Guitarist's Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
xgtdec

Re: Guitarist's Thread

Post by xgtdec »

I sold on that vox amp and ordered a spark, i told the buyer straight up the problem i had with it and i committed to dropping out to his place to let him hear it first.

Of course wouldnt you know it....plugs it in and nothing but pure vox tone coming out of the thing, i was disgusted :)

Anyway, that lad got a great new amp cheaper than new and i got a spark which hopefully wont have the same issues.

If the spark works out...eh...anyone need any pedals :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I've Just Sussed What The Problem is errr I mean Was!

It's YOU!

Your Very Presence Upsets VOX Amps!

No Offence Or Anything But It's Bleeding Obvious !

C'est La Vie Eh!?
:roll:

Oh! Welllllll!. :?

:wink:

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:09 pm

It's YOU!

C'est La Vie Eh!?

no argument here

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xgtdec wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:19 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:09 pm

It's YOU!

C'est La Vie Eh!?

no argument here
:lol:

Doesn't matter man. Once you play and you enjoy it, that's all that matters. 8)

I had an awakening moment a few years back in a guitar shop. Not bragging or bullshitting, I can shred, I can play Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Malmsteen and Steve Vai. I can do all the advanced techniques like legato, sweep picking, alternate picking, tapping. No boasting, it took decades of practice to get to that level and almost anyone can get there if they put the time in tbh.

Anyway I was trying out a guitar in this shop and I was putting on a bit of a show, had the shop owner, the staff and a bunch of customers around watching me and I was showing off and having fun.... and then this fucking little bastard 14 year old kid asked could he try the guitar and I very patronisingly handed it over to him and smugly asked was he comfortable with the level of gain I had dialled in and he said yep and then the little bollocks completely outplayed me. Blew me away. This kid was on a different level. He was magical. At 14 fucking years old. I was shit at his age. And now all these decades later this kid was better than me by a long shot.

So there is always gonna be someone better, or at a more advanced stage, and that moment made me think a lot about what I wanted from the instrument. In my teens and twenties, I genuinely wanted to be the next Eddie Van Halen, the next Hendrix, the next Malmsteen, I wanted to be the best there was. But I never will be and I am now comfortable with that. I enjoy what I play, I enjoy trying to keep getting better, but mostly now I just love playing.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I know.... Some these Young (and I do mean "Young") kids these days are un-friggin-believable, doing 'Eruption' by EVH at their school end of year concert and the guitar is as big as them!

Last Summer when things had begun to relax around the Covid restrictions, there was a youngster busking in the City Centre; nothing unusual in that you 'd probably say and most times they're okay but in the category of "Not Gonna Make It".... I walked past this "kid" and he was just setting up his gear...half-hour later on my way back he's stood there playing his Acoustic (A Taylor 6 String) and he's playing percussion-style-guitar with hammer on's, tapping and all that stuff that those players from the Candy Rat Label do... He was like a one man band.... using FX and a Looper....So I stop to watch and listen, he is going literally from one song into another for about half an hour Including an acoustic (But Jimi Hendrix / Michael Hedges style) version of "All Along The Watchtower" and he totally aced it...He then went into' his own rendition of 'Classical Gas' - A song I have long liked and half-attempted to play... and he just nailed it...

When he stopped I walked over and told him that I really enjoyed what he'd played ..and put a £5 in his Hat on the ground.

He Thanked me and we got talking "Guitars" ... It turns out he is only 15yrs of age! I mean FFS! And he was starting his A levels in September (prep for Uni in 2 years time) So I asked him if he wanted to study Music etc And he said "Naaa I'm going to study Accountancy - "I'm doing this for spare change and because I like it!"...

BUT it turns out his father has promised him if IF he gets a 1st at Uni - He was going to buy him a Lowden (6 string acoustic)....That's £3 - 4k's worth of guitar, even their basic models.

I haven't seen him since but something tells me he WILL become a musician proper in the future, he was just Too Good not too (at least I hope).

ps(Edit) Almost forgot - Totally Agree about "Just Enjoy Playing etc" - Get in from work or after a difficult day on the planet - Sit Down start strumming and picking and suddenly 2 hours have flown by my Supper's gone cold after being called to "come and eat!!!" 4 times... I just go into my own world and the best bit is "Experimenting" or what my daughter calls "Noodling"... and once I plug in my T-Rex Soulmate etc - That's it I'm done for the rest of the afternoon / Evening... :D

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

Good call on the spark amp, i have to say..what you get for 300 quid is nothing short of impressive!!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Sounds great mate, glad you've sorted things out! :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xgtdec wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:05 pm
Good call on the spark amp, i have to say..what you get for 300 quid is nothing short of impressive!!
It's incredible isn't it. Have you tried the Smart Jam backing tracks yet? Pick a key, a style and boom there's drums and bass playing a riff for you to jam to, or even drums bass rhythm guitar to solo over. It's just an immense all in one package. 8)

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:08 pm
xgtdec wrote:
It's incredible isn't it. Have you tried the Smart Jam backing tracks yet? Pick a key, a style and boom there's drums and bass playing a riff for you to jam to, or even drums bass rhythm guitar to solo over. It's just an immense all in one package. 8)
oh ive looked at it, theres like the you tube search one, and then the one where you pick a digital player, play them something and then they come up with a track for you.....well...even the digital players realize im shite :barscarf:

I mean what does my nut in about music and specifically learning to play...is the sheer amount of versions of things that exist.....

to clarify my point...im using yousician to try and learn.....and at the moment looking at 5ths, but what they say is b5 and then an f5 you go and learn, and then online you come across a chord chart where the 5ths are either one string more than your playing, or in a lot of cases one string less.

i realize the sense that make = none but i got in outta my system :)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xgtdec wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:31 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:08 pm
xgtdec wrote:
oh ive looked at it, theres like the you tube search one, and then the one where you pick a digital player, play them something and then they come up with a track for you.....well...even the digital players realize im shite :barscarf:

I mean what does my nut in about music and specifically learning to play...is the sheer amount of versions of things that exist.....

to clarify my point...im using yousician to try and learn.....and at the moment looking at 5ths, but what they say is b5 and then an f5 you go and learn, and then online you come across a chord chart where the 5ths are either one string more than your playing, or in a lot of cases one string less.

i realize the sense that make = none but i got in outta my system :)
Oh I know man. We all went through it at some stage. :lol: :wink:

I found the best way to learn initially was to learn a song and the chords needed to play that song. You'll quickly build up a repertoire of songs and chords. And by playing songs instead of just rote chords while you practise you'll avoid getting bored or bogged down on one chord that might be a bastard to play early on.

But it really is a case of you will get out of it what you put in. I was hooked on it from the beginning. I've literally back in the day lost girlfriends because of first guitar practice and then later band practice! :oops: :lol:

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

yeah im beginning to think self learning may not be all its cracked up to be.......someone is needed whose tread the path, knows the pitfalls and can help navigate them. i may well look locally for a tutor to guide the way

in the meantime D/F# can go fook itself....my little finger dont take orders from no one!!!!!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xgtdec wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:11 pm
yeah im beginning to think self learning may not be all its cracked up to be.......someone is needed whose tread the path, knows the pitfalls and can help navigate them. i may well look locally for a tutor to guide the way

in the meantime D/F# can go fook itself....my little finger dont take orders from no one!!!!!
:lol: :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

A nice video for any Yes Fans / Bass Players... The One The Only Chris Squire....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTpr40D9k3A

R.I.P Chris. :hail:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

If You Like Ozzy you HAVE TO See This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1y0QvJCVZc

:lol: