Who should replace Henry?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

I'm afraid I disagree with Gooners who keep suggesting Torres as a solution to our striker problems.

Have people actually watched him play or are they just parroting the names being slung out by the media? (Sorry - didn't mean it to sound patronising :oops: )

The guy is a good player but NOT a prolific scorer. I believe he has only once scored more than 20 goals in a season (3 years ago). He is not another Thierry Henry or a 'fox in the box'. If anything, Torres is more of a support striker or play-maker (a bit like Bergkamp/Gudjohnson/Totti?).

He is also still very young and - because he comes from a similar family back-ground - I would worry that he might suffer from 'Jose Antonio Reyes' syndrome.

Finally, the price we would reportedly have to pay for Torres (£27 million) is way to high - even if we include Reyes as part of the deal. £10 -£15 million maybe, but not £27 million. Anyway, I believe we have players in the current squad that can replicate the way that Torres plays (Rosicky for one).

(Before anyone writes in - I KNOW Totti finished the season as the European Golden Boot!! However, first of all he gets to take all their penalties and most of their free-kicks, as he is Roma's talisman and best player. Secondly, he has never scored that many goals in a season before and, I confidently predict, will NEVER repeat that feat again!!)

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

I think we may have to swalow a bit of pride and go for Anelka! You cant doubt his class and I think hes grown up a bit now! Plus hopefully someone had shot his greedy scumbag brothers!

I would also say Tevez but does anyone know who owns him to buy him from?

Still Van Persie Adebayor and a fit confident Walcott can do the business! However I think the place could do with the buzz and lift of a big name signing!

Sod Reyes tho!

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Eboue Can't Defend wrote: I KNOW Totti finished the season as the European Golden Boot!! However, first of all he gets to take all their penalties and most of their free-kicks, as he is Roma's talisman and best player
Are you sure that's totti you're talking about? With a striker who regularly finishes top goalscorer, becoming our best player - our talisman if you will, taking most of our free-kicks and penalties....where would one find that sort of player nowadays??

Note: I agree with second point but that would've stamped all over the above.

As long as Arsene has a plan.....I feel that we will be signing one of two guys from ajax because there isn't alot of realistic choice out there. Who knows whether an established name will bed in any more than a young prospect. Now that we have lost Henry, we need some guaranteed goals. Anelka??

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

I think Theo is the future replacement for TH14 but his departure has come a little too early. Theo needs 2/3 more years playing on the right side of midfield before moving to play left striker in the Hebry role. (Carling cup Final, England U21's)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lufF0UkGyU0
http://youtube.com/watch?v=i1Rg5uid_Iw

Eboue Can't Defend

Galasso wrote:
Eboue Can't Defend wrote: I KNOW Totti finished the season as the European Golden Boot!! However, first of all he gets to take all their penalties and most of their free-kicks, as he is Roma's talisman and best player
Are you sure that's totti you're talking about? With a striker who regularly finishes top goalscorer, becoming our best player - our talisman if you will, taking most of our free-kicks and penalties....where would one find that sort of player nowadays??

Note: I agree with second point but that would've stamped all over the above.
You know Galasso, even as I was writing that sentence I saw an image of Thierry! I knew someone would pick up on that point.

However, as you graciously admit (I think), that achievement by Totti will most likely be a one-off!

Now, if you don't mind mate, I will now pick you up on one of your points: Totti doesn't 'regularly finish top goalscorer' as you implied above. Since becoming a Roma first-team regular in season 1994/5, Totti has, I believe, only finished club top scorer once (twice at most) and only scored 20 plus goals twice. Contrast that with Thierry's record.
Last edited by Eboue Can't Defend on Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

Oh and I forgot Trezuguet! I wouldnt mind him coming!

Our French contingent is now on the wane with TH14 sodding off and Alililililililadiere moving to the charms of Middlesborough!

Im sure there is some european law that staes Arsenal must at all times have 10 french players so he would help with that too!

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

ECD

Yes, was meant graciously (should use smileys more but they scare me), as also agree that Torres is maybe the subject of excessive hype.

Perhaps we are all missing the fact that AW is more likely to go for someone who he thinks he can mould into the team. Or panic and buy Francis Jeffers!

Eboue Can't Defend

Galasso wrote:ECD

Perhaps we are all missing the fact that AW is more likely to go for someone who he thinks he can mould into the team.
What, like Morph from the television programme 'Take Hart'? :lol: (You know the one. Started in the 70's. He was a good painter - ala Rolf Harris - and use to show viewers pictures each week (Tony Hart the presenter that is - not Morph!! Now he had totally different skills!!).

Yeah, that's right. Him. :wink:

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

Just saw this

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/story_p ... ort1.shtml

I really think we would need to go buy a couple of players rather than just one and Huntelaar and Babel sounds a better prospect to me than Anelka.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Eboue Can't Defend wrote:
What, like Morph from the television programme 'Take Hart'? :lol: (You know the one. Started in the 70's. He was a good painter - ala Rolf Harris - and use to show viewers pictures each week (Tony Hart the presenter that is - not Morph!! Now he had totally different skills!!).

Yeah, that's right. Him. :wink:
Morph scared the shit out out of me as well. One minute he's a pencil, next a lion, then a dustbin..he was crazy. Is Jens Lehman made out of plastecine? As for Tony Hart, don't want to know what he turned Morph into in his spare time...

Thanks for the pick up re Totti. I wasn't suggesting that Totti was a regular scorer ala TH, it was just an add-on to describe TH, which is confusing, for everyone, including me.

I wish I was Morph - then I could turn myself into a 40 goal a season striker and hang around with Brazilian models (ssshhh, the wife doen't know).

Only One Tony Adams

Post by Only One Tony Adams »

Gutted TH14 has gone ..........The king is dead long live the King.
I'm happy with Van Persie and Young Walcott, not sure about Anelka(whats he done since he walked out on us). Torres 25 million plus!!!!!!!!!
Tevez, do you think his heart would be with Arsenal or with the size of his contract.
I like the look of Babel,a bit raw but AW could mould him into our style of play.
As for ADEBYOR do me a favour

Only One Tony Adams

Post by Only One Tony Adams »

Gutted TH14 has gone ..........The king is dead long live the King.
I'm happy with Van Persie and Young Walcott, not sure about Anelka(whats he done since he walked out on us). Torres 25 million plus!!!!!!!!!
Tevez, do you think his heart would be with Arsenal or with the size of his contract.
I like the look of Babel,a bit raw but AW could mould him into our style of play.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Only One Tony Adams wrote:Gutted TH14 has gone ..........The king is dead long live the King.
Agree re Babel, if Wenger see something in the player that he thinks he can work on and develop. Difference is that he knew Henry very well already. The only young players he know inside out now are Arsenal's players. (a definite bonus for any potential future employers should the worst happen)

RVP, class - Anelka, he has it, can someone get three or four year in a row out of him....?

the_gooner89

Post by the_gooner89 »

Babel is a wide man not an out and out striker so i wouldnt have him down to replace henry. Although i would like to see babel sign for us.

If wenger buys anelka then he wouldnt go for any other striker and for me anelka hasnt got what it takes to fire us into finals and win trophies.

Torres is never goign to happen, man utd will attract him i think.

Berbatov - joke
Martins - joke
Owen - joke

So who does that leave us with... david villa in my eyes, whether he would come is another question but hes our style of player.

Van Persie will be our next henry trust me, wenger also believes he will be and i also think wenger will sign if we attract a couple of good players this seaosn.