Carol Thatcher and the 'Golliwog'/'Gollifrog' incident

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Cus Geezer

Carol Thatcher and the 'Golliwog'/'Gollifrog' incident

Post by Cus Geezer »

Just wondering about this, Prince Harry and the infamous incident involving a recent cancer sufferer from Bermondsey who moved to Essex two years ago.

why is there no death threats for Carol Thatcher like there was for Jade, but 800 complaints of her sacking?

Why did Gordon Brown condemn Jade Goody and state that her calling of Shilpa Shetty as 'Shilpa Poppadom' had effected Britain's image as a "country of fairness and tolerance", yet when the 3rd in line to the throne refers to an Asian as 'our Paki friend' he calls him a 'role model' and that the public would forgive him.

Treasury minister Ed Balls said of the Jade Goody incident that he was "ashamed" and added: "The image it projects of Britain around the world is appalling." Ed was surprisingly mute on the Prince Harry incident though.

I'd also like to know if Prince Charles's polo playing Indian friend would mind if someone from Essex 'affectionately' called him 'sooty', like the future king of England did?

Why was a formal complaint made from the Indian foreign minister Anand Sharm about the Jade Goody incident with fears that the incident could sour relations and damage trade, yet the same Indian foreign minister stayed mute about Harry. As did the Pakistan foreign minister, as did the Afghan foreign minister despite referring to 'ragheads'.

I'd like to know why the same condemnation for outbursts of racism from the working classes are not reciprocated from those among the classes which instigated colonialism in the first place?

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

i'll think you will find Carol Thatcher has received death threats go to teletext page 130

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Why were there people like George Galloway and Annie Lennox on marches against Israeli military action in Gaza, yet not a pip from them as the Sri Lankan army attacks the Tamils, and many civilians die?

Did not see Galloway protesting against Darfur...where Muslim militias use murder, rape and slavery as weapons of war against non Muslim Sudanese civilians.

Or as massacres continue in the Congo and Uganda?

Or as millions are in concentration camps in North Korea, where entire families are gassed for alleged sedition?

Why did 10,000 people not march to ask the Uk government to get Mugabe out of power, yet seemed terribly offended that the UK might want to remove a bloodthirsty and corrupt dictator like Sadam Hussein?

People latch onto trendy causes and get attacks of self righteous indignation as a way of making themselves feel special, but need to look at themselves and what they really consistently stand for.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

QuartzGooner wrote: Why did 10,000 people not march to ask the Uk government to get Mugabe out of power, yet seemed terribly offended that the UK might want to remove a bloodthirsty and corrupt dictator like Sadam Hussein?
People marched to try and stop an illegal war that would result in the killing of tens of thousands of people - not because they were offended that the UK might want to remove Hussein.

As I understand, Hussein was propped up with the help of the US government in the 80's. Please tell me you don't believe that they could not have taken care of this man without an invasion. The invasion gives the US an added bonus of another military base in the region, which will remain as it does in all countries after war (inc the UK). Might be interesting to see a list of exactly how many and where the US have bases accross the world. I am not bashing the US just stating the fact that establishing military bases in strategic postions is always in military thinking.

People were protesting against something in the case of Iraq - which is quite normal as opposed to demonstrating for an invasion of Zimbabwe to remove Mugabe.

And it's not unusual for people to dedicate themselves to single issues because of certain experiences - although Galloway I would not defend as his positions are contradictory and inflammatory at best.

skipper

Post by skipper »

QuartzGooner wrote:Why were there people like George Galloway and Annie Lennox on marches against Israeli military action in Gaza, yet not a pip from them as the Sri Lankan army attacks the Tamils, and many civilians die?

Did not see Galloway protesting against Darfur...where Muslim militias use murder, rape and slavery as weapons of war against non Muslim Sudanese civilians.

Or as massacres continue in the Congo and Uganda?

Or as millions are in concentration camps in North Korea, where entire families are gassed for alleged sedition?

Why did 10,000 people not march to ask the Uk government to get Mugabe out of power, yet seemed terribly offended that the UK might want to remove a bloodthirsty and corrupt dictator like Sadam Hussein?

People latch onto trendy causes and get attacks of self righteous indignation as a way of making themselves feel special, but need to look at themselves and what they really consistently stand for.
Had a little chat with G*d again, have you? :shock:

Cus asked perfectly reasonable questions, yet you decided to try to turn this into another anti-semitic thread!?

Cus.. the answer is: UK is a class society and working class is there to be spat on.

PS/ Quartz, how do you feel about Prince harry wearing nazi uniform?

Childish mistake or pretentious upper class upbringing? Or german genes?...or...

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

I dont see the need for threads like this on a football forum it only causes arguments as no one will change their view, a view backed up by above quote from Skipper about chatting to g*d

skipper

Post by skipper »

Galasso wrote:
QuartzGooner wrote: Why did 10,000 people not march to ask the Uk government to get Mugabe out of power, yet seemed terribly offended that the UK might want to remove a bloodthirsty and corrupt dictator like Sadam Hussein?
People marched to try and stop an illegal war that would result in the killing of tens of thousands of people - not because they were offended that the UK might want to remove Hussein.

As I understand, Hussein was propped up with the help of the US government in the 80's. Please tell me you don't believe that they could not have taken care of this man without an invasion. The invasion gives the US an added bonus of another military base in the region, which will remain as it does in all countries after war (inc the UK). Might be interesting to see a list of exactly how many and where the US have bases accross the world. I am not bashing the US just stating the fact that establishing military bases in strategic postions is always in military thinking.

People were protesting against something in the case of Iraq - which is quite normal as opposed to demonstrating for an invasion of Zimbabwe to remove Mugabe.

And it's not unusual for people to dedicate themselves to single issues because of certain experiences - although Galloway I would not defend as his positions are contradictory and inflammatory at best.
until 2003

http://www.globalpolicy.org/empire/inte ... /index.htm

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

This thread is always going to be contentious, you are right there Flash!

Skipper, I have every right to draw any analogy I want to from Cus' starter.

It al boils down to hypocrisy.

How did I feel about Prince Harry's uniform..felt he was an idiot and very badly advised.

skipper

Post by skipper »

QuartzGooner wrote:This thread is always going to be contentious, you are right there Flash!

Skipper, I have every right to draw any analogy I want to from Cus' starter.

It al boils down to hypocrisy.

How did I feel about Prince Harry's uniform..felt he was an idiot and very badly advised.
Badly advised? It was a fancy dress party ffs!!! (colonials & natives I belive)...does the c**t need an advisor for that? Don't think so...I think he thought it would be funny...

So, is he an anti-semite or not?

Reason I'm asking is that i've been labeled anti-semite on this very forum for daring to get upset about Israel's murderous and criminal behaviour in Gaza, yet Harry seems to be 'badly advised' about wearing Nazi uniform at some posh wankers upper class party!?

It all boils down to hypocrisy as you rightly pointed out...

As I've said before, working class is there is to be spat on...

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

I have no idea if Prince Harry is an anti Semite, though I know someone Jewish who worked with him and he never made any remarks to them.

"Badly advised" is a phrase I would use. He was a teenager, and teenagers do daft things.

Wearing the uniform was wrong, but it does not mean that he is a Nazi...but it does mean he acted like a prat and the idea behidn the party is well out of touch with how most people act.

The working class?

They do their fair share of spitting on people too.

BTW, you talk about Israel in Gaza, yet the Institute of Strategic studies report on the conflict found Israel not guilty of any war crimes whatsoever, yet has identified Hamas as using children for human shields.

Simon

Post by Simon »

skipper wrote:

Reason I'm asking is that i've been labeled anti-semite on this very forum for daring to get upset about Israel's murderous and criminal behaviour in Gaza, yet Harry seems to be 'badly advised' about wearing Nazi uniform at some posh wankers upper class party!?

Skipper
you previously outed yourself as a racist and an antisemite not by criticising the policies of the Israeli Government or the actions of its army but by your use of paranoid Jewish conspiracy theories, your comparison of Jewish members of this forum with Nazis and your repeated refusal (despite many requests for clarification from you) to condemn or see any problem whatsoever with the murder of civilians, including babies, who were deliberately targetted by terrorists just because they were born Jewish.

I hardly think you're the expert in race relations here, but for the record racism is deplorable whichever class it emanates from (whatever "class" is supposed to mean these days).
Last edited by Simon on Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

flash gunner wrote:I dont see the need for threads like this on a football forum it only causes arguments as no one will change their view, a view backed up by above quote from Skipper about chatting to g*d
Except it isn't a football forum, this is the basement.

The football forum is under the one marked "Arsenal chat", this as stated is "Anything non-football or Arsenal related".

I love it how people complain about the subject matter but open the thread nonetheless despite it being clearly marked in the title.

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

QuartzGooner wrote:The working class?

They do their fair share of spitting on people too.
Yes and when they do they are widely condemned.

As I said on the opening thread - I'd like to know why the same condemnation for outbursts of racism from the working classes are not reciprocated from those among the classes which instigated colonialism in the first place?.

Has there been a form of working class spitting on others that has involved carving up Africa or owning slave plantations in the New World?
Last edited by Cus Geezer on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

QuartzGooner wrote: BTW, you talk about Israel in Gaza, yet the Institute of Strategic studies report on the conflict found Israel not guilty of any war crimes whatsoever, yet has identified Hamas as using children for human shields.
Do you have a link to this and to the organisation? Thanks in advance.

Would like to determine the credibility based upon this information rather than sweeping dismissals of respected independently minded press and independent global support organisations.

skipper

Post by skipper »

Simon wrote:
skipper wrote:

Skipper
you previously outed yourself as a racist and an antisemite not by criticising the policies of the Israeli Government or the actions of its army but by your use of paranoid Jewish conspiracy theories, your comparison of Jewish members of this forum with Nazis and your repeated refusal (despite many requests for clarification from you) to condemn or see any problem whatsoever with the murder of civilians, including babies, who were deliberately targetted by terrorists just because they were born Jewish.

I hardly think you're the expert in race relations here, but for the record racism is deplorable whichever class it emanates from (whatever "class" is supposed to mean these days).
I never called you Nazi, but I'll tell you who was a Nazi: A guy who said "100 times repeated lie becomes truth"...by my count you've got another 96 times to repeat lie in bold...and no abusive PMs this time around, Simon, please...

Quartz...so guy wears an uniform that's responsible for death of millios of Jews in WW2...and you're not sure if he's anti-semite or not???

Says it all really...