The search for an Arsenal ‘anthem’ (18/6)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

Apologies if i'm too late already but my personal favourite would be based on the song "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire ...YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEKC5pyOKFU - I know it doesnt 100% fit the criteria in that it's from the last 10 years but in my opinion it already sounds like a football anthem and would definately sound inspirational when sung by 60,000 Gooners!

The bit from the song that i'm talking about adapting lyrically is the opening lines/chorus of the song (the "ohh-ooohhhhhh".... bit). Of course it would still sound good if we just sang it as it is but i would propose a pretty simple adaptation like:

Arrr-senal, Ar-se-naa-aaa-aaaaa-al
We are mighty Arrr-senal
Gooners one and all

Might take a few listens to see that the lyrics above fit the melody but they do.

If someone could adapt the lyrics from the verses to have an Arsenal theme i really think this could be an anthem for us. Even if it's not to become the semi-official club anthem that this campaign is in search of, PLEASE somebody at RedAction lets get this sung during matches at least to inspire the team!

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Apologies if i'm too late already but my personal favourite would be based on the song "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire ...YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEKC5pyOKFU - I know it doesnt 100% fit the criteria in that it's from the last 10 years but in my opinion it already sounds like a football anthem and would definately sound inspirational when sung by 60,000 Gooners!

The bit from the song that i'm talking about adapting lyrically is the opening lines/chorus of the song (the "ohh-ooohhhhhh".... bit). Of course it would still sound good if we just sang it as it is but i would propose a pretty simple adaptation like:

We are mighty Arrr-senal
Gooners one and all

Might take a few listens to see that the lyrics above fit the melody but they do.

If someone could adapt the lyrics from the verses to have an Arsenal theme i really think this could be an anthem for us. Even if it's not to become the semi-official club anthem that this campaign is in search of, PLEASE somebody at RedAction lets get this sung during matches at least to inspire the team!

I Hate Hleb

PAIN IN THE ARSE?

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:...The bit from the song that i'm talking about adapting lyrically is the opening lines/chorus of the song (the "ohh-ooohhhhhh".... bit). Of course it would still sound good if we just sang it as it is but i would propose a pretty simple adaptation like:

We are mighty Arrr-senal
BRUV, DON'T MEAN TO BE DISRESPECTFUL, BUT THAT BIT SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE IS HAVING A PARTICULARLY PAINFUL SHIT!! :lol: :wink:

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fair play... Arsenal-wise this whole summer so far feels like taking one particularly long painful shit!

I honestly believe this song being sung at the Grove would make for the perfect anthem though. Did you actually check out the link to hear the actual song?

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:"Wake Up" by Arcade Fire
Loved it. Not sure how easy it would be though to create an anthem out of a song that most people won't have heard. But then, if the club played it a lot.... But then you also have the problem of convincing the club! Safer bet to stick with one of the classics.

I Hate Hleb

BORING, BORING ANTHEM! BORING, BORING ANTHEM!

Post by I Hate Hleb »

IT'S UP 4 GRABS NOW,

TO BE HONEST, I HADN'T LISTENED TO THE SONG BEFORE I POSTED BECAUSE I WAS CONCENTRATING ON TRYING TO BE FUNNY. :roll:

I HAVE, HOWEVER, NOW HAD A LISTEN TO YOUR SUGGESTION (I DIDN'T KNOW THE SONG) AND, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION: NAH!! NO!! NADA!! :roll:

I KNOW IT WAS SUGGESTED THAT THE ANTHEM SHOULD BE SLOW, BUT NOT THAT BLOODY SLOW!! :shock: BLIMEY, I STRUGGLED TO KEEP AWAKE PAST THE FIRST CHORUS!!:lol: :wink:

GOOD TRY BUT, UNLIKE MK GOULD, I DON'T THINK IT APPROPRIATE.

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

To be honest i would agree that the verses are probably too slow for it to really take off (hence i didnt adapt any of the lyrics) but the chorus is a lot better pace-wise and would suit a football song. Even if we only sang the chorus and repeated it, it would be no shorter than the "...by far the greatest team" song!

Appreciate the feedback all the same.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

At my age, I'd be happy for you to use any song as an anthem. Providing you don't play it too loud!

All_Arsenal_1886

Post by All_Arsenal_1886 »

I like the idea of Let Me Entertain You by robbie williams

Let Me Entertain You ( this is live try and listern to the proper version )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nYbAmg10fw

we are ARSENAL and we like to entertain you :D

If you have msn please add me [email protected]

Cheers :D

rambo

Post by rambo »

I think it's time gooner ed opened the voting for the anthems. My personal favourite is still impossible dream.

gooner.ed
Site Admin

Post by gooner.ed »

i am waiting for the webmaster to update the referendum page. he is a busy man at the mo. assuming it's in place over the weekend, i will give the referendum a plug on the main part of the site on monday. so maybe check back later and see if the vote has gone live or not.

stats

Post by stats »

We don't need 2 b the next Liverpool, sure a song b4 the teams come out will b great but we have loads of songs rather than other teams just with a old cup final songs
Gd old Arsenal would do 4 me but others may say no but every1 has voice in this
We have loads of matchday songs that we make up over & over again with of course the old favs that have been sang on the North Banks 4 donkey years.
It's a shame that the club can;t provide t-shirts ....... 4 an everyday match like the testimonal & Wigan which was amazing 2 c (they even gave Wigan blue t-shirts which was great)
Is the ban on flags still on at the stadium?
I love it when England play in Euro championships/World Cups when u c a sea of St-Geroges flags y can't we do that with custom Arsenal flags etc

stats

Post by stats »

We don't need 2 b the next Liverpool, sure a song b4 the teams come out will b great but we have loads of songs rather than other teams just with a old cup final songs
We have loads of matchday songs that we make up over & over again with of course the old favs that have been sang on the North Banks 4 donkey years.
It's a shame that the club can;t provide t-shirts ....... 4 an everyday match like the testimonal & Wigan which was amazing 2 c (they even gave Wigan blue t-shirts which was great)
I love it when England play in Euro championships/World Cups when u c a sea of St-Geroges flags y can't we do that with custom Arsenal flags etc

stats

Post by stats »

goonerbot

Post by goonerbot »

Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:Apologies if i'm too late already but my personal favourite would be based on the song "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire ...YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEKC5pyOKFU - I know it doesnt 100% fit the criteria in that it's from the last 10 years but in my opinion it already sounds like a football anthem and would definately sound inspirational when sung by 60,000 Gooners!

We are mighty Arrr-senal
Gooners one and all

Maybe not a great new anthem as a whole sone but those first three lines should definitely be considered as just new (and stirring) way to sing out club's name.