meant to :oops: :oops:
no it didnt but i forgot to add it in earlier - just felt i would inlcude it as it was topically linked :wink:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

tomkingsbury wrote:forgot to mention tho:

my aunty's friend was in a shop in cribss causeway a few years back with one of those springy leads she had attached to her daughter and herself. she was browsing and the line went light - it had been cut off and the child had disappeared.

she immediately informed security who locked down the shop straight away and conducted a search. they found the child in the blokes toliet with two men who ahd cut her hair and dressed her in a small boys clothes.

That is scary!

Basil is a Gooner

Post by Basil is a Gooner »

Yes I also heard that story about an identical incident that happened at Marks and Spencers in Camberley. Again I dont know how true it was but it makes me feel sick to think about it.

MutleyGooner

Post by MutleyGooner »

tomkingsbury wrote:forgot to mention tho:

I am not doubting your belief in your aunties story but this particular story was exposed in the press earlier this year as being an urban myth. If I can find a link I will post it.