Mr Wenger

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

ECD, course I wanted him to stay but just trying to take positives out of the situation.

Besides if we had both, we could possibly have played 'he who should not be mentioned' on the left wing to give us more width.

U.F.G Anfield '89

Post by U.F.G Anfield '89 »

sorry, am i missing something here, do we have the CEO's of IBM, bechtel, shell and various other multinationals as members on our forum? That's the only reason i can think of that anyone would be talking about 5 grand as a pittance, it's not it's a shitload of money. that cashley considered it an insult to be earning 55 grand a week shows the kind greedy twat he is and the board would be quite right to tell anyone who acted in that way to go and fuck themselves "best leftback in the country" or not. the ammount that players earn is pretty distasteful to me, but i can at least stomach it if they realise how lucky they are, when they talk about 55 grand a week as being an insult then i want to puke my guts out preferably all over the ungrateful *word censored* in question.

ahhh my spleen is vented, murderous rage subsiding.

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

Spot on U F G!

The club done the right thing in my eyes and I dont believe for one minute that Wenger fought too hard to get Mr Tweedy to stay! Le Boss and Dein could have got him the other 5 grand if they really wanted too! He was greedy end of story! He was given a 100% pay rise and how did he treat us.........fucked off over west London to play footsie under the table with Jose!

Do you not think an intelligent man like Wenger may have seen a personality and dedication flaw there?

Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

U.F.G.

I just wrote a whole article out-lining where and why I disagree with you, but lost it in the system (again!) before submitting, so I will make this post brief as I've lost a bit of my anger:

Firstly, you don't have to be a CEO of a major company to know that £260,000 per year isn't a lot of money when you have turnover of £141 million per year!! :roll:

So £5,000 per week is a lot of money to the likes of you and me - what a shock!! The thing is, in the context of this business we call football, £5,000 is fuck all. Especially the difference between £55K and £60K when we are taking about retaining one of our top players. Didn't we learn anything from the Edu debacle?

Edu claimed that if the club had offered him at the beginning of negotiations what they offered at the end, he would have stayed. The club fucked up big time, especially as we then proceeded to sell Vieira and thus left ourselves short in midfield. Or was you happy to see him go because he was asking for 'obscene' wages, compared to what you and I earn?

It makes me laugh when fans complain about players being fickle. If it's not 'Wenger wanted to get rid of him anyway' or 'Arsene Knows', they try and console themselves by being negative and often spiteful about a player if, for whatever reason, he deems it necessary to leave our great club.

We had it with the 'oh, he was past it anyway' comments when Patrick Vieira and now Henry left; then it was fans claiming that Cole was a 'greedy *word censored*' for wanting that much - even though he was earning way below the other 'stars' in our team and David Dein had agreed to the rise; We even had the 'if it's good enough for Dennis, Pires should be happy with just 1 year extention' brigade.

Come on man, let's all join the real world. If you agree that Arsenal are supposed to be one of the 'big boys', and you want us to continue to play among the other 'big boys', then it's time we started acting like one by competing with our rivals.

Doe it meaning selling out to Kroenke? I don't really know. Can we do it under this current Board? The portents are not good if that is how they behave over £5,000 per week!!

U.F.G Anfield '89

If a guy works in a BP petrol station, he doesn't expect thousands a week because it's a tiny ammount in comparison to billions a year. if cole stayed he would have been a destabilising influence in the dressing room and possibly have done more harm than his defensive skills would have done good, especially with clichy waiting in the wings to replace him. the truth is that most players are not motivated by greed but by glory, Henry left not because he wasn't earning enough but he wants to win the champions league before he has to retire and sadly we don't look like doing that any time soon. that is where the board is failing, not with wages but with funds for signing. and with players like cole demanding bigger wages that would harm our transfer kitty. for example cole gets his extra 5 grand a week, and because he's a *word censored* encourages other players to do the same and let's say 4 do so, that's 20 grand a week goes into their pockets, that £1,040,000 a year going to players instead of transfer funds or day to day running of the club.

people like cole are killing football, and someone has to stand up to them. if they continue to demand more and more money while we are remotgaging our houses to pay for season tickets how long is it before fans start voting with their feet, Guess what, it's already started it's just a question of whether it keeps getting worse. it's all very well saying we are mere mortals and going on about supply and demand, but it's us mere mortals that make football so profitable, and the clubs alienate us at their own risk.

Eboue Can't Defend

U.F.G,

You normally write sense - okay, OCASSIONALLY write sense :wink: - but I can't make head or tail of your above argument. A BP petrol station worker doesn't expect thousands even though his company is earning billions? What the fudge are you talking about man!! :roll: You're comparison just doesn't make sense. For a start, BP would be unable to make money off that worker through merchandise sales and a transfer fee!!

It gets worse!! According to you, because Cole gets his £5,000, it automatically means he then goes on to encourage other players to ask for the same, thus disrupting the team! :? :? (By the way, wasn't it Vieira who told Cole he should be asking for £90K per week - and he was the club captain at the time!!! Yet Cole was asking for £60k.) :roll:

And then you say if he had got his pay rise, Cole would then have gone on to become a disruptive influence, and not maybe to be the next Arsenal captain, as most of us expected. Based on what?

And to top it all off, you claim that the money saved by this 'supposed' scenerio means that the club can reinvest in the team? Really? Haven't seen much of that.

Your last paragraph in essence, no-one could really disagree with, but to lump it all on Cole, because you were unhappy with how he left and want to absolve from blame the parsimonious Arsenal Board, is nothing short of hilarious. :lol: :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

I agree that the c*nt cole showed his true greedy colours by meeting with maureeno like he did and his conduct since that meeting but if he had not done any of that would we have supported his claim for that extra £5k per week ? As i stated he has shown himself to be a greedy c*nt and i will be the first to dish out stick but his wages are relative to the business he is in and not the layman's jobs or the turnover for the company he works for. I am one of the biggest critics of this board and would be delighted if they were removed in the morning (from the power decisions at least) and DD returned because their knowledge of all things football is limited. This board have no idea how bloody lucky they have been to have a manager in place for the last 11 years that has had the competing at the top level without spending a fortune and when he leaves us then this board will realise how much it costs financially in the modern football era to be at the top - as it is they are just outdated. Please can we avoid any c*ntly cole talk from here on in as i hate having to say anything even remotely positive about him and i need to go for a shower now to cleanse myself

Eboue Can't Defend

Augie,

Agreed. I also hate talking positively about Cole, but the facts have to be aired and the truth told. And the facts are that Peter Hill Wood was responsible for Cole leaving - against the advice of both Wenger and Dein - because he wanted to be 'Johnny Big Nuts'.

I used to enjoy the club's association with the 'old-school, Bank of England, part of the establishment' label. I thought it added a little extra class and style to the Arsenal. Yet I've now reluctantly come to the opinion that the sooner the old buffer retires, the better!

gus ceasar is a legend

Jesus Eboue we agree on something!

Like you I was proud of the old principles the club had and applied!

gus ceasar is a legend

Jesus Eboue we agree on something!

Like you I was proud of the old principles the club had and applied! was proud of the Bank of England tag too!

Somehow though times have changed and these pure morals do not apply to the modern world!

Time to face up to reality that when the Bank of USA comes calling its very hard for the Bank of England to say no!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I can see both sides of this argument. :shock:

The one thing I would comment on is Cashley's conduct. After he tried to hold the club to ransom to start with, let's not forget that the little b*stard then touted himself to chav$ki and held secret meetings with the RussianCriminal-avitch's play thing, Moron-hio, and the depraved pimp that is Kenyon. :twisted:

Cruntley Hole is a low life with no loyalty, no decency and no sense of gratitude. :evil:

U.F.G Anfield '89

ECD just read my own post and i agree that it is a bit, sorry, very poorly, but if it's any excuse i did have a very heavy night last night, and i think that it reflects well on me that at least the spelling and grammar were ok:lol::lol::lol:.

What i was trying to say is that football in general has become a joke in recent years, i wasn't seeking to heap all the blame on cuntley but rather state that he is symptomatic of a disease currently afflicting the game.

anyway i'm tired of talking about the ungrateful twat, let us never speak of him again.

Eboue Can't Defend

Agreed.

You know what, that's what I love about this forum. People are big enough to admit they may have been wrong and are willing to re-examine their arguments. You are indeed a big man, U.F.G!!

It reminds me a little of the story Brian Clough use to tell about disagreeing with his players: 'We would go into my office; talk about it for a few minutes, and then agree that I was right all along!!' :wink: :lol:

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Cloughie, now there was a legend.

He'd have given Cashley the extra £5k a week and forced him to give £10k to charity each week!

Eboue Can't Defend

Too fucking right, he would. And you know the end result? A win-win for everyone. The charity makes a raise; Cole stays and learns a valuable lesson in appreciating what he has got; Arsenal retain an English player and a future club captain, and best of all? I wouldn't have to spend so much fucking time writing on here every so often defending the little prick over how he was treated by the Board!! :oops: :x :lol: