The greatest fight EVER

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Radford149

The greatest fight EVER

Post by Radford149 »

the rumble in the jungle.END OF

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

Sugar Ray Leonard v Marvin Hagler was rather good. :box:

mrgnu1958

Post by mrgnu1958 »

i watched When We Were Kings last night.and that Ali V Foreman still gave me chills up me spine.
But for me it will always be The Ali v Frazier fights that ill never forget.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Diagree Radford.

It might have been the most dramatic victory ever, the way Ali won title back at his age, but not the best fight ever.
It just saw Foreman hit Ali, Ali rope-a-dope him, then Ali KO Foreman with a super combo.

There have been many better fights, with more to-and-fro action and more Knock Downs.

Better fights, have been, amongst many others:

Ali v Frazier I in 1971...incredible build up and hype matched by thrilling war.

Ali v Frazier III The Thrilla in Manilla...two greats going at it like lunatics for 14 rounds

Hagler v Hearns - Only three rounds but the most intense war I have ever seen.

Benn v McLellan - Tragic result but compelling and draining battle.

Corrales v Castillo I - will not ruin this if you have never seen it, but as good as it gets in many people's opinion.

Morrales v Barrera I - no let up in the action.

Holyfield v Bowe I - Great punch rate from two sharp heavyweights.

Dwight Muhammad Qawi vs Holyfield - a war!

Hamed vs Kelley - gunfight at the Garden.

Benn vs Eubank I - all out full pelt power for nine rounds.

Then there are the series of tear ups between Saddler and Pep and those between Ketchel and Papke, Gatti's wars of attrition vs Ward, Zale v Graziano and the high class matchup of Pryor vs Arguello, Chavez's dramatic win vs Taylor, Dempsey;s insane bout with Firpo amongst many others.

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

Cheers for the pm quartzy. Rad GREAT THREAD!!!!!!!

Im only 25 so although ive watched many of the old ali/frasier/Haggler/Louis/Suger Ray Lenord fights im going to judge this on fights in my "era" those im old enough to remember watching.
In No particular order my faves are.

Steve Collins VS Chris Eubank 1&2 - Although not the greatest technical fights, both were so close, with both giving their all till the end. Will never forget the opening bell for the second fight when they both literally sprinted at each other.....class.

Nigel Benn VS Gerald Mclellan - Im with quartz on this. One of the most amzing fights of all time, but sadly what happened at the end has kept this out of great fights lists. Once again two guys who just werent willing to get ko'd, or beat, and literally put their lives on the line.

Chiris Eubank VS Nigel Benn 2 - I always prefered the second fight (but hated it at the same time). Not being a fan of Eubank, the result of this fight hurt. Benn won the fight, the point he had deducted, ruined it. This is more of a nostalgia one.

Rocky Marciano VS ? - Not sure who Rocky was fighting (SORRY :oops: ) but got it on dvd and he knocks his opponent down 7 times in round 1....any one know the opponent?

Spencer Oliver VS Vincenzo Balcastro - Just remember this was two guys beating the shit out of each other for twelve rounds, non-stop it was. Oliver could have been a great.

Naseem Hamed VS Kevin Kelly - The first time Naseem was really tested. This was a great with both guys going down on numerous occasions.

Corrales VS Castillo 1 - as quartz said check it out, this was another non-stop never give in style fight.

Lenox Lewis VS Vitali Kltschko - Hasnt been a better heavyweight title fight scince.

Oscar De La Hoya VS Bernard Hopkins - most de la hoya fights are memorable but this was just an unbelievable fight,sadly(I HATE B-HOP)

ANY Floyd Mayweather fight - The best in my lifetime, he is amazing, in top 5 of ALL TIME in my opinion. Not the most likeable character, but my fave is a toughy but ill go with the Zab Judah fight.

I never thought rumble in the jungle was greatest fight though.....greatest comback yes....greatest fight?

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

Francis Lee v Norman Hunter

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=V8kxMnc5KUs

gusher311

Post by gusher311 »

QuartzGooner wrote:Diagree Radford.

It might have been the most dramatic victory ever, the way Ali won title back at his age, but not the best fight ever.
It just saw Foreman hit Ali, Ali rope-a-dope him, then Ali KO Foreman with a super combo.

There have been many better fights, with more to-and-fro action and more Knock Downs.

Better fights, have been, amongst many others:

Ali v Frazier I in 1971...incredible build up and hype matched by thrilling war.

Ali v Frazier III The Thrilla in Manilla...two greats going at it like lunatics for 14 rounds

Hagler v Hearns - Only three rounds but the most intense war I have ever seen.

Benn v McLellan - Tragic result but compelling and draining battle.

Corrales v Castillo I - will not ruin this if you have never seen it, but as good as it gets in many people's opinion.

Morrales v Barrera I - no let up in the action.
Holyfield v Bowe I - Great punch rate from two sharp heavyweights.

Dwight Muhammad Qawi vs Holyfield - a war!

Hamed vs Kelley - gunfight at the Garden.

Benn vs Eubank I - all out full pelt power for nine rounds.

Then there are the series of tear ups between Saddler and Pep and those between Ketchel and Papke, Gatti's wars of attrition vs Ward, Zale v Graziano and the high class matchup of Pryor vs Arguello, Chavez's dramatic win vs Taylor, Dempsey;s insane bout with Firpo amongst many others.

I LOVE THAT FIGHT!
8)

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Hmm... tough question, but my top 3 (in no particular order) would be...

Apollo Creed vs. Rocky I
Apollo Creed vs. Rocky II
Ivan Drago vs. Rocky

For the record, I thought Rocky's fight against James "Clubber" Lang, was overrated :roll:

But yeah, Rumble in the Jungle, Thriller in Manila, and Showdown in Little Tokyo are all worthy of a mention, too.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

The Hagler/Hearns/Duran/Leonard fights where my favourite i bought a DVD a while ago with all there fights against eachother, i think its called Fabulous 4 well worth buying if you see it. Also loved the fights of the 90's involving Benn, Eubank and Watson

Some of my faves

Benn V McClelland
Hagler V Hearns
Hearns V Duran
Tyson V Berbick
Benn V Eubank

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

g88ner wrote:Hmm... tough question, but my top 3 (in no particular order) would be...

Apollo Creed vs. Rocky I
Apollo Creed vs. Rocky II
Ivan Drago vs. Rocky

For the record, I thought Rocky's fight against James "Clubber" Lang, was overrated :roll:

But yeah, Rumble in the Jungle, Thriller in Manila, and Showdown in Little Tokyo are all worthy of a mention, too.
Thought they were great fights but what were the refs and doctor doing not stopping the fights, those cut were unbelieveable :shock:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Boxing Fans....

http://goonertalk.com/2008/11/10/big-fi ... enals-way/

Big Fight Plans Coming Arsenal’s Way

World Championship boxing could be coming to Islington as early as May next year.

Arsenal revealed this week they want to stage multi-million pound title fights at the Emirates Stadium.

Tens of thousands of boxing fans could soon be flocking to the Gunners’ stadium with high profile bouts staged in the middle of the Emirates pitch and alcohol allowed at ringside.

As a sports stadium, the Emirates is already licensed for boxing and any fight would be staged as part of a package of six non-football events a year.

The news follows the success of two massive Bruce Springsteen concerts held in May.

Boxing has a rich history in the borough - in 1966 the club’s former Highbury Stadium played host a world heavyweight title clash between Mohammed Ali and Henry Cooper.

Ken Friar, Arsenal’s acting managing director, told the Gazette:

“Why should we not want to have boxing? We had a world title fight at Highbury, admittedly a long time ago.

“We would have to see whether or not we would be able to attain the rights for a world title fight purely because boxing as a sport relies on TV revenue. That means you would have to broadcast to the USA and that brings time problems.â€

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Thanks G88ner, that would be amazing to see a fight at the stadium!

Official of course, we already had the unofficial Championship of the Scouse versus Everton last month!

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Great post g88ner would be excellent to get some top quality boxing at the Grove

Drone

Post by Drone »

I thought this is a thread of Arsenal fights. :(