The search for an Arsenal ‘anthem’ (18/6)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rambo

Post by rambo »

gooner.ed wrote:i am waiting for the webmaster to update the referendum page. he is a busy man at the mo. assuming it's in place over the weekend, i will give the referendum a plug on the main part of the site on monday. so maybe check back later and see if the vote has gone live or not.
Ok buddy :wink:

Faron Mace

Arsenal Anthems

Post by Faron Mace »

I think Shane F has got something here. That would sound amazing when youve got the whole of the Emirates Stadium singing 'Arsenal Arsenal Stand, by me'.

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

Its Up 4 Grabs wrote:
Apologies if i'm too late already but my personal favourite would be based on the song "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire ...YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEKC5pyOKFU - I know it doesnt 100% fit the criteria in that it's from the last 10 years but in my opinion it already sounds like a football anthem and would definately sound inspirational when sung by 60,000 Gooners!

The bit from the song that i'm talking about adapting lyrically is the opening lines/chorus of the song (the "ohh-ooohhhhhh".... bit). Of course it would still sound good if we just sang it as it is but i would propose a pretty simple adaptation like:

Arrr-senal, Ar-se-naa-aaa-aaaaa-al
We are mighty Arrr-senal
Gooners one and all

Might take a few listens to see that the lyrics above fit the melody but they do.
Goonerbot wrote:
Maybe not a great new anthem as a whole sone but those first three lines should definitely be considered as just new (and stirring) way to sing out club's name.
Cheers Goonerbot.

I agree it isnt necessarily the best option for the organised pre-match anthem but just as a song for us Gooners to sing (a la the "by far the greatest team..." song) i think it would really be a stirring song. Plus its simple enough for people to learn and recent enough for most people to remember. Think i might be banging my head against a brick wall though, unless anybody from Red Action or the Away Boyz are reading???

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

I honestly wish that if this idea takes off and I hope it does as I think it would go some way to bringin the fans together, that Streets of London takes the vote, I think it would be a brilliant anthem as it's a traditional and heartfelt song which is also quite apt as the fact that further erosion of the community especially in London is largely to blame for the lack of atmosphere, this is why we borrowed 3 times the amount of money that it actually cost to build The Grove and climbed the proverbial mountain to stay in Islington cos the the alternative tumbleweed stadium on the M25 would've been a monster fuck up!

gooner.ed
Site Admin

Post by gooner.ed »

the vote is now live on the main part of the site. click on the referendum box on the left hand side of the front page and a ten choice shortlist will appear. the result will influence the club's decision about which song to adopt, but as explained in the relevent online editorial, it won't be the determining factor.

me, i'm just relieved the club are going to try something.

Sicc

Post by Sicc »

gah, i wish i suggested 'nobody does it better' by carly simon....

i think it would sound great as an anthem....win or lose....nobody does it better than the arsenal