Gilles for director of football?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DanielD

Gilles for director of football?

Post by DanielD »

The Daily Mail is reporting that ex-Arsenal player Gilles Grimandi will be appointed for our new director of football, instead of David Dean.
If there's any truth in that story or not, do you think it's a decent decision by Wenger and the board?

DB10GOONER

Re: Gilles for director of football?

Post by DB10GOONER »

DanielD wrote:The Daily Mail is reporting that ex-Arsenal player Gilles Grimandi will be appointed for our new director of football, instead of David Dean.
If there's any truth in that story or not, do you think it's a decent decision by Wenger and the board?
Is this a wind up?? Bizarre would be my response.
:shock: :?

Now don't get me wrong, I quite liked old Gilles because, while he was pretty limited as a footballer, he had the heart of a lion and he was prepared to get in. 8)

And dish out the odd slap when required. :wink:

And I absolutely loved him at DB10's (the real one, not me) testimonial when he chopped the dutch tottingshizer dwarf Davids down thus preventing the first goal scored at the Grove from being scored by a spud. 8) 8) 8)

But what experience does he have for such a crucial role? That is not a rhetorical question - anyone know what the Grimster has been doing since he left?

DanielD

Post by DanielD »

anyone know what the Grimster has been doing since he left?
From Wikipedia:
"Grimandi signed with the Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer in 2003, but left after one pre-season match, effectively retiring. He has remained active in the sport, however, taking his first administrative position in 2004 as football director at ASOA Valence in the French National (third) division, and becoming a France-based scout for Arsenal F.C. after Valence filed for bankruptcy prior to the 2005-06 season. He also took part in Dennis Bergkamp's testimonial game at Arsenal's new Emirates Stadium in July 2006"

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

DanielD wrote:
anyone know what the Grimster has been doing since he left?
From Wikipedia:
"Grimandi signed with the Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer in 2003, but left after one pre-season match, effectively retiring. He has remained active in the sport, however, taking his first administrative position in 2004 as football director at ASOA Valence in the French National (third) division, and becoming a France-based scout for Arsenal F.C. after Valence filed for bankruptcy prior to the 2005-06 season. He also took part in Dennis Bergkamp's testimonial game at Arsenal's new Emirates Stadium in July 2006"
Hmmm, hardly covered himself in success has he?

Still nice to see he's kept his hand in. And working with Arsene on a daily basis can only help. IF Arsene doesn't go and ponce off to Barca/Milan/Real/Inter/ManUre/Mousers/Bolton/PSG/****** Leone/NY Jets/The US Davis Cup Team etc etc fu*cking etc... :roll:

Rad

Gilles

Post by Rad »

Will Gilles be getting the bus to the Emirates like he used to when we were at Highbury?

green gooner

Post by green gooner »

I am nearly sure he has been working under Houllier in France of late. Basically sorting transfers out for him.