Henry set to join Barcelona

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
deluded_gooner

Post by deluded_gooner »

Angry (because he has left us for dead). Disgusted (about the transfer fee) Betrayed (our captain just stabbed us in the back and casually walked away).

The barcelona fans are never going to love and respect him the same way we have done.

I always thought id say these words when he retired,

The Legend is over.

Ben-gooner14

Post by Ben-gooner14 »

I agree he is never going to get the appreciation and relationship he had with the fans at arsenal. Thierry has been my idol for a many a year and if he goes it will be quite upsetting. I think we should show our appreciationwhat he has done for this club and took us to the next level is amazing, i think arsenal should organise something for him because there is no doubt he deserves it. The tranfer fee is wrong it should be at least £30 million, arsenal bought reyes for more than they might sell henry for if dosn't make sense. If he does go they should get Samuel eto in exchange. I would of understood if he left when he wasn't captain but that was when we were winning trophies such as the fa cup in 2005 and premiership's before. It's like steven gerrard leaving liverpool you just don't see it happening. I think he should keep to his contract which is for 4 years since signing last year, and putting in that emotional press conference last may after the champions league final. When Thierry first came to arsenal he was a winger and quoted he didn't score goals untill Wenger made him the world's best striker really Thierry should stay at Arsenal for as long Wenger does. I think if the move happens it has a big part to do with the departure of David Dein as we all know them two had a great realationship and Thierry was very upset when he left. Also players like Fabregas looked up to people like Henry, and Fabregas has already said he wants to go back to barcelona it now might be closer than you think.

augie

henry gone

Post by augie »

:o I won't miss henry the player, def won't miss henry the captain but unless we sign someone big (and soon) then we will miss the high status he brought to our club.
I am wondering how all those fans that shrugged their shoulders when David Dein was sacked feel now. It was said that his departure would have no effect on the club. It was said that Wenger was more than willing to work with the club even though we had no money. There can be no question that Arsene is not happy with DD's departure, Henry wasn't happy with his departure and henry also felt that without funds our club was on the slide. Now the fans that supported hill-woods opinion that we dont need no yank in our club should ask themselves if their opinion is changing because make no mistake wenger will follow henry out the door when his contract is up and after that maybe cesc,kolo etc. We need funds and fast even if it comes from "his sort"(kroenke).
We all knew that henry was going but i am disappointed that we didnt have his replacement at the club before we sold him. It will be very hard for us to sell the club to any top player when our star has just gone, our manager's contract is up in 12 months time and we dont have a pot to piss in. Our status as a big club is seriously on the line here and signing trezeguet or babel will not restore it. We need an eto, torres or even an andy johnson to lift us again. How we only value henry at 16m when bent is valued at 18m is beyond me. Would arsene have let henry go if he felt he would still be the manager after next season ? I think not :!:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Didn't bother me bollix to check how far this post had gone so lazily started another one called "Henry gone?". Ignore that one for continuity. Following Augies last post what I said has some relevence here.

I originally posted (2nd post?) as below;

I have two feelings on this;

1. Henry has a well known Sciatica problem - a problem that only gets worse with age. Maybe wenger knows more about the extent of that than he's letting on.

Or (please God no)

2. Wenger has a verbal deal done with Barca for himself for next summer when his contract is up and wants Henry in place without taking a huge chunk out of his own future transfer kitty.

There is a sort of precedent for this. he made sure we had Vieira in place for his arrival at Highbury.

I really hope I'm wrong on that last one...

Arsene is a man of honour but he is very pragmatic and ambitious so the above scenario is quite possible. :(

dbrien

Post by dbrien »

although I am disappointed to see him go, it is seldom a player leaves without owing anything.

what i mean is, we resurrected his career and in return he scored so many goals and gave us some wonderful pieces of skill, so i believe we are all quits.

Perhaps it is for the best as he didnt appear tha happy. Good luck to him and lets hope we beat Barca in the CL final and he scores the consolation ina 4-1 drubbing.

Paulie Walnuts

Post by Paulie Walnuts »

Feel pretty gutted, but not shocked. Kinda felt it coming.

For what it's worth, I think the idea of him going because the board got rid of DD? That's a cop out. Remember last year, he nearly walked, well DD was still here then and I don't believe Thierry stayed just because of David Dein. I'm sorry to see him go, but I can understand it. What I can't understand is why the board are selling him so cheap- it's a double whammy I thought I'd never go through again after the Vieira saga. What a club captain he turned out to be eh?

Never mind the bitterness though, he worked miracles for us and for that I salute him. And wish him luck.

GunnerTino

Post by GunnerTino »

Have to say I feel gutted! Its not only the fact that we've lost
a truly world class player but also a true star of the modern era.
He may have not been up to he's usually very high standards last
season but for god's sake! I can't believe some of the comments being posted about him going.It wasn't just what he offered us on the field of play,but it was he's ability to put Arsenal on a world stage.We must of gained millions of fans throughout the world because of his stunning displays.
So lets all be honest and admit this has catastrophic implications for our club."Wenger knows" Those famous last words,what a joke! The club is in turmoil everyone can see that,the vultures are circulating the Emirates.Henry could well be the first of many to go.Short of someone of the caliber of E'to who is Wenger going to buy to replace TH,Darren Bent,Nugent,Defoe? Don't make me laugh!!!!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

dbrien wrote:although I am disappointed to see him go, it is seldom a player leaves without owing anything.

what i mean is, we resurrected his career and in return he scored so many goals and gave us some wonderful pieces of skill, so i believe we are all quits.

Perhaps it is for the best as he didnt appear tha happy. Good luck to him and lets hope we beat Barca in the CL final and he scores the consolation ina 4-1 drubbing.
I agree. I have no hard feelings towards Tel. He doesn't "owe" us anymore. He paid us back by being loyal for a hell of alot longer than most players of his status would have. And by scoring fantastic goals. And winning trophies. :lol: 8)

I'm more angry at the board if it does turn out to be only £16 million with no world class replacement. Having said that I still don't agree with Augie that SS is the way forward. If we are broke now we will be twice as f*cked after he has sucked the club dry. :twisted:

Sorry Augie, we will have to agree to always disagree on that point... :wink:

Ben-gooner14

Post by Ben-gooner14 »

Remember though no one thought Ian Wright would be able to be replaced along came Dennis Bergkamp and Thierry Henry, we already have a dutch man in our team who is not yet in his prime and if arsenal can buy some superstar of a striker we will have another one. Also Henry's agent is not talking and i havn't heard anything from the board or manager unlike Barcelona who they seem to have information about the sporting director.

green gooner

Post by green gooner »

Do you trust a Manager with one year left to build for the future! Will Fabregas be the next up for sale?

I am numb just now trying to get my head around it all :?

Come and save us Stan Kroenke :roll:

GunnerTino

Post by GunnerTino »

I'm sorry DB10 but the club can't going the way it is,we've not been able to keep our best players for the last few seasons and someone has to carry the can for that.You just can't begin to imagine how bloody annoyed I'm getting at this old boy,old school tie bunch of codgers running our club!!
Like it or not football has changed,"Money talks,bullshit walks",it may be shallow and mercenary but unless Arsenal wake up to the fact we've no divine right to finish in the top 4 then we will be caught by the likes of Everton,Villa and( fuck me does this hurt to say this) Sp***......fuck it I couldn't even spell them out!!!!!

Paulie Walnuts

Post by Paulie Walnuts »

Btw, don't know if anyone's noticed, or will even appreciate this irony, but on Arsenal.com there is a pic of Henry in next season's away kit alongside the legend "Never Stand Still".

It could only happen to us, eh?

Ben-gooner14

Post by Ben-gooner14 »

If we goes and we need a new striker what about Dimitar Berbatov from spurs he showed last season what a player he is and that was his first season. Spurs are going to struggle to hold on to him with 16 million coming in from Thierry transfer if he goes and the money will already have tottenham won't be able to hold on to him he wants to play champions league football as well. I think we need Stan Kroenke to come in now, first of all we need to knukkle down our best players and he could do that and second of all we need to buy new players and he could do that if he brings a good sum of money which he probally will.

GunnerTino

Post by GunnerTino »

It was the same when we released our final Highbury kit,Viera was a major part of that,and last season Reyes was used to promote our new home kit.Just about sums up the club at the moment!

lisa_gooner

Post by lisa_gooner »

Sorry - I don't believe it.

**FINGERS IN EARS***

:shock:

LA LA LA LA... I CAN'T HEAR YOU .....LA LA LA LA