Player of the season

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DanielD

Player of the season

Post by DanielD »

Arsenal.com player of the season will be revealed on monday.
I really don't think there is any doubt that cesc will get the award with more than 60% of the votes.
Who was your top 3 players of the season? for me:

3) Clichy: i think that Gael made the most remarkble improvment over the season and he deserve third place.

2) Cesc: he was amazing this season, he is a superb player and there is a lot to come from the young Spaniard. Hope he will stay for the rest of his career and become a legend at Arsenal/

1) Toure: for me, the most consistent player on the planet. Almost no mistakes whatsoever and playing more than 50 games a season, he was immense.
The only thing he needs to improve is his defending at set-pieces and with willie on his side, he might be able to do so.

goonerk

Post by goonerk »

Im going to go controversial and choose Clichy for these reasons:

* He didnt have any pre-season and was not even 100% when he came into the team
* He is only a young boy, in a foreign land attempting to replace the worlds best left back...pressure!!

For the above reasons, I would have been happy with a mediorce season from Gael, let him get used to the first team and have another go next season...but no. He's been fantastic all year. Opta stats back this with Clichy making more runs into the oppositions half than any other defender in the prem while also making the second highest amount of tackles...more than gerrard, lampard, sol, kolo...anyone (bar joey barton!!).

He really does play with his heart on his sleeve. He may not kiss the badge as much as ash did, ahem...but you can see by the way he plays he gives everything to the team. He flies into tackles and throws himself at the ball, runs up and down all game long. Without a doubt the best left back in the prem. F*ck cole, evra etc, we've got the real deal here.

All Hail Gael!!

Hagbard 23

Post by Hagbard 23 »

For me it has to be Gilberto Silva. The invisible wall. A very inconspicuous player who people tend not to notice, but when he's absent, boy do we miss him. A truly world class player, who we are extremely lucky to have on the payroll. He is Arsenal thru & thru. A DIAMOND.

T.S

Post by T.S »

Julio Baptista, anyone?

Hagbard 23

Post by Hagbard 23 »

No wait I changed my mind it has to be Jeremie Aliadiere.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Dead Heat between Eboue and Helb

DDignam

Post by DDignam »

1) Clichy

2) Cesc

3) Toure

Hav eleft out Gilbertom feel he had a great season, he played teh way we always wanted him to play, which is teh expectation, needs to go one further next year to make player of the year

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

donaldo wrote:Dead Heat between Eboue and Helb
Well said. Personally, I Hate Hleb and we all know that Eboue Can't Defend.

If pushed probably clichy, but it doen't matter much, does it? Personal awards and statistics...

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

For me it must be Hleb. He had a storming season, but just needs to learn to pass when others are better positioned rather than shooting all the time. He also proved his worth in big matches by not needlessly giving away free kicks in dangerous positions.

redstevo

Post by redstevo »

Hleb's nickname should be "The surgeon".

He always likes to cut inside!

Come on it is Friday!

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I'd say Clichy too with Cesc a close second and Gilberto third Kolo fourth.