Would Henry’s departure actually be a bad thing? (19/6)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

In the main, officially (programme notes, Arsenal.com etc) Henry has said positive things about the youngsters and made the right noises about helping them to develop. But his body language on the pitch tells a different story. For me he shares Arsene's vision of where he wants to take the club, but doesn't necessarily agree with the way to get us there. Having dedictaed so much time and effort into bringing the youngsters through Arsene wants to be patient with them and give them every chance. But Thierry seems to run out of patience and, at nearly 30, seems to want the club to now go a different route, i.e. Buy!

But Henry needs to remember a key thing, it isn't his job to decide on club stratedgy. He's paid and employed as a player. And yes of course as captain it's his job to lead on the pitch, but his influence ends there. I would expect him to discuss concerns he may have with Arsene, I think that's healthy, but do it behind closed doors.

Henry always seems quick to blame others when we fail or fall short. But maybe at times he should look closer to home. Augie's comment about him being a "Big game chcoker" may seem over the top for a player who has done so much for the club, but by my reckoning he's appeared in 5 major finals for Arsenal yet hasn't scored a single goal in any of them. I also work out he's played in 8 semi-final matches (some were 2 leg affairs) but can only recall a single goal. I can remember many missed chances over those games that he would normally put away, the same goes for many big matches for France. I'll happily stand corrected if I've got my stats wrong but they point to a player who fails to perform on the really big occassions.

I'm not making these comments just because I think he's off, I've thought it for a few seasons now as the stats don't lie. Despite those stats I still want him to stay (if his head is right). My point is despite all his achievements and legendary status at the club, he at times has been as much to blame as others for our shortcomings. That doesn't mean we should slate him but it's hypocrytical of him to point the finger himself.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Maybe Arsenal's view over TH is the same as with Viera. Great player undoubtedly past their prime - but still holding value in transfer market and they're not for sale, but if the right offer came in....?? Same with ManUre and Beckham, Liverpool with Owen. TH knows it as well. Arsenal, the fans & our excellent group of young players can afford the risk of another season in transition with the promise that we're on the edge of something BIG. But TH? No. He'll be well aware that the clock is ticking.

DB stayed as long as he did because his game didn't suffer with age. Those superb defence splitting passes. But what of TH? His game is all about pace & timing, unfortunately his age means that the former can only continue to deteriorate. If he stays we'll have another two seasons from a "really good" striker - & if he really is up for it then I'd be made up with that. But if he's not up for it. And if we had a bad start to the season, and he started to sulk..... The £25m would start to look quite attractive then - but too late to cash in!

Ruby

Henry Leaving

Post by Ruby »

Doa

Ruby

Henry Leaving

Post by Ruby »

Doa