The King is Dead!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
proudtosaythatname

The King is Dead!

Post by proudtosaythatname »

I've got mixed feelings. Is TH a treacherous b*stard who reneged on a 4-year contract? Or a wonderful player who lifted Arsenal into the football stratosphere - invincibles etc - gave us immeasurable pleasure and scored 200 goals, many of which will live with us all our Gooner lives - or a useless captain concerned only with his own image? For the moment I'm just numb with disappointment and don't know what to think. As an Arsenal legend I loved Thierry; as a captain he was clearly wanting. I'm just in shock; however much you know it's coming (and we did) it's hard when it hits. Let's give it a couple of days and see how we feel...Thank goodness Ed for websites like this (as opposed to corporateplc.com)where we can express our true emotions. I guess it's a bit like a bereavement...

DDignam

Post by DDignam »

I feel totally stabbed in the back by him and teh club, let him go for that money, they have some serious answers to come up with, hopefully in teh way of signings,

just cant getr over that price tag, thats less than bent, carrick,

disgusted, truly disguted by it all.

we_are_the_arsenal

Post by we_are_the_arsenal »

im in shock. we dont know if henry wanted to leave or we sold him cos we need the cash. fuck i cant beleive this.

GunnerTino

Post by GunnerTino »

Saw your other post and in response to the question of him going
I think he has been sold by the club and he would have stayed if they really wanted him to,I mean he was under contract and if they had
no intention of selling him they would have told Barca to fuck off and
go buy someone else! Ask yourself this....Why not try and buy Drogba
who is quite clearly the best striker in the Premiership? Because Chelsea would have sent them off with flea in their ear,thats why!
We're now known as a club that can't hold on to their best players,it started as far back as Anelka,Overmars and Petit and has carried on since.
Its like starting from scratch every bloody season and hoping for the best!!

we_are_the_arsenal

yeh you make some good points. I will be interested to hear what wneger says after he "guaranteed" us henry will be playing with us next season.

goonerk

Post by goonerk »

all i can bare to say right now is...

Thierry, thank you for the memories. You gave us so much to be thankful for. I for one will always have a place in my heart for you, you're a living legend and to watch you play for us has been an absolute pleasure. When I sit back in my armchair aged 85, i'll look back and be sooo proud that we sang your name and that you were ours.

Im devastated to see you leave - but proud that you were one of us.

You'll be sorely missed TH14.

the_gooner89

Titi

Post by the_gooner89 »

Just read the article and to be honest i dont believe it, until its announced on the arsenal website, its shit. And as for the 16mil thats bullshit to. chelski get shevva for 30mil and with henry leaving for 16, its not happening.

The next question is, who do we buy to replace him IF speculation is true? D.trez - waste of time and effort.

or are we sticking with adebayor and persie....

Rik

we_are_the_arsenal

Re: Titi

the_gooner89 wrote:Just read the article and to be honest i dont believe it, until its announced on the arsenal website, its shit. And as for the 16mil thats bullshit to. chelski get shevva for 30mil and with henry leaving for 16, its not happening.

The next question is, who do we buy to replace him IF speculation is true? D.trez - waste of time and effort.

or are we sticking with adebayor and persie....

Rik
Anelka? dont know how much he would be worth now, but dont know if wenger would have him back. He is very talented tho.

GunnerTino

Post by GunnerTino »

I remember Arsene saying that about Henry staying,"Its a funny old game",as they say! Where is he now though? In fact why the silence
from Arsenal,do they feel embarassed about the whole thing? WELL THEY BLODDY WELL SHOULD!!

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Bye
Last edited by Wayno on Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the_gooner89

Post by the_gooner89 »

nah although he scores for fun past us we need a, nistlerooy, eto, rooney,
match winners and influential to the team. Im disapointed of the "departure" when thierry claims the fans persuaded him to stay but then departs the following season. Mind you witht he first seaosn at the emirates i dont blame him but seriously im hoping somethign good comes out of it. Wenger stay every other bugger to stay. New striker world class then we win the title.

Rik

augie

Post by augie »

:? The price tag clearly makes no sense to anybody but henry def wanted out so there is no way the club sold him out. I think that most fans are more concerned with what this sale will do for the credibility of our club more than the loss of henry the player. If Dein was still at the club then we wouldn't have had all the speculation re Arsene's future and the takeover stuff so the sale of henry wouldn't have been the huge deal it is but now.....? A lot of fans questioned henry last season anyway and even wenger got pissed off with him when he had to pull him into line before the spurts game at emirates so on its own this sale( the price apart) is no big deal. The big issue now though turns to repacements and the need for a top quality replacement. I dont think I'm alone when i say that signing a babel or some other young unknown will placate the fans here - we need to sign an eto or a torres to show our players, our fans, our domestic opposition and all of europe that we are still here and will still be challenging right at the very top. A lot of our foes will be making a huge deal of this sale so we have got to ensure that we do not get sucked into believing that we have lost a player of the quality that henry was 3 seasons ago - we have lost a 30 year old player who has served us well in the past but whose best days are behind him and we will march on without him.

DDignam

Post by DDignam »

Agree with Augie, big issue in teh sale is proce, we get another 10 million its good business, at the moment its awful business as we cannot replace him with that sort of money

As for him gone, im lloking forward to it, every play wont go through him and we may change our style, to one with an out and out striker

augie

Post by augie »

8) Normally at a time like this we'd all be turning our attention to possible new recruits to wengers army but we cant even focus on that at the mo. This success or failure of this deal will rest firmly on arsene's contract situation. We should be excited at the thoughts of signing an eto or torres(who I still think we'll get) but given the whole uncertainty at the club at the moment we cannot even be sure that the £16m will be used to buy players. Its time to make a statement here Arsene

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

I presume that the story is true as all the papers seem to be reporting it - although strangely not the official Barcelona or Arsenal websites. And Arsenal are notoriously quiet re-transfer fees, so I would be amazed if there were any substance around the £15m. Plus we now have an extra £100k a week to spend on wages!

I'm sad to see him go, but lets not get carried away. The guy is almost 30 & although I'm sure he'll get a new lease of life he is definitely not the player we saw 2+ years ago. He gave us the best years of his career & we should be thankful for that. And at least him signing a new contract last season meant that he didn't walk on a free. Interesting as well that Arsenal obviously didn't try to make this an auction between Barca & Milan. This would have got us more money, which maybe suggests that Arsenal were giving TH what he wanted - rather than, as some have suggested, just cashing in.

I think that AW has someone lined up to take his place. Who is anyone's guess!