Henry set to join Barcelona

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
we_are_the_arsenal

Post by we_are_the_arsenal »

fucking hellllllll

this is bullshit, lets not kid ourselves if henry has left which it looks like, then we need a striker in his prime else we are totally fucked for this season. RVP will be good but who else? ade will do his little bit, bendtner wont do shit in his first year.

I wont sledge henry until i find out what really happened, whether he wanted to leave or wenger wanted him to leave.

16 mill???? fuck i hope thats bullshit else its a fucking disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by we_are_the_arsenal on Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goonerk

Post by goonerk »

it feels horrible knowing that we wont have him anymore. He's become such an iconic figure for as all, someone to be proud of, someone to look up. he changed our football club and is now firmly apart of its history. but i remember thinking we'd never find anyone to replace wright. Ok, his departure was less hard hitting, but my point is, yes we've lost our best player and our captain, but we are arsenal, we'll come back and we'll once again prove were the best. this is a new era. the invicibles team is all but gone now and we have to start afresh. the reason this scenario hurts so much is because all of us felt that thierry loved the club as much as we did. he said he was proud to pull on the shirt and have us sing his name. despite all the speculation and not listening to reason, in my heart i believed he would stay. i believed that once and for all, he would prove to us and the world that he is a true gooner, but maybe i was being a little too much of a romantic! the deal, as i write this, has not yet been confirmed by the club, so im praying to god its merely more speculation. The reality of it though is that its true. My message to all true gooners is, ok, were losing thierry, but lets all remember what he has done for us, the games he's won us, the goals he scored, his celebrations, his overall presence. Thierry Henry is a living arsenal legend and he will always be associated with us...never barcelona. he is a human being who is very ambitious. respect his decision to experience a different way of life and when we get taunted by rivals for losing him, smile and reply, 'we had the best player of a generation for 8 years'...beat that.

You will be sorely mr Thierry but i wish you well. You will always have a place in our hearts. You'll never be forgotten.

Now lets focus on our new era. We have some fantastic young players and with arsene at the helm, they will be the thierry henry's of tomorrow.

Put your trust in Arsene people...its all we can do right now.

DDignam

Post by DDignam »

i dont think im over exagerating, but without more cash from teh sale or a replacmenet we will seriously struggle for top 4 next year.

Who woudl want to come toa club in such turmoil now also. If wqe get to auguest, with 16mil and no replacment the board needs shooting, Barca must have been luaghing inside when that offer was accepted.

augie

henry gone

Post by augie »

:? Perhaps, DB10Gooner, I mislead you or you misinterpreted what I am saying re the whole DD saga - my position was, is and always will be in support of David Dein. I am not a supporter of kroenke (in fact i've no real opinion on him at all) but i am 100% behind the principle of bringing in outside investment because i believe without it we're f*ked ! Obviously i don't want the club mortgaged to the hilt like manure but i honestly do not believe DD would lead us down that road. The man has worked his nuts off for this club for over 20 years and in that time he has, with the help of a few other people(GG & wenger), turned us from a mid-table club in england to one of the elite clubs in europe and I do not believe he would wreck all his own work over this.
As i said before i'm no fan of henry and his departure on its own doesn't bother me (i've never believed in him for the big games) but everything is interlinked nowadays. In the last few years we've seen wenger built a great team then dismantle it to built a greater team but if wenger goes next year we will see the club dismantle not just the team. I've always believed that no man is bigger than the club but i do believe that wenger is the exception. The players loyalty is 95% to wenger and 5% to the club and if we think otherwise then we are fools. Could you trust this board to appoint even a half decent manager to replace him ? We have been very lucky to have players play for us over the last few years that have been inspired by success and not money (except c*ashly c*nt of course) but the downside of this is that these players will not be happy to just collect their pay checks if they are not winning trophies. Every single fan has said for the last 3 months that this team needs at least 3 top quality additions to the squad but we have no money so can you blame the players for thinking that they could be wasting the next few years here without winning anything ? Arsene Wenger also is clearly a man driven to succeed and is it reasonable for the board or us fans to expect him to stay and work miracles when he see's that we are being usurped in the transfer market by the likes of villa, man city & even sp*rs ?
From where I'm standing we cannot under any circumstances allow Arsene Wenger to leave this club so if it means keeping him & the outstanding prospects like cesc at this club then we should be prepared to do whatever it takes to give the man a decent transfer budget be it by winning the lottery, robbing a bank or even introducing a yank onto our board.

GunnerTino

Post by GunnerTino »

Sorry goonerk but my trust in Arsene is long gone!
He's hiding away not explaning the decision to sell,
he's made poor signings recently and at times last
season made some bizzare tactical decisions,
I'm afraid but I think the prof has lost his golden
touch and looks like he is treading water waiting
for he's contract to end.

Cesc is God

Post by Cesc is God »

I'm just praying to God that Wenger stays. IF he goes then were fucked!

DDignam

Post by DDignam »

If AW goes (as i think he will) i precict th efollowing departures

Cesc
RVP
Gallas

Think teh likes of kolo, gilberto, hleb rosicky will stay around. Kolo would be our biggest loss in my opinion.

goonerk

Post by goonerk »

i am in complete agreeance with augie...every single word...

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Goodbye Thierry, I am gutted that you are leaving and feel cheated that the price does not reflect your standing within the game. I am however proud that I saw you play long before the media realised and reported just what a talent you were. You have scored many wonderful goals for Arsenal, for hich I am very thankful, I just hope your goals now dry up and you regret your move for the rest of your life, lots of hard feelings

Wayno

DanielD

Post by DanielD »

My head hurts so bad right now. I don't know where to start.
Is he really leaving or it's just another fecking rumor from fecking spain. Who can replace him, RVP, Ade and Theo? I don't know! If he's leaving does that brings us to a new era and wenger will leave too next season?
It's so tough to handle, i really really (i'm starting to talk like kolo) hope he's staying.

Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

To paraphrase the legendary commentator Bill McClaren:

They'll be dancing in the streets of White Hart Lane/Stretford/Liverpool/West London tonight!!! :cry: :cry:

Why oh why oh why have the club done this? :? :? Have they got a suicide wish?

I know that I've probably mentioned this before, but a couple of years ago didn't the Board say that we would have a world-class team to play in our world-class stadium? Since then we have lost the following from our squad of 'invincibles': Vieira; Edu; Wiltord; Kanu; Lauren; Campbell; Pires; Cole; Reyes and now Henry.

Lets be honest with ourselves now guys. Who in our current squad can truely be labelled world-class? Not potentially world-class in the future, but proven in the here and now? I would say Cesc, Robin Van Persie, Toure and, er... that's it folks!!!

Now in my opinion Rosicky could join that list in the very near future but as for the rest? We are going to have to wait a few more years for their talent to truely flourish. But what will happen then? Will we have to sell them as well? And what happens in the mean-time?

I am sick and tired of being treated as a mug! Is that all the Arsenal have become? A fucking feeder club? THE MIGHTY ARSENAL - a fucking feeder club for the likes of Madrid and Barca and any other *word censored* who have got a few quid to spare (which is more than we do, it appears!).

And worst of all, you don't even have to offer top dollar for those players! £16 million for Henry? Somebody really is having a laugh. Unfortunately, it's the Arsenal Board - and they are laughing at our expense!!!
Last edited by Eboue Can't Defend on Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Every single match in our new stadium was sold out last season. Somthing like 1.6m passed through the turnstiles. That was 20000 a game more than the quoted "break even" figure. So gate receipts alone must be £80-£100m!!! Add to that the "fighting fund" which wasn't spent last season. Add to that the wage savings made by experienced players moving on - Bergkamp, Pires, Lauren, Campbell.... Add to that the money (I really don't believe its only £15m!) for Henry. Add to that the pressure on the board to act after Stan's approach.

So please don't tell me that AW doesn't have money to spend if he wants to. I'm trying very hard at this moment to keep the faith. He know's you know, he really does. But please Arsene or Arsenal, come out and say or do something which gives us a "sign"!!!

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Cheer yourself up by listening to Barca's anthem:
http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/download ... ack_07.mp3

Whatever we come up with has to be better than that euro shite!!!

ruthless

Post by ruthless »

Ah come on, it ain't that bad. He's been great but..

He's getting older, he's a big prima donna, he's not going to get any better, stronger, he's definitely lost some pace.

One player does not make a team.