grimandi will be next manager

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Galasso

Post by Galasso »

gunner67 wrote:Next manager- who knows?? But we'll get plenty of quality interest when Arsene finally does go. I have to admit that that day will be a day to be sad. Arsene has made Arsenal into a quality side. Didn't we once have the smallest ground in London?
We never had the smallest ground in London.

Am I missing something? I feel like i am in the twilight zone.

Only One Tony Adams

Post by Only One Tony Adams »

smallest pitch.....not gound me thinks....... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Ahh yes, there it is, smallest pitch....was imagining Orient in the Leytonstone San Siro!

Was watching Arsenal on TV abroad, and an American couldn't believe how small the pitch looked and wondered it we could only use really tiny players on it!

Ben-gooner14

Grimandi as new director of football

Post by Ben-gooner14 »

I don't know if you have read the mirror today but Giles Grimandi has been watching a player called Aquilani who is an emerging talent from the Italian under 21 team. With Grimandi set to be Arsenal new director of football the think is that Aquilani will be coming to Arsenal.

DanielD

Post by DanielD »

Can I ask you why you don't think Capello should be our next manager, whenever that may be?
Well, Capello isn't the kind of manager that loves attacking football and Arsenal for the last 10 years are all about that kind of football. Do we really want to change that style?
I don't really see him going to give our youngsters a chance like wenger does. As i said, i'd rather have a manager with great potential that loves attacking football (Guus Hiddink isn't known for his attacking tactics, so for me he's just like Capello) and i find the dutch-masters to be a good choice.

For me, whenever Wenger quits the Arsenal job, i would like him to be director of football at Arsenal, it would be absolutely incredible

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

Does it have to be a big name if Arsene stays in some kind of director role?

I wouldnt be suprised if he has a protigy in France working as a coach! who remembers Remi Garde? Last I heard he was getting a great name coaching!

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

DanielD wrote:
Can I ask you why you don't think Capello should be our next manager, whenever that may be?
Well, Capello isn't the kind of manager that loves attacking football and Arsenal for the last 10 years are all about that kind of football. Do we really want to change that style?
I don't really see him going to give our youngsters a chance like wenger does. As i said, i'd rather have a manager with great potential that loves attacking football (Guus Hiddink isn't known for his attacking tactics, so for me he's just like Capello) and i find the dutch-masters to be a good choice.

For me, whenever Wenger quits the Arsenal job, i would like him to be director of football at Arsenal, it would be absolutely incredible
I agree that I don't think Capello would be a good choice but not for this reason. I don't think that he would adjust to the culture English football. I don't know what his record is on bringing through youth players - the clubs he has been at work on very different systems of management. He is however successful in a trophy count.

We have been fortunate that we have been able to marry good football with success but this is a fine line to tread. Chelsea are very strong and successful but are not very nice to watch. Arsene Wenger has proved himself in the past that he is pragmatgic when it comes to winning trophies. He defended the gameplan of our 2005 cup final triumph by saying that it was important that the club won a trophy and he set out the team as such.

Of course Arsene Wenger has given the kids a chance but much of this has come out of neccessity.

The more important question is whether, when the time comes, we can find a man to carry on ALL of the work that had taken place at the club, not just the end product. I think, if it came to it, a recommendation from AW would be a good start for me. As for him taking an overseeing role, think about the burden that would place on the new Manager. hat would Director of Football involve?

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Van Basten would be a superb choice, very much in the Wenger mould, and his legendary playing reputation i'm sure would attract big names.

Hey after his cameo in DB's testimonial i'd have him back as the big name replacement for TH. Certainly better then Baptista ever was.

DanielD

Post by DanielD »

reasons to be optimistic:

Arsene Wenger will hand fans a clear indication of his intentions to stay with Arsenal by appointing Gilles Grimandi as the club's new football director.

The Guardian says Grimandi is expected to become Arsenal's director of football this week. The former midfielder's appointment is believed to have been a key topic at the board meeting four days ago during which the £16m sale of Thierry Henry to Barcelona was approved.

Grimandi, who has been the Gunners' scout in France after retiring as a player, will take on the player-recruitment duties previously performed by David Dein. His appointment could follow quickly by an announcement that Wenger has signed a new three-year contract extension with the Gunners.

T.S

Post by T.S »

One of the better and most sensible articles I've read on our "demise".

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

Gus Hiddink. Thank god for that, thought you meant Gus Ceasar for a moment there!!

Ok, just kidding.

As for the Gilles becoming Director of Football, I love the guy and it will be great to see him back at the club, but what credentials does he have to fill this role? So he played for us, then played in the States for a bit and has spent the last few years scouting, but negotiating deals with some of the biggest rollers in world football and convincing top top players to join Arsenal is a few steps up.

Rather than being critical I'm genuinely asking the question. What qualifies him as the man for the job? Thoughts?

fridge

Post by fridge »

Only one problem with Bergkamp, who would manage when we play away in europe?

DanielD

Post by DanielD »

For a start, he's one of our head scouts, so he knows how the club runs. Second, he's close to Arsene, so they might have good relation.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Trevheff

Good question...

It really depends on what the job description is and what his reponsibilities are.

There are few people who could do the job in the same way and with the same influence as David Dein. He spent 20 years building up contacts on the admin side of the game, leading him to obtaining influential posts within the FA and G14. Arsene was able to give this admin side over to DD, while giving DD access to his football contacts, which AW had built up over his managerial learning process and during his travels. This combination of footballing and administrative influence and power is what I believe to be the key here.

Gilles Grimandi cannot possibly have such influence in administrative circles, but his access in footballing circles will derive from AW and the Arsenal name. I am sure that AW knows what he wants and who he wants to work with. Remember, it is important to find for him to find someone he trust implicitly.

In conclusion, of course we have lost experitse through David Dein's departure, no question. But it is balancing act in finding a suitable replcement and perhaps responsibilties will be shared out.

P.S. DD spent many years pushing himself into those positions of influence and I doubt that he will be out of the scene for long.

DanielD

Post by DanielD »

Only one problem with Bergkamp, who would manage when we play away in europe?
Good point, mate. If he can't come over his flying phobia, he can be a coach on the safe ground of Underhill.