Guitarist's Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
OneBardGooner

Re: Guitarist's Thread

Post by OneBardGooner »

No mate it's Steel Strung; You'd know more about this design stuff than me but apparently Bob (Taylor) and his main Luthier / Designer (Andy Powers?) have done interviews at all the big guitar conventions (some on You Tube) and said that the short scale neck (12 frets) allows for the 'Tension' of the strings to be reduced and so the playability of the instrument is made much easier with the action being reduced / lowered. But to also enable the instrument to keep its Full Range across the sound spectrum they moved the bridge further back and used a different strut design inside the body.

My main style is Finger Picking so Yes you are right about the way the sound of the guitar lends itself to (almost) like classical playing style / technique.

Have to say they do sound Feckin' A-Maazing!. 8)

This is a demo of the 322 (The predecessor to the 522) The 522 Is more 'Subtle' in its sound, some might say 'Softer' but when amplified - WOWSA! Really "Rich & Deep'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWGKn-6gcY4

Short interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWGKn-6gcY4

EDIT: Just Done My Bollocks on One of these Beauties! :-P :oops: :oops: :oops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3nniEeWpB8

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

So bit of a strange question but anyhow

im not guitar player, but i do guitar gear and i hack my way along......probably more a liker of guitar gear than a guitar player

Has any one any xp of electrical interference in amplifiers?

The reason i ask is i have a big amp and a small amp, the small amp is a little baby VOX and the big amp is a VOX AC15

The big amp has a very annoying buzz in my house, its not the amp....its been back to the shop and plugged in and its fine.

Its something in or around my house, the small amp doesnt pick it up.

Is it possible (and this is where i havent a clue) is it possible that the bigger an amp is the more potential to pickup a near by electrical signal?

I do have mp3 files of recording of "the noise" if anyones got the interest in having a listen

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xgtdec wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:09 pm

im not guitar player, but i do guitar gear and i hack my way along......probably more a liker of guitar gear than a guitar player

The reason i ask is i have a big amp and a small amp, the small amp is a little baby VOX and the big amp is a VOX AC15

The big amp has a very annoying buzz in my house, its not the amp....its been back to the shop and plugged in and its fine.

Is it possible (and this is where i havent a clue) is it possible that the bigger an amp is the more potential to pickup a near by electrical signal?

I do have mp3 files of recording of "the noise" if anyones got the interest in having a listen
Hi mate, first thing I'd check is if your guitar\s are shielded. The inner cavity can generate hum from the pickups. So a lot of guitars are sold shielded - the interior cavities are covered with silver or copper foil tape or paint to shield it from electromagnetic interference (EMI). Some aren't sold shielded so I have shielded all of mine. It's really easy, lots of instructional videos on the yootoobs! :wink:

Not sure about an amp picking up and broadcasting external signals but it could be a loose speaker in the amp vibrating and creating hum? Amps aren't really my area tbh, and nowadays I play mostly through a Positive Grid Spark amp through a Samsung tablet into Garageband on my MacBook Pro.

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:19 pm
xgtdec wrote:

Hi mate, first thing I'd check is if your guitar\s are shielded. The inner cavity can generate hum from the pickups. So a lot of guitars are sold shielded - the interior cavities are covered with silver or copper foil tape or paint to shield it from electromagnetic interference (EMI). Some aren't sold shielded so I have shielded all of mine. It's really easy, lots of instructional videos on the yootoobs! :wink:

Not sure about an amp picking up and broadcasting external signals but it could be a loose speaker in the amp vibrating and creating hum? Amps aren't really my area tbh, and nowadays I play mostly through a Positive Grid Spark amp through a Samsung tablet into Garageband on my MacBook Pro.
The grid spark kinda sounds and looks like what an aul hacker like me should have but doesnt. I ruled out the shielding cause on the small amp and on a pair of earphones with a large jack theres no humm. Ive isolated my pedal board and nothings causing it there. I even invested in a gatekeeper pedal it was annoying me so much. i mainly play a gretch electromatic that got a pro setup and ive a strat ultra i bought on impulse and i havent the heart to get rid of it.

I might sell up the big amp and invest in the spark......im blaming the ESB and the transformer on the entrance to my estate...im convinced of it!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xgtdec wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:35 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
xgtdec wrote:

The grid spark kinda sounds and looks like what an aul hacker like me should have but doesnt. I ruled out the shielding cause on the small amp and on a pair of earphones with a large jack theres no humm. Ive isolated my pedal board and nothings causing it there. I even invested in a gatekeeper pedal it was annoying me so much. i mainly play a gretch electromatic that got a pro setup and ive a strat ultra i bought on impulse and i havent the heart to get rid of it.

I might sell up the big amp and invest in the spark......im blaming the ESB and the transformer on the entrance to my estate...im convinced of it!
Haha could be!

I cannot recommend the Spark amp enough. It is superb. There's an App you download onto your phone or tablet and it's literally hundreds maybe thousands of tones through amp and pedal sims at your fingertips. You can even download a few tones from the cloud and save them into the amps hardwire settings and use them without the App. I lose hours going through all the amp and pedal combos. :lol:

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:59 pm
xgtdec wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
xgtdec wrote:

Haha could be!

I cannot recommend the Spark amp enough. It is superb. There's an App you download onto your phone or tablet and it's literally hundreds maybe thousands of tones through amp and pedal sims at your fingertips. You can even download a few tones from the cloud and save them into the amps hardwire settings and use them without the App. I lose hours going through all the amp and pedal combos. :lol:
Is there a subscription based thing waiting as a sting or just buy the amp and your good to go......i had a quick look at the website but it didnt make it too clear

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xgtdec wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:14 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:59 pm
xgtdec wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
xgtdec wrote:

Haha could be!

Is there a subscription based thing waiting as a sting or just buy the amp and your good to go......i had a quick look at the website but it didnt make it too clear
Nope, just buy the amp and register and you are good to go. Everything is included, no subscriptions. They also sell alot of guitar software packages so you can buy just the software and install it in your pc if you don't want the amp.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I stayed well away from this as I'm a fuck-up when it comes to Gear and Electrics and Stuff...

Besides I knew DB would Know. :D

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Vox AC amps are famous for being noisy, they don't have much treble filtering nor negative feedback loops in the circuit like Fenders & Marshalls do. :mrgreen:

Have you tried swapping out the valves one by one to find the culprit, could be the mains IEC cable, try another one.

I had an old AC30 when you adjusted the controls sometimes there would more or less hiss at different settings! :barscarf:

If you don't notice it in a band with drums & bass making a racket, then it's all right. :rubchin:

If it's a problem for gigs, it might have a grounding issue somewhere n the circuit, if so get it serviced! 8)

Also BTW One Bard Gooner's Taylor geetar is cool! 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:19 am
Vox AC amps are famous for being noisy, they don't have much treble filtering nor negative feedback loops in the circuit like Fenders & Marshalls do. :mrgreen:

Have you tried swapping out the valves one by one to find the culprit, could be the mains IEC cable, try another one.

I had an old AC30 when you adjusted the controls sometimes there would more or less hiss at different settings! :barscarf:

If you don't notice it in a band with drums & bass making a racket, then it's all right. :rubchin:

If it's a problem for gigs, it might have a grounding issue somewhere n the circuit, if so get it serviced! 8)

:cheers: Mate ... I just felt I deserved a "treat" after being unwell.... :D :oops: And thought "Fuck It" We Only Live Once... Except for Buddhists that is :wink:

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

:D listen to this...im one step away from sticking a fork into a socket and yer askin me to swap out valves :D

i mean i have a much much smaller vox amp that does a job, im just disappointment now that the spark amp could make my effects board redundant.......

If only i invested as much time into practice as i do into gear i'd be way way better at this stuff

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

The important thing is as long as you enjoy playing - whatever it might be - THAT is the Important thing..

The "Buzz" from playing, regardless of technique, Level etc etc - Yes they do come into it... as the better we can play the more intricate / difficult tunes can be played and enjoyed... But even now I'll go back to things I learnt when I first started playing:

Heart Of Gold by Neil Young

And You Nad I by Yes

Whole of The Moon by The Waterboys

Just to play and sing (cough! Ccugh! :oops: ) them... is such a Joy!. :dance:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xgtdec wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:56 pm

:D listen to this...im one step away from sticking a fork into a socket and yer askin me to swap out valves :D

i mean i have a much much smaller vox amp that does a job, im just disappointment now that the spark amp could make my effects board redundant.......

If only i invested as much time into practice as i do into gear i'd be way way better at this stuff
Haha I know that for a fact dude. I've got a cabinet full of effects pedals now lying redundant but I can't bring myself to sell them. Also I've had a BOSS ME-10 and BOSS GT-100 multifx over the years and sold the 10 to buy the 100 and sold the 100 to buy the Spark. Both those BOSS multifx boards were superb - but for quantity and quality of tones and ease of use the Spark beat both hands down. 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:12 pm
The important thing is as long as you enjoy playing - whatever it might be - THAT is the Important thing..

The "Buzz" from playing, regardless of technique, Level etc etc - Yes they do come into it... as the better we can play the more intricate / difficult tunes can be played and enjoyed... But even now I'll go back to things I learnt when I first started playing:

Heart Of Gold by Neil Young

And You Nad I by Yes

Whole of The Moon by The Waterboys

Just to play and sing (cough! Ccugh! :oops: ) them... is such a Joy!. :dance:
So true. Over the years I got big time into playing the more technical shred stuff like Jason Becker, Malmsteen, and Satriani and especially the 80s stuff by EVH and Randy Rhoads and have written some very technical shred instrumental pieces (because I have the singing voice of a dog being strangled) but sometimes I love to just plug in and turn the bastard up loud and just crank out an old iconic riff like "Paranoid" by Sabbath or "You shook me all night long" by AC/DC. Really simple stuff but they still make the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. 8)

Other times I love to just pick away at something mellow like Neil Young or CSN&Y or the Stones.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

xgtdec wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:56 pm

Valve amps are old school technology so need be maintained, even the new ones, plus the modern valves made in China are often unreliable & noisy & don't sound as good. Compared to old school GB & USA or Euro ones which are rare & expensive.

You can use old soviet valves which are also decent but Ukraine - Russia war has made those prices go up.

If you're not doing regular gigs or recording, a amp like the AC15 is probably not needed for home playing. Maybe you should get it properly serviced so it's working 100% & then see how it sounds!
:barscarf: