Arsenal Anthem – the vote is on (2/7)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Herd

Once again the gooner fcuks it up !

Post by Herd »

What a choice I really cannot beleive you have done this,and in our name too ,what rubbish !

Bridge Over Troubled Water (Simon and Garfunkel
Can't Help Falling In Love With You (Elvis Presley)
Danny Boy (Traditional)
He.....Heavy.... My Brother (The Hollies)
I Only Have Eyes For You (Various)
Lean On Me (Bill Withers)
Somewhere Over The Rainbow (Judy Garland)
Stand By Me (Ben E King)
Streets of London (Ralph McTell)
The Impossible Dream (Andy Williams)

Couldnt we have had "none of the above" then you would see how deeply unpopular any of these tunes will be and why it will never
ever take off and you lot know it as well as I do.

Once again the Gooner leads the way in sucking up to the club and the idiots that run it and making us a laughing stock !

Well done you sad sad saps !

Should have tried "the sound of silence "!

PS
Rambo,who the fcuk are you to tell people what to do ?

Redsoph

Arsenal anthem

Post by Redsoph »

Surely the anthem should be Serious Drinking's Love on the Terraces?

rambo

Re: Once again the gooner fcuks it up !

Post by rambo »

Herd wrote:What a choice I really cannot beleive you have done this,and in our name too ,what rubbish !

Bridge Over Troubled Water (Simon and Garfunkel
Can't Help Falling In Love With You (Elvis Presley)
Danny Boy (Traditional)
He.....Heavy.... My Brother (The Hollies)
I Only Have Eyes For You (Various)
Lean On Me (Bill Withers)
Somewhere Over The Rainbow (Judy Garland)
Stand By Me (Ben E King)
Streets of London (Ralph McTell)
The Impossible Dream (Andy Williams)

Couldnt we have had "none of the above" then you would see how deeply unpopular any of these tunes will be and why it will never
ever take off and you lot know it as well as I do.

Once again the Gooner leads the way in sucking up to the club and the idiots that run it and making us a laughing stock !

Should have tried "the sound of silence "!

PS
Rambo,who the fcuk are you to tell people what to do ?
Shut it you negative bastard.

On another note, I regret not putting forward Josh Groban - you raise me up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBga34W57As

Would have been good to put that in the poll.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rambo wrote:
Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:Eboue...

I agree with a lot of your points on this and you make your arguements well. I would also rather we as Gooners adopted a song on our own terms. I have to admit i was initially in favour of this idea until i found out it was the club who approached the fans about it, rather than it being our own initiative.

My worry is that whereas the likes of Liverpool and WHU's anthems (and yes i am sick of hearing/talking about Liverpool's so-called "amazing" fans as well) were in all likelihood adopted by the fans first for whatever reason and then the club began playing the songs as a pre-match ritual after a history/tradition of the fans singing the given song had been established, this initiative by Arsenal seems to be in the opposite (and in my opinion, wrong) order!

If the club tries to force a song/anthem on the fans (even one that most fans agree on) before any tradition of singing it has been established then the whole initiative will become a laughing stock when nobody joins in to sing, and once that stigma has been attached to the whole anthem idea the chances of it taking off are about as slim as a Peter Crouch/Amy Winehouse love child. And what a beautiful thought that is!

My only hope in that scenario would be that in response, us Gooners might make a concerted effort during matches to be more vocal with our own songs and chants - something which i personally feel quite passionate about.

I would prefer if this was an initiative between the likes of RedAction, the Away Boyz and any and all other active Arsenal supporters groups (without the club's involvement initially) so we can build up a traditional song/anthem more organically. I cringe everytime i see Chavski waving their shitey flags at european matches... it all looks as staged and propoganda-ish as one of those Nazi rallies in Germany before the war. Please let's not go down the same soulless road as those bastards in blue!

I am very much in favour of an anthemic song (one that's unique to Arsenal) for us all to sing, i just think if it's our song it should be on our terms!

I dont agree with you ECD though on the point that some of the songs listed wouldnt make good football songs due to issues over the lyrics, etc. Surely some of those songs with lyrics adapted to suit Arsenal would sound at least quite good. For example (and purely as an example), i'm not sure about Danny Boy melodically but lyrically if went something like this it would at least have some relevance (original version in italic, Arsenal version in bold...obviously):

Oh Danny Boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountainside
The summer's gone, and all the leaves are falling
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide.

Oh Gooner Boys, i hear your greatness calling
From Highbury, to Europe and beyond
You can stand tall, cos even when you’re falling
We’ll pick you up, and come back twice as strong

But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow
For I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow.
Oh Danny Boy, oh Danny Boy, I love you so.

In red and white, or on the road in yellow
We’ll follow you, wherever you may go
We will be here, in sunshine or in shadow
Oh Gooner boys, Gooner boys, we love you so.
No chance.

One thing we said from the beginning was that we were not going to change the lyrics because it looks unprofessional, imagine Liverpool changing 'walk on, walk on' to 'Gerrard, Gerrard', that would be ridiculous.

The list has been made, stop putting the thread down and get on with voting. If you have already voted, shut the feck up. End of. I'm sick and tired of the negativity.
I have no problem with us changing the lyrics to make a song more "ours". I posted my version of Danny Boy on here weeks ago but all you little monkey's seemed to have ignored it... It wasn't that bad!! :?

Here it is again...

To the tune of Danny Boy.

Oh Gooner boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From High-bury, and down through Islington
The season's gone, but Gooners are still singing
'Tis you, 'tis you must sing and we will win.

But come ye back with Arsenal in your hearts
When summer's over and season starts
'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
Oh Gooner boy, oh Gooner boy, The Arsenal.

And if you come, when all the flags are flying
And I am red, and white as I can be
You'll come and find the place where I am singing
And chant and sing Arsenal for me.

And I shall cheer, with Arsenal all around me
And all my dreams will warm and sweeter be
And we'll all sing to tell you that we love you
Oh Arsen-al, a Gooner I’ll always be.
Oh Arsen-al, a Gooner I’ll always be.

I personally like it! But then I would!! :wink: :roll:

Now Rambo, be nice to the others on here... :wink:

Ben-gooner14

Post by Ben-gooner14 »

I think what people are trying to say though is that the anthem should not have anything to do with the club and should be an old popular song from earlier years that everyone can sing along to.

gooner.ed
Site Admin

Re: Arsenal anthem

Post by gooner.ed »

Redsoph wrote:Surely the anthem should be Serious Drinking's Love on the Terraces?

if this is who i think it is... hi sophie. how is your other half? probably hoping for some performing rights royalties if it's chosen and played over the PA 25 times a year! :lol:

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Herd wrote:Once again the Gooner leads the way in sucking up to the club and the idiots that run it and making us a laughing stock !
This is a free country. If you don't want to sing it then don't. But please ask yourself, are Liverpool fans a tad embarrassed that their anthem came from a dodgy musical? Are Sheff Utd fans a laughing stock because they sing a naff song (albeit that its one of my favourites!) written by a bloke who ran out of petrol....in a plane. Or what about West Ham fans singing....wait for it....I'm for ever blowing bubbles - what the fuck is that all about! Who is bubbles anyway?

The point is that this idea wasn't started by the club. Its just that they seem to support it. There is so little these days that they do support that we might as well accept this small offering as something positive!

gooner.ed
Site Admin

Post by gooner.ed »

Herd wrote: Once again the Gooner leads the way in sucking up to the club and the idiots that run it and making us a laughing stock !

eh? so give me an example of a previous instance of 'sucking up' to the club.

N22Gooner

Post by N22Gooner »

MK Gould wrote:
Herd wrote:Once again the Gooner leads the way in sucking up to the club and the idiots that run it and making us a laughing stock !
This is a free country. If you don't want to sing it then don't. But please ask yourself, are Liverpool fans a tad embarrassed that their anthem came from a dodgy musical? Are Sheff Utd fans a laughing stock because they sing a naff song (albeit that its one of my favourites!) written by a bloke who ran out of petrol....in a plane. Or what about West Ham fans singing....wait for it....I'm for ever blowing bubbles - what the fuck is that all about! Who is bubbles anyway?

The point is that this idea wasn't started by the club. Its just that they seem to support it. There is so little these days that they do support that we might as well accept this small offering as something positive!
I always thought that 'Bubbles' was a song about giving heads to greeks..

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

N22Gooner wrote:I always thought that 'Bubbles' was a song about giving heads to greeks..
Nice one:-)

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

Wasn't "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" originally a Michael Jackson song from back when he had that pet monkey?

N22Gooner

Post by N22Gooner »

Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:Wasn't "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" originally a Michael Jackson song from back when he had that pet monkey?
I heard that the chimp got taken to a special home for monkeys because it had been sexually abused by the one and only MJ.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Shut it you negative bastard.

On another note, I regret not putting forward Josh Groban - you raise me up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBga34W57As

Would have been good to put that in the poll.[/quote]

Rambo im sure your a really tough guy shouting insults at me from behind your keyboard but if u really want to shut me up an appointment can be made at your earliest convenience.

MK I take you point fella but the choice of songs on here is rank,and will end in humilaition and failure,I know it and everyone else knows it so I think we should be spared from it.
The fundamental problem with singing and atmosphere is the Fans themselves, Jeremy, Julian, Tamara, just won't sing so unless we change the make up of the fans themselves you won't get a better atmosphere no matter how hard you or red action try.

Ed I havent got all day but the gooner has been cosying up to the club for longer than i can remember.

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

N22Gooner Wrote:
Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:
Wasn't "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" originally a Michael Jackson song from back when he had that pet monkey?

I heard that the chimp got taken to a special home for monkeys because it had been sexually abused by the one and only MJ.
Either that it or it escaped back to the wild and grew up to be our very own Monkey Man Martin Keown!

To the tune of Children of the Revolution by T-Rex:

Martin Keee-own, he never heard of evolution
Martin Keeo-own, he never heard of evolution

Sorry, couldnt resist re-posting another annoying song of mine. :oops:

I Hate Hleb

HLEB GOES APE-SHIT?

Post by I Hate Hleb »

IT'S UP 4 GRABS NOW,

FANTASTIC ADAPTATION!!

HOWEVER, IT'S NO GOOD NOW. WHERE WAS THAT CHANT WHEN THE APE THAT WE KNOW AS MARTIN KEOWN WAS PLAYING? :? :wink: