Mr Wenger

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Red Carpet

Post by Red Carpet »

Galasso - Good post mate .. I don't disagree with any of that, other than perhaps Dein's return , which, as you rightly say, would only probably happen if the sale went through.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Red Carpet

It seems Dein is the pivotal figure for many people in wondering in which direction the club goes in the next 12 months and what effect this has on the financial position, ownership and most importantly managerial side. I know that Arsene is intelligent enough to see the bigger/ financial position.

Want to through something else out there. A reporter from Le Figaro in Paris who is close to Wenger, said that he got the impression from his conversations with the Boss that Wenger sees it as his moral duty to build up the team and club, with particular reference to what was happening at Chelsea.

Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

Can I just remind eveyone that it was Peter Hill Wood who decided to play 'Charlie Big Bollocks' over the Cashley wage rise that led to THAT meeting with Chelsea?

Dein had basically agreed a rise in Arsehole's wages to take them up to £60,000 per week. When he ran that by the Board, Peter Hill Wood said we would only go up to £55,000 and Mr. Tweedy could either like it or lump it.

Arsene Wenger then asked the Board whether they were willing to risk losing Cuntley over £5,000 a week. We know the answer to that one, don't we!!

As I have said elsewhere, I would take David Dein over the current Board anytime. However, like a lot of other fans I am worried about Kroenke's intentions. Provided S.S. doesn't use the Glazier financial model, I would be willing to at least listen to what he has to offer the club.

I know we are all assuming that if Kroenke gets more involved in Arsenal, that a full-scale take-over of the club is inevitable. However, none of us knows for sure. Lets see what happens before jumping to conclusions.

Let us all hope that Kroenke's intentions are honourable and that he can help take the club forward. If that means the return of David Dein, all the better.

Red Carpet

Post by Red Carpet »

I'd like to think Galasso that Wenger is of that mindset, we all know that historically he has left resigning his contracts to the last minute and is very honourable but given Henry's comments it would be a huge relief to us all if he were to reasure us.

On the subject of Cole's contract wasn't it the case that the extra 5k a week Cashley wanted was to pay his agent ?!?!. If that was the case then the board were absolutely right to tell him to f*ck off.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Eboue Can't Defend wrote:Provided S.S. doesn't use the Glazier financial model, I would be willing to at least listen to what he has to offer the club.
Good point. With all the talk of what has happened at Old Trafford, I'd kind of taken it for granted that Kronky would be doing the same thing. Fact is, as you say, we don't know that for sure - and I think is key to the debate.

Eboue Can't Defend

Given that attitude Red Carpet, its no wonder no *word censored* wants to sign/stay with us!!!

Fact Alert!! All players pay their agents one way or the other - whether including the fee within the wage demand or in the way it is alleged.

Whether you like it or not, the fact is both Wenger (the manager) and Dein (director on football matters) wanted to give Cole the rise. It was the people that know fuck-all about football - Peter Hill Wood or/and the rest of the Board - that said no!!

Red Carpet

Post by Red Carpet »

I was of the impression that Cole wanted Arsenal to pay his agent 5k a week, which, rightly, the board told him to shove it, if he wants an agent then he can pay for him.

Look, we could go round for ages on this subject. I am at the moment of the opinion that the board have the best interests of the club at heart and so will support them until they prove otherwise.

Dein wanted us to move to Wembley .. not the cleverest idea in my book, which doesn't make him the Mr Midas many people are suggesting he is.

GunnerTino

Post by GunnerTino »

Dein might of wanted the Wembley move
because he might of been worried about the financial
implications building a new stadium would have had
on the club,and how that might put the clubs ability
to stay at the very top in jeopardy,so far he hasn't
been proven wrong!

Ok the stadium will start to reap dividends in the
future,of that there is no doubt,but at what price
here in the present? Look,football can't be played
wondering how things may turn out in the
future,just as you can't keep going on about things
that have happened in the past,we need to strengthen
the squad NOW! That is the unquestionable fact of
the matter.

Eboue Can't Defend

Red Carpet wrote:Look, we could go round for ages on this subject. I am at the moment of the opinion that the board have the best interests of the club at heart and so will support them until they prove otherwise.
Red Carpet, You are right; We could go around this subject for ages. However, you failed to answer my question above. So, if they have the best interests of the club at heart, why did they go against the advice of Wenger and Dein over the Cole wages?

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

It hurts me to say this as I have joined in with cashley cole baiting with the best of them.....but I actually didn't think that £60k a week was too much to expect for him when you look at what some players are earning these days! Maybe this is just another example of Hill-Wood's lack of respect? It was a bit insulting to then offer him £55k. Like sticking the middle finger up. Well, got that off my chest. Where's those fake notes again....?

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Actually thats one thing PHW did that worked out well. We got rid of his wages and had Clichy who was a ready made replacement earning alot less.

Eboue Can't Defend

Chopper,

As you would expect, I don't agree.

So what you are saying is that for the sake of an extra £260,000 per year, you were willing to let go the best left back in the country (at the time); an Arsenal fan and touted as a future Captain, and one of the few English players in our first team?

It's easy to say now, after all that has happened with the secret Chelsea talks, his book etc., that letting Cole go was the right thing to do, but I bet you wasn't thinking that before he went to Chelsea!

And what if he had accepted the £55,000 per week offered and stayed at the club? Would you now be saying 'Let's sell him because we've got Clichy'? Or would we not be having a debate as to who should be the next Arsenal captain because he would have been the fans perfect candidate?

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

Can we not waste our time arguing over the money grabbing *word censored* Mr Tweedy!

Eboue Can't Defend

This argument isn't about Ashley Cole. It's about whether or not Peter Hill Wood and the current Board are doing what is right for Arsenal.

In using the Cole example, I was just refuting Red Carpet and Chopper's point that the Board had the club's best interest at heart and acted correctly in that decision. As I've already said, I think they are wrong.

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

Yes I know I just get angry when I hear his name!

I think the board are now out of date as far a running a football club goes!

We have to accept its business now! They seemed to realise that a while back(did we really buy Inamoto for his talent????) but now I think we are going backwards!

The Hill-Wood's of this world are dinosaurs and belong in a bygone era!