The search for an Arsenal ‘anthem’ (18/6)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Galasso

Post by Galasso »

tompfarrell wrote:http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/ ... himne.html

Maybe instead of choosing a song that has nothing to do with Arsenal why don't the Club do what Barca have done many times in the past. Employ someone to write and compose an anthem. This would be far better in my opinion. Barcelona's current Anthem (1974) is class. It's really gripping and sounds so patriotic. Rather like the French national anthem does.

I would prefer if this happened as opposed to the Impossible Dream, which I don't think will work. If anything I'd go for Bridge Over Troubled Water.
You know what would happen. We would introduce an anthem, after a slow start it would catch on and become very popular for the next 7 years - then Barcelona would come in and take it off us!

The French national anthem - yep, v.good but what about "Arsenal Uber Alles"...

I am against an anthem by the way and would like to (genuinely) know what stage this at as regards the club fans agreeing to something and the club adopting it.

rambo

Post by rambo »

whl7104 wrote:Please, Rambo, gooner.ed, do us all a favour and take this even more seriously, it's just an idea you are kicking around, and as with any idea you must face the fact that there are elements that will make it fail, no plan is bullet proof and there is no guarantee this will catch on. Rambo, your insulting and pathetic post only goes to show your lack of education and inability to have an educated debate and a disagreement. To refer to someone who is merely pointing out that the new breed of fan we have will not sing along because they are not interested in it as a "fecking moron" is shallow, and hopefully you feel like more of a man for calling someone you've probably never met a "fecking moron" on an anonymous internet forum. Do us all a favour; grow up and calm down. Oh, and I've sung at games only to be kicked out, so calling my being a supporter into question is also quite shallow and incorrect, and if you'd like to have a pissing contest go to a boozer in N17, I'm sure some Neanderthal would be obliged to assist, maybe you can find the one who broke my jaw when I was 12 and walking out of WHL.

Nobody wants a better atmosphere at the grove than I, and I've even said that I would assist no matter what, but face the facts that the middle class are the ones who create it, and they're all in the boozers during the games because the tickets cost way too much. Why does it work for liverpool? I'll tell you why, because they had ynwa as their anthem for years, when it was still middle class fans in anfield and not the tourists and chic *word censored* who populate most of our seats today. They started it at the correct time, oh, AND THEY STILL HAVE THE WORKING CLASS IN THEIR STANDS.

If you want to be like liverpool so much, go up to anfield, your penis envy is really quite embarrassing. If simple songs such as "Come on Arsenal" don't get picked up while being sung 2 or 3 times a match, what makes you think playing a song over the tannoy will work when trying to convince people to sing. That's what we call trying too hard, pool started playing ynwa over the tannoy because the fans were singing it so much and it caught on. Forcing it on people will never work. Best of luck, but you need better songs that the ones you have to get a result.
But why the pessism from gooners? How do you know the song won't catch on if we haven't even tried it? Did West Ham think 'I'm forever blowing bubbles', which I must add is a childish song by words' would catch on? How did Liverpool start off YNWA?

If we try and it doesn't catch on then fine, but without trying we are defeating the point of attending games i.e. having a good time and enjoying the games, and are giving into the upper class and high ticket prices.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Rambo

I arrive in peace :)

I only started using the forum regularly about a month ago. Do you know how this idea originated, from whom and what the situation is regarding the club?

For me, the idea of an anthem is not something that keeps me awake at night but instinctively I don't like it. I just can't help thinking that an anthem belted out before the start of the game is not going to help during the game when the players need the vocal encouragement most, and they even gesticulate towards the crowd asking for it. And, if like West Ham it is sung during the game, then what's wrong with people singing songs that already exist. They could do that now.

Sorry, I only really wanted to know the details behind this. I think those against are saying that people could get behind the team now if they wanted to, in the way that you are trying to achieve, but that they don't want to.

And Anfield is really quiet on "non-special we're the best fans in the world" nights.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Cant agree with you Galasso about Anfield

What other fans would stay still the end and sing YNWA when they are losing 6-3.It was amazing to see.I know it wouldn"t happen at the Emirates just look what happened when PSV scored in the CL.The reason for this debate is to try and change the attitude of the fans who wont sing.Its really embarassing to hear how little noise 60,000 can make.I sit next to to the RedAction secton who try their best to get an atmosphere going but they are fighting a losing battle.We must make some effort to change this or we might as well all stay at home and watch the games on tv.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE RED ACTION/SINGING SECTION WASN'T MADE LARGE ENOUGH INITIALLY!

I REALISE THAT IT SHOULDN'T STOP GOONERS SINGING ANYWAY - REGARDLESS OF WHERE THEY SIT IN THE GROUND - BUT IF THAT WHOLE LOWER TIER BEHIND THE NORTH GOAL HAD BEEN ALLOCATED TO THE 'SINGERS', THE OUTCOME WOULD HAVE SIGNIFICANTLY IMPROVED THE ATMOSPHERE.

THE BEST IDEA SO FAR IS ONE I READ SOMEWHERE ELSE ON THIS SITE (CAN'T REMEMBER WHICH THREAD). NAMELY, THAT PARTS OF THE GROUND (THE NORTH STAND IN PARTICULAR) COULD BE MADE OPEN-SEATING BY THE CLUB.

THIS WOULD ENABLE THE SUPPORTERS TO CONGREGATE WITH LIKE-MINDED GOONERS: THE SINGERS AND THOSE THAT LIKE TO STAND UP TOGETHER; THOSE THAT PREFER TO SIT THROUGH-OUT/CHILDREN/THE INFIRM AT THE FRONT OR ELSEWHERE IN THE GROUND; AND THOSE THAT WANT A QUIET LIFE OR PERHAPS A SHORT KIP, IN THE UPPER TIERS OR IN THE EAST & WEST STANDS (JUST LIKE AT HIGHBURY THEN!!) :lol: :wink:

ALTERNATIVELY, MOVE THE FAMILY ENCLOSURE NEXT TO THE NORTH STAND AND LET THE SINGERS/STANDERS MOVE TO THE SOUTH (THEREBY CREATING A NEW CLOCK-END). THE BANTER WITH THE AWAY FANS ALONE WOULD INCREASE THE VOLUME.

I BELIEVE EITHER OF THOSE SUGGESTIONS WILL DEFINATELY HELP WITH THE ATMOSPHERE - CERTAINLY MORE THAN AN ANTHEM WILL (ALTHOUGH I'M NOT AGAINST ONE IF IT IS GOOD, AND NOT SOMETHING LIKE 'IMPOSSIBLE DREAM').

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

donaldo wrote:Cant agree with you Galasso about Anfield

What other fans would stay still the end and sing YNWA when they are losing 6-3.It was amazing to see.I know it wouldn"t happen at the Emirates just look what happened when PSV scored in the CL.The reason for this debate is to try and change the attitude of the fans who wont sing.Its really embarassing to hear how little noise 60,000 can make.I sit next to to the RedAction secton who try their best to get an atmosphere going but they are fighting a losing battle.We must make some effort to change this or we might as well all stay at home and watch the games on tv.
I agree with your sentiments entirely and I don't know how many times I have said that last sentence to people around me. And yes, PSV was just shit.
Just doesn't feel right to me. As for the 6-3, I was in a foreign bar with the sound turned down so I'll give you that one :wink:

As it is, I was talking more about the level of encouragment that the team get from the crowd during the game. The Anfield crowd like to make demonstrations of solidarity in times of adversity and they sure want the whole world talking about it. It doesn't mean they are averse to terribly long quiet spells, booing their own side and drifting off early. I would rather have this debate without the constant reference to YNWA. I have been to Anfield many times.

Like it or not, The Arsenal crowd have never been good at consistently high levels of vocal encouragment. Where and when there was atmosphere it came courtesy of those standing areas. Now, beginning at Highbury even that doesn't exist and it is exaccerbated at Ashburton by having even more silent souls.

As for RedAction, I applaud them. But I am in block 11 (to the left behing the goal) and I can't hear a thing from them (not that they don't do anything its just the acoustics i presume).

Just the way I feel....

whl7104

Post by whl7104 »

Again, we arrive at the same problem, pool and whu are working class clubs, their boards haven't priced out the normal working class singing fan yet (well, as bad as we have), so anything that catches on with enough people will catch on because they'll actually sing it.

Our fan base that sings have been confined to the pubs around the ground and save their money and instead of go to home games, travel, where they can sing because fewer jerks would tell them to sit down.

It's not pessimism, because I want it to work, it's realism, because I know that there aren't enough working class fans in the ground anymore, and 80+% of the upper class fans don't.

I agree that there should be a similar set-up to how it was at Highbury, with all the noisy ones at the Clock End close to the away supporters and everyone who wants to sit and be quiet can sit in the east and west stands, but the problem is the club doesn't want this, and it doesn't look like they care what we think either way, as long as we fork over the dosh every week.

rambo

Post by rambo »

I just hate the fact we are giving into the corporate cnuts who have ruined AFC. We must act upon letting AFC walk all over us by increasing ticket prices etc. It was inevitable that ticket prices would rise but the pessism is sad to hear. We can't let the corporate bast*rds walk over us, I want to show other fans that we are not a spiralling club and we WILL come back and show the feckers we can win the league.

I hate letting people get their own way i.e. let corporate 'fans' get boxes and tickets and letting AFC walk over true fans who have been around historically since Anfield 89, since Brady and since Chapman was around.

Let's stop putting this thread down and show AFC and all others we are up for a fight and will not go down without a fight. A song created by lower class/middle class fans would tear the roof off and give us something to look forward to when going to games instead of talking about how ticket prices are increasing all flippin day.

Come on guys, let's not talk about giving up after a total of 30 or so pages of talking.

Sorry if my strong language and aggressive language offends others, that's me and I'm like this across any other forum you see me on, it's not because I'm a harsh/bad person, it's because I love the club and want the best for it.

Anyway, gooner.ed get the voting underway or else this will drag on :wink:

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

rambo wrote:We must act upon letting AFC walk all over us by increasing ticket prices etc. It was inevitable that ticket prices would rise
While I wholeheartedly agree that its too expensive to go to see a Premiership match these days, I would like to remind you that Arsenal haven't actually increased prices for 2 years. Ok, the price was too high to start with, but credit where credit is due!

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Rambo

I think your arguement comes accross very well. I just see the same things through different glasses.

Perhaps the anthem will catch on - if that's what most people want.

But there is no question that the genuine uplifting football atmosphere that people crave and are talking about here cannot, I repeat, cannot be replicated in an all-seater stadium with people sitting down.

The real battle should be fought for the re-introduction of terracing, to re-infranchise our fans and give us choice back.

The anthem is the wallpaper that is papering over the huge cracks. Not only do we have to deal with with a sanitised stadium environment but in turn a traditionally less than vocal support (in general). This was never a huge issue when the people knew that they could congregate in one place with like-minded souls.

If the big four got together on this it would be solved in two minutes. But they don't want to, they don't have to, they don't care. So they give us a few crumbs to keep us quiet, so to speak..

And..

I ask myself - Where are the people who come to the stadium and don't open their mouths? Are they on this forum demanding an anthem? Why would they if they don't open their mouths anyway?

Up Yours Herb

Anthem and atmosphere

Post by Up Yours Herb »

As someone who has been a regular at Arsenal since the early 80's I, like so many others, am immensley frustrated at the lack of atmosphere created. Those that I used to attend with 20-25yrs ago have gradually drifted away from going to football through a mixture of rising ticket prices and general feeling that the match day 'experience' no longer exists. Last season I took a friend to the Newcastle game, it was the first time he had been to a game since about 1988 and could not believe how crap the atmosphere was and he was in no plan his next visit to Ashburton Grove.

It is the responsibility of the fans (primarily) to create the noise but I find it unbelievable that the club does not try harder to work with the fans on this. There is no doubt that a better atmosphere lifts the team and has to be worth a few (crucial) points each season.

The fact is MOST people who go to games DO want to sing. In the days of terracing you could sing and apart from a few squashed bodies around you no one knew where the voice was coming from. Therefore it was easy to start songs and invariably most would join in. However, football fans (like us English in general) can be a shy bunch and it takes balls to start a song when sat in a chair surrounded by silent people. If you fail everyone will look at you like you are some *word censored* for the rest of the match. With terracing this was not an issue. Furthermore, the average age of the supporter is now so much older (due to ticket prices) that we now have support which is more likely to 'join-in' rather than have the enthusiasm to actually start a song or try a new song for the first time.

I sit in the Orange upper tier. At times the noise from RedAction drifts up and the upper tier join in on mass. However, this does not happen often enough and there is certainly no effort made to start songs in the upper tier. I think we need to accept that there is one section of the crowd who will start the songs (Orange Lower) and we need to work on getting everyone to join in. So how do we do this ?.

RedAction deserve every credit for their efforts - but it is not enough. More needs to be done. You may think you are loud but you can only be heard in the Orange section. If you sit in Green the noise does not travel at all. Has no one at the club thought of wiring up the ground so that the noise generated in the Orange lower section (RedAction) can be broadcasted into the other sections of the ground via speakers ?. For a few games last season I sat in the Green section to sample the Ashburton 'clock-end' experience. It was embarrassing to say the least. Arsenal fans were silent and on each occasion we were outsung by the away support - which was not hard as no Arsenal fans were singing at all. Now, if there were hidden speakers at the back of the upper and lower tier which was broadcasting the noise from the Orange Lower I am sure it would have brought the Green section fans to life. If the same was done with blue and yellow sections we could get the whole stadium rocking - just with a few speakers to kick start everyone.

As for an Anthem, I have looked at various forums and ideas being put forward. There are some good suggestions. However, it is important to really think about what makes a good anthem and what type of song would encourage everyone to join in. For an Anthem to work it needs to be a fairly SLOW song which can be sung with passion. This is what makes YNWA such a success. Likewise, Blue Moon can also sound good when Man City fans decide to sing it on mass. It needs to be something which will appeal to ALL fans old and young. Most importantly it needs to be relevant to Arsenal or London.

I was quite keen on an Arsenal version of Wonder Of You (Elvis) which I think would sound very impressive when sung by 60,000 people. However, for me the best song put forward is STREETS OF LONDON by Ralph McTell.

As someone who regularly watches Arsenal in away Champions League matches it sends a shiver down my spine just thinking of singing Streets of London at these away days. The idea of this brilliant song being sung by 60,000 at AG would be very special indeed.

ruthless

Post by ruthless »

I think the continual comparison between Anfield and the Emirates is a bit pointless. The ties that bind people on Merseyside run far deeper than football and, as has been noted, have been formed through adversity both on and off the pitch.

The ties that bind Gooners... well, pretty much just the football club. If you took a cross section of the Emirates crowd it would reflect both the cultural and ethnic diversity of the most cosmopolitan city in Europe. We should applaud this diversity instead of harping on about some golden past.

An anthem, ridiculed by some for not being organically generated by the soviet masses on the terraces, would be a step in the right direction in creating the kind of ties that fans need to bind them together. Any other ideas?

Lowering prices, removing corportate seats, bringing back standing - it'll never happen.

Anyway, LFC have become caricatures of themselves. They're so certain of their greatest fans in the world tag, it's become a joke.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Up Yours Herb - Great first post!!

Galasso

Re: Anthem and atmosphere

Post by Galasso »

Up Yours Herb

I too began attending matches on the 80’s, albeit the late eighties. There were around 24000 there at my first game. At various times since, I stood on the North Bank and Clock End, sat in East Upper/Lower and West Upper. I finished my Highbury days in the Clock End. I now sit in the Blue section Lower Tier.

As I stated in previous posts, if people want an anthem fine. It instinctively does not sit well with me. If a suitable one is adopted, then I will partake, as I always try to.
The fact is MOST people who go to games DO want to sing. In the days of terracing you could sing and apart from a few squashed bodies around you no one knew where the voice was coming from. Therefore it was easy to start songs and invariably most would join in. However, football fans (like us English in general) can be a shy bunch and it takes balls to start a song when sat in a chair surrounded by silent people. If you fail everyone will look at you like you are some *word censored* for the rest of the match. With terracing this was not an issue. Furthermore, the average age of the supporter is now so much older (due to ticket prices) that we now have support which is more likely to 'join-in' rather than have the enthusiasm to actually start a song or try a new song for the first time.
On what do you base the assertion that most people want to sing? If we take the position where we are now, the majority of people around me ( in my block) DO NOT take the option to sing, even when it is presented to them by others who make a start. This echoes my experience of Highbury when, certainly in my time (see above), the East/West stands did very little towards the stadium atmosphere and, with a some notable and great exceptions, we had one of the quietest terraces around - if one takes into account size and number of fans. So my assertion is that this is not a new problem, just one that has been prompted by the feeling that with 57000 Arsenal fans, the atmosphere turns out to be worse than at Highbury.

Is it because we are shy and don’t want to look like *word censored*? There is certainly an element of this. However, that does not explain why at some stadiums, in England, the atmosphere is significantly better than it is at The Arsenal.. Even to the extent of Arsenal comparing unfavourably with fans in a similar area and of similar social, cultural and financial background.
I sit in the Orange upper tier. At times the noise from RedAction drifts up and the upper tier join in on mass. However, this does not happen often enough and there is certainly no effort made to start songs in the upper tier. I think we need to accept that there is one section of the crowd who will start the songs (Orange Lower) and we need to work on getting everyone to join in. So how do we do this ?.
Perhaps we need more of the RedAction sections, providing the impetus as the terracing used to. The noise does not drift left I am afraid! If we had a more balanced split within the ground between those who want to support their team in one way, and those who wish to support in another way, then this problem would be solved. We are now in an all-seater stadium If you have 10 people around you who chose to sit in the seats at Highbury and primarily remain quiet, what makes us believe that they now WANT to change? As they are also unlikely to be in their youthful prime (under 30!), they are less likely to want to change - as you have eluded to above. I am not equating all people who sat in seats with the bad atmosphere, I am just establishing that in the past we always had areas who generated the atmosphere for the benefit of those others who didn’t. Therefore, the issue of those people not contributing was rarely highlighted to this extent.
RedAction deserve every credit for their efforts - but it is not enough. More needs to be done. You may think you are loud but you can only be heard in the Orange section. If you sit in Green the noise does not travel at all. Has no one at the club thought of wiring up the ground so that the noise generated in the Orange lower section (RedAction) can be broadcasted into the other sections of the ground via speakers ?. For a few games last season I sat in the Green section to sample the Ashburton 'clock-end' experience. It was embarrassing to say the least. Arsenal fans were silent and on each occasion we were outsung by the away support - which was not hard as no Arsenal fans were singing at all. Now, if there were hidden speakers at the back of the upper and lower tier which was broadcasting the noise from the Orange Lower I am sure it would have brought the Green section fans to life. If the same was done with blue and yellow sections we could get the whole stadium rocking - just with a few speakers to kick start everyone.
I can just imagine the club hijacking this idea and pumping subliminal messages, encouraging the fans to spend, spend, spend at the club shop! :)

I understand the principle behind this but the nature of watching a live event in this country is being steadily eroded as it is - and this Americanisation (Example - the tannoy at basketball matches leading the chant of ‘Defense…Defense.. For the home team) is a step that would go too far. Would the speakers go at every area of the stadium? What if the Redaction section goes quiet? What if the fans in other areas of the ground do not like having these speakers?
As for an Anthem, I have looked at various forums and ideas being put forward. There are some good suggestions. However, it is important to really think about what makes a good anthem and what type of song would encourage everyone to join in. For an Anthem to work it needs to be a fairly SLOW song which can be sung with passion. This is what makes YNWA such a success. Likewise, Blue Moon can also sound good when Man City fans decide to sing it on mass. It needs to be something which will appeal to ALL fans old and young. Most importantly it needs to be relevant to Arsenal or London.
Does the anthem idea exist in an attempt to get everyone going, to set the tempo for the match? Nothing wrong with this - but I fear that the set-up of the stadium as I argued earlier works against this. I for one would have no problem belting out a suitable anthem, should it be adopted in some form - as I think that, for exmaple, Abide With Me is extremely moving. Also agree that Streets of London is as you note below.
I was quite keen on an Arsenal version of Wonder Of You (Elvis) which I think would sound very impressive when sung by 60,000 people. However, for me the best song put forward is STREETS OF LONDON by Ralph McTell.
As someone who regularly watches Arsenal in away Champions League matches it sends a shiver down my spine just thinking of singing Streets of London at these away days. The idea of this brilliant song being sung by 60,000 at AG would be very special indeed.
Same for me. :idea:

In conclusion, I believe that the set-up of Ashburton Grove does not lend itself to the creation of atmosphere. With the exception of RedAction, there are no areas people can identify with. In addition, us Arsenal fans are a peculiar bunch, probably unique in that our habits as fans in terms of backing the team, do not fall into any consistent category , even when compared with teams of similar background.

I believe that we need the return of limited terracing at both ends of the stadium. If not, then an extension of the RedAction areas, although this causes headaches regarding stadium safety certificates or a change of policy towards seating.

And an in-depth scientific study of Arsenal fans :) :wink:

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

Apologies if i'm too late already but my personal favourite would be based on the song "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire (You Tube link: ) - I know it doesnt 100% fit the criteria in that it's from the last 10 years but in my opinion it already sounds like a football anthem and would definately sound inspirational when sung by 60,000 Gooners!

The bit from the song that i'm talking about adapting lyrically is the opening lines/chorus of the song (the "ohh-ooohhhhhh".... bit). Of course it would still sound good if we just sang it as it is but i would propose a pretty simple adaptation like:

Arrr-senal, Ar-se-naa-aaa-aaaaa-al
We are mighty Arrr-senal
Gooners one and all

Might take a few listens to see that the lyrics above fit the melody but they do.

If someone could adapt the lyrics from the verses to have an Arsenal theme i really think this could be an anthem for us. Even if it's not to become the semi-official club anthem that this campaign is in search of, PLEASE somebody at RedAction lets get this sung during matches at least to inspire the team!