The King is Dead!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

I wonder if it will too unlikely that the club signed Henry for 4 years last season, just so that we could get some cash when we sold him this season. It wouldnt surprise me if Arsene wanted to sell him as much as he wanted to leave, maybe more. Viera had stated once that he didnt want the move to Juve.

proudtosaythatname

Post by proudtosaythatname »

We all can speculate - mine is that Wenger intended to strip Henry of the captaincy and TH's ego couldn't accept that - so leaving was an honourable way out for both. However, that's just a guess. Arsenal, we need to know the truth, or at least some public statement, like confirm or not; and if so, who is going to replace him? And fast.

proudtosaythatname

....and in case you've not seen it, Sky News just reported (7.20am) that Henry has written a letter explaining his move. Dein gone, Wenger contract only 1 year more, so realistically this is his last chance. Sort of makes sense. However, nothing from Arsenal.com News which is headlining on 'Player of the Season to be revealed Monday'! They need to reveal a bit more than that.

munsterbus

Post by munsterbus »

According to some of the quotes in todays papers, TH is going to Barcelona "for their football, their history, and their stadium"

I suppose that's because Arsenal are sooo lacking in all three is it?

OK so TH has gone - he was a legend for the club and it was a privilege to have seen him play some of the best football I have ever seen.
But no single player is bigger than the club, and I think that the young squad we have now will flourish now that he's gone.

My main concern is that Arsene is making noises about leaving as well.
That really does worry me. For my money, he's the best club manager in the world, and we can't really afford to lose him.

Geordie

Post by Geordie »

lot of people with awful short memories on here afer all he's done for you 16 million as well with Arsene's record of buying cheap young talent and nurturing it

Rob Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rob Admin »

Munsterbus you just beat me to it........

What hurts is Henry's quote ""Barcelona are a wonderful club steeped in tradition and play beautiful football. I'm sure I will be very happy there," he wrote. "

I wish Henry well, thanks for the memories but I won't lose sleep if the Arsenal curse sees him fail at Barcelona.

As far as Arsenal legends go there are 2 categories for me.

Bergkamp, Adams, Bould etc.,

Then there is Henry, Vieira etc,.

Obviously based not based on talent alone, but we all know what I am talking about.

It's a shame that my wonderful memories of such a talented played our tainted by the failure in the Paris final and then a move to the victorious team after pledging his life to Arsenal.

Onwards and upwards!

Rob.

augie

Post by augie »

:x The Gaurdian are running a story this morning claiming kroenke has offered to bankroll a multi-million transfer spree but this offer has been rejected by the board. Does this rejection surprise me ? Not 1 jot ! Before fans start turning on wenger they should start looking at things from his point of view - he has lost his biggest ally in the club, the man he worked closely with for over 10 years and who was responsible for bringing him into the club and on top of that he is now working with a board that can offer him no money to invest in the squad but have also refused money from outside sources as well ! I do not believe that after the years of service wenger has given this club he should be continually expected to work with 1 hand tied behind his back while all of his main rivals are given a considerable head start again. Like nearly all Gooners I want Arsene to stay but I do feel that if there is a zero chance of him signing a new contract to serve under this board then maybe he should leave now otherwise we will be just a dead man walking for 12 months. Sadly unless their is a massive rebellion by the fans i cannot see any future changes in the way this club is run and arsene will bid us au reviour. Bring back David Dein !!

CraigPollard

Post by CraigPollard »

I feel like a loved one has died, its very strange, i knew TH14 was off this summer, but i still dont want to admit it has happened. If asked who i would rather keep at the club, Henry or Wenger, the answer was unbelievably simple. Wenger could find us another Henry, Henry would never bring in a new Wenger. I know damn well that no man is bigger than the club, but AW has got to be bloody close now. If he was to leave us next summer i will feel even worse then than i do now!

I feel arsenal have been raped again. 16 million for a player like Thierry is shit! plain and simple. Why do we seem to be becoming a selling club? I know David Dein was loved by all at Arsenal, but since when has the vice chairman had such an influence on players, and why are arsenal in the position that when he left Henry went back on everything he has ever said, Then you have Cesc saying if Wenger leaves, so will he. Its quite blatantly fuckin obvious the club are not concerned with contracts. Cesc may be tied to the club for 8 years, but put enough £ signs infront of our full of *word censored* board, and im sure they will sell.

Why do i also get the feeling that AW will see next to none of this money? The board will probably use it to pay off some of the debt!

I am really am in a position at the moment where i seem to love to hate this club. I am worried, i am really worried!!!! I know we have exceptional talent at the club, but will Thierry's departure just fuck things up more for us.

This is a very sad day........

Craig

James77

Post by James77 »

TH14 was and still is a legend. Yes, he went missing in some big games (how different life would be if he'd scored that one-on-one in Paris) but some of the goals he scored, his commitment to the cause and his sheer arrogance in some of the games was worth the cost of the season ticket alone.
He's gone for a fresh challenge, rightly or wrongly, but I hope if we meet barca in the champs league, we let him know we love him, then hope he bottles it!!
£16m is shite for a top class goalscorer, but who do we try to replace him with? Bent? Is he worth 16m? He's young, quick, a Gooner (apparently) and AW could turn him into a scoring machine.
Thnaks for the memories Tel.

Basil is a Gooner

The king is dead!

Post by Basil is a Gooner »

Arsenal.com have FINALLY put a brief announcment on the website confirming the departure of TH14.

proudtosaythatname

Thanks for that Basil - brief is an understatement! Come on Arsenal, say something, reassure us...no wonder they wanted the season ticket money by 31st May

Rad

Post by Rad »

Although he was a legend for us Henry may have been becoming A Shearer like figure at Arsenal (everything going through the striker and the team becoming an afterthought) . Without the senior players around him last season such as Pires, Vieira and DB he didn't have the support or leadership skills to manage the situation presented to him. I particularly remember him berating RVPersie against Everton at home because Robin asked TH to chase down the keeper!

His departure may re-ignite the side and give players not in the limelight (because of TH's big shadow) a chance to shine. I expect great things of RVP. Bendtner is coming through and Adebayor has got potential at his age. Vela is one for the future and Walcott may prove to be a new Michael Owen type who can play down the middle rather than on the wing. Knowing Wenger he'll pull another gem out of the transfer market and we'll wonder what all the fuss is about.

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Goonerk/Augie - Spot on.

Wayno - get a grip mate, total over reaction, nobody would want to play for a club where the fans are like you. If any of the players read that they'd probably all want to jump ship, we are fans with a reputation of being knowledgable and fair, lets not lose that just because a player leaves.

proudtosaythatname

This is the club statement from Arsenal.com

"Club statement - Transfer of Thierry Henry

Arsenal Football Club can confirm that it has reached an agreement with Barcelona for the transfer of Thierry Henry. The deal is subject to a medical and the completion of formalities.

Further information will be available on Arsenal.com in due course."

- don't overdo it guys!

DanielD

Post by DanielD »

Arsenal.com can be pretty annoying at time, but if it's written on the official site, it must be truth. I think that the official site of manure has an actual rumors (this is how you spell rumors?)section in it, lol.