Toure to join Barcelona

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gooner Chris

Toure to join Barcelona

Post by Gooner Chris »

Kolo's Brother:
:lol:
According to Catalan football newspaper SPORT, Barça will wrap up a move for AS Monaco and Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Touré this weekend.

Touré, a defensive midfielder with an eye for long and short passing, is seen by Barça as the solution to the defensive midfield position currently occupied by Edmílson and Thiago Motta. Yaya Touré is the younger brother of Arsenal defender Kolo Touré, who played against Barcelona in the 2006 UEFA Champions League final in Paris.

Before joining AS Monaco, Touré played for Greek side Olympiakos alongside former Barça hero Rivaldo. He also played for Ukrainian side Metalurg Donetsk and Belgian side Beveren.

It is thought that Touré will be signed for a compromised fee of €10 million. Barça originally only wanted to pay AS Monaco €9 million whilst his club AS Monaco want €13 million. Any deal will only see cash-strapped Monaco only get 50% of any fee, as Touré's former club Metalurg Donetsk are entitled to the other 50%.

It is understood that terms have already been agreed between Barça and Touré and only that all the remains to be done is to convince AS Monaco to let the player go.

Touré's agent, Metalurg Donetsk's sporting director Dimitri Selluyk, is set to meet with Txiki Begiristain and vice-president Ferran Soriano on Friday.

Earlier, former Barça midfielder Gerard López, now at Monaco, said that his teammate Touré was open to a move to Barça.

"A few months ago I told him that Barcelona had called me to ask about him as a player and he had no idea about it," Gerard told COM Radio.

"Since then he has been asking me about the club, the city, the fans and has always something to say about Barca."

DanielD

Post by DanielD »

Bit of a scare there. Loading of this page took about 15 seconds, worst 15 seconds of my life. I absolutely love Kolo, best CB in the world.

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Would love to have both of them playing for us.

DanielD

Post by DanielD »

Anybody seen young toure in action? is he a Diaby or Gilberto sort of player?

Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

Saw him briefly a couple of years ago, then in the African Nations and World Cup last year. The boy's one heck of a player that's for sure.

Like Gilberto or Diaby, you ask? Believe it or not, he is a combination of both. Good as a defensive midfield cover for the back 4 like Gilberto, yet strong in the tackle and forceful in his running forward ala Diaby. He even has very good passing ability - better then either of them!!

We have been linked with Yaya Toure since his brother Kolo came to Arsenal in 2003/4. Every year Kolo comes out with something in the papers about how Yaya is an even better player than him and how Arsenal should sign him. Alas, nothing ever happened.

Now he is off to Barcelona, where he will be sensational in comparison to the defensive midfielders they currently have. Our loss, I'm afraid.

P.S. I wonder if he can also play up front - thus negating the need for Barcelona to sign Thierry! Wishing thinking, I guess.

Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

Breaking Fluid ... er.. I mean News

It looks as if Barca are about to finalise the deal for Yaya Toure. Damn!!!

What do you reckon the chances of older brother Kolo joining him at the end of next season? Given their history, do you believe this move could be the Spaniards playing games again?

Tell me honestly, would you put it past them Catalan whores to buy Yaya just in order to make it easier to tempt brother Kolo over next year - given his stated ambition to play with his younger brother one day? (no bad-taste jokes please!!)

After all, Kolo is also likely to be our captain come next season and the recent precidents involving our Captains doesn't augar well for the future, does it?

If our worst nightmare came true and they did buy Kolo, and then Cesc and Wenger as well - which is a stated ambition/intention of theirs - they might as well go the whole hog and genuinely change the club's name from Barcelona to Arselona!!!

DanielD

Post by DanielD »

After all, Kolo is also likely to be our captain next season and the recent precidents involving our Captains doesn't augar well for the future, does it?
I know that a lot of people on the forum want kolo as caprain, but i think wenger will let Bert to be skipper.

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

We missed out big time and had many chances to snap him up!

I really hate Barcelona at the moment!

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

In answer to ECD, it didn't help us to get Yaya having Kolo. Think the reason they signed him is that he is quality just like TH.

We just need to start signing quality this summer to compete.

I Hate Hleb

MRS MARPLES - WHERE ARE YOU?

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Chopper wrote:In answer to ECD, it didn't help us to get Yaya having Kolo. Think the reason they signed him is that he is quality just like TH.
TOO RIGHT, ALTHOUGH ARSENE COULD HAVE SIGNED HIM IF HE REALLY WANTED TO. I THINK I REMEMBER HIM PLAYING A COUPLE OF PRE-SEASON FRIENDLIES FOR US (ALONG WITH EBOUE) A COUPLE OR SO YEARS AGO.

INTERESTING CONJECTURE THOUGH.