Bendtner; The Leg-end

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

I hope SAFCFTM enjoys bendy more than us, I can safely say I don't want the *word censored* back! :barscarf:

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

arseofacrow wrote:basement.

please, for the love of god.

:roll: :banghead: :lol:
:lol: nope, you cannot be saved the Bendtner thread. You didn't manage to get rid of him permanently and thus this is still Arsenal related, he might yet be the future of AFC :shock: :wink:

flash gunner wrote:Not taking the piss now :D but seriously its going to be interesting to see how he gets on. Playing for Sunderland in his right position and getting a run of games i think he might do quite well for you lot
Yep, I think he'll do well for us, very much looking forward to seeing him upfront with Gyan. And don't worry- whether he does well or whether he struggles, you will read the story of his progress on this very thread!

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

safcftm wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:basement.

please, for the love of god.

:roll: :banghead: :lol:
:lol: nope, you cannot be saved the Bendtner thread. You didn't manage to get rid of him permanently and thus this is still Arsenal related, he might yet be the future of AFC :shock: :wink:

flash gunner wrote:Not taking the piss now :D but seriously its going to be interesting to see how he gets on. Playing for Sunderland in his right position and getting a run of games i think he might do quite well for you lot
Yep, I think he'll do well for us, very much looking forward to seeing him upfront with Gyan. And don't worry- whether he does well or whether he struggles, you will read the story of his progress on this very thread!
You'll soon change - I give you til Christmas!! :lol: :lol: Once Bender has shanked a few sitters into the away fans and demonstrated his shite first touch you'll be begging us to take him back.

He's like a younger and worse version of Jon Dahl Tomasson, that goal shy shirker that wore a Toon shirt a few years back. He's worse because Tomasson never claimed to be the best striker in the World, unlike Bender who thinks the sun shines out of his own arsehole.

And how will Casanova Bender take to the North East nightlife?? Dodgy trousers, dodgy Barnets and even dodgier women - mark my words he'll disgrace himself before the end of his loan period.

You'd have been better off with Nicholas Parsons . . . . :lol: :lol:

AFCWozza

Post by AFCWozza »

I would go as far as too say he will be in double figures for Sunderland easily

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Technically this should be in the basement. Not because it isn't Arsenal related but because it is about Billy Big Bollocks Bendtner and that'ts got fuck all to do with football! :lol: :lol:

xDAVEYx

Post by xDAVEYx »

im quite glad it's a loan deal, does that not mean he can't play against us? the way it's worked out with previous players before, the *word censored* is bound to hit a hat trick haha

dave75

Post by dave75 »

Can't be bothered to read the whole thread, but I'm with SAFC on this, Bendtner is a fairly decent player, his career at Arsenal was ruined by Wengers insistance on playing the same way, whatever the personnel & the situation. I hope he does well for ya.........though the c*** could of scored in Barcelona and given us a really good night out!

Still he won't be the first striker, or the last to miss a crucial opportunity........your not more than 50% to score when 1 on 1, most supporters seem to think it should be a given!

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

dave75 wrote:Can't be bothered to read the whole thread, but I'm with SAFC on this, Bendtner is a fairly decent player, his career at Arsenal was ruined by Wengers insistance on playing the same way, whatever the personnel & the situation. I hope he does well for ya.........though the c*** could of scored in Barcelona and given us a really good night out!

Still he won't be the first striker, or the last to miss a crucial opportunity........your not more than 50% to score when 1 on 1, most supporters seem to think it should be a given!
For the wages they make these days, they better fucking score! :lol:

This is a great thread though. Rarely do we get an opportunity to follow one of our own from such a close, inside perspective of their temporary club. Hence, sticky this thread!

Post by 1989 »

I just don't understand why safcftm has such a massive hard-on over him.

Irish Gooner

Post by Irish Gooner »

1989 wrote:I just don't understand why safcftm has such a massive hard-on over him.
I think when you see dross like Crouch go to Stoke for 10m pound , a team that will be competing with Sunderland, you know Bendtner on loan is a great deal.

I think he will score 20 goals in all comps if he stays fit and is used right. Sunderland are building a nice little side at present. Solid defence and squad.

I think if all goes to plan I would tip them for top 8 this year, but then again they are unpredictable and inconsistent.

Vaughan, Bendtner, the Korean striker, O'Shea, Brown, Gardener and Larsson are all good signings.

Other sides such as Villa and Everton have gone backwards. Outside the top 6, Sunderland are easily one of the best sides IMO.

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

1989 wrote:I just don't understand why safcftm has such a massive hard-on over him.
I think you have to remember just how poor we have had it in recent years. Relegated with 19 points all season, promoted 2 years later, relegated with 15 points all seasons, both seasons setting new record low points totals for top flight teams since the 3 points for a win rule came into place (until Derby nicely beat it for us). During that time we've had some utter shit. I mean, you might not like Bendtner but fuck me, you've never endured Jon Stead, Andy Gray (the "striker" not the pundit), Brian Deane, Stern John, Stephen Elliott, Darren Byfield. In the last decade we have had 3 strikers better than Bendtner (Phillips, Quinn and Bent). This alone makes him a good signing for us.

Add to this the fact that we desperately needed someone to partner Gyan. We have a great talent in Wickham, but he's nowhere near ready. So how many fairly powerful centre forwards could we hope to get to help ensure we dont go down and who are good enough to help us try to get top half? Well, theres Papiss Cisse and Patrick Helmes but, if I'm honest, I hadnt heard of either of them until the transfer window! In terms of players with PL experience we were linked only with Crouch. A 30 year old with a mediocre PL scoring record who, despite his height, doesn't lead a line well and who Spurs inexplicably expected £10m for despite the absolute lack of any sell on value and despite the fact they didnt even pay that for him before deeming him surplus to requirements.

As I've mentioned before, Bendtner isnt good enough for Arsenal but even in your "crisis" there is a world of difference between AFC challenging for the top 4 and SAFC for whom top 10 is seen as a massive achievement. Bendtner is a good central striker, one who will probably link well with Gyan, he isnt weak, hes not too slow, he sometimes shows very good technique (it sometimes lets him down too but fuck it, inconsistent good touches is better than Jon Stead!), he wins headers, he's intelligent. Put bluntly, the lad is an actual footballer and this marks him out as a class above a lot of the shit we've endured and he will be much more effective than Crouch would have been.

He's not as good as he thinks he is (hell, he thinks he's up there with Messi) but confidence is no bad thing in a striker. What is certain is that the boy has talent. A goal every 3 for Denmark, near 100 league appearances for Arsenal before he's 24. A not great goal return for Arsenal, but a lot of his appearances have been fleeting off the bench jobs, or he's been out wide. He is the kind of player who will never make it given cameo appearances. Given the backing of a manager, the responsibility of being a major player in a side and, most importantly, being played week in week out in his favoured position, this lad has the potential to play for a much better side than us. Plus we dont even need him to score a shit load, just grab a handful and help bring Gyan and Sessegnon into play.

When looking for a powerful presence up front with a bit of a touch of class and who will be in the middle to convert the kind of chances we have created in the first few games only to see no striker there, Nicklas Bendtner is about the best option we could realistically have hoped to attract. Certainly we are in no way too good for the lad. Time will tell, maybe 10 pages in I'll be slagging him on this thread, but I've seen enough of him at Arsenal to know there is a class footballer in there and I genuinely believe he just needs the kind of time up front that Arsenal cant give him. He wont be good enough for you, he might just be one of our best strikers in a decade, that is my prediction and it is certainly a lot more exciting than the likes of Crouch and N'Gog that we were linked with.

Here concludes the essay on why Bendtner is actually someone to get excited about :wink: If I had ideas above our station and thought we should be challenging for top 5 or 6, he wouldnt be good enough, but to get established in the top 10 this season, the lad will be a massive asset

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

safcftm wrote:
I think you have to remember just how poor we have had it in recent years. Relegated with 19 points all season, promoted 2 years later, relegated with 15 points all seasons, both seasons setting new record low points totals for top flight teams since the 3 points for a win rule came into place (until Derby nicely beat it for us). During that time we've had some utter shit. I mean, you might not like Bendtner but fuck me, you've never endured Jon Stead, Andy Gray (the "striker" not the pundit), Brian Deane, Stern John, Stephen Elliott, Darren Byfield. In the last decade we have had 3 strikers better than Bendtner (Phillips, Quinn and Bent). This alone makes him a good signing for us.

Add to this the fact that we desperately needed someone to partner Gyan. We have a great talent in Wickham, but he's nowhere near ready. So how many fairly powerful centre forwards could we hope to get to help ensure we dont go down and who are good enough to help us try to get top half? Well, theres Papiss Cisse and Patrick Helmes but, if I'm honest, I hadnt heard of either of them until the transfer window! In terms of players with PL experience we were linked only with Crouch. A 30 year old with a mediocre PL scoring record who, despite his height, doesn't lead a line well and who Spurs inexplicably expected £10m for despite the absolute lack of any sell on value and despite the fact they didnt even pay that for him before deeming him surplus to requirements.

As I've mentioned before, Bendtner isnt good enough for Arsenal but even in your "crisis" there is a world of difference between AFC challenging for the top 4 and SAFC for whom top 10 is seen as a massive achievement. Bendtner is a good central striker, one who will probably link well with Gyan, he isnt weak, hes not too slow, he sometimes shows very good technique (it sometimes lets him down too but fuck it, inconsistent good touches is better than Jon Stead!), he wins headers, he's intelligent. Put bluntly, the lad is an actual footballer and this marks him out as a class above a lot of the shit we've endured and he will be much more effective than Crouch would have been.

He's not as good as he thinks he is (hell, he thinks he's up there with Messi) but confidence is no bad thing in a striker. What is certain is that the boy has talent. A goal every 3 for Denmark, near 100 league appearances for Arsenal before he's 24. A not great goal return for Arsenal, but a lot of his appearances have been fleeting off the bench jobs, or he's been out wide. He is the kind of player who will never make it given cameo appearances. Given the backing of a manager, the responsibility of being a major player in a side and, most importantly, being played week in week out in his favoured position, this lad has the potential to play for a much better side than us. Plus we dont even need him to score a shit load, just grab a handful and help bring Gyan and Sessegnon into play.

When looking for a powerful presence up front with a bit of a touch of class and who will be in the middle to convert the kind of chances we have created in the first few games only to see no striker there, Nicklas Bendtner is about the best option we could realistically have hoped to attract. Certainly we are in no way too good for the lad. Time will tell, maybe 10 pages in I'll be slagging him on this thread, but I've seen enough of him at Arsenal to know there is a class footballer in there and I genuinely believe he just needs the kind of time up front that Arsenal cant give him. He wont be good enough for you, he might just be one of our best strikers in a decade, that is my prediction and it is certainly a lot more exciting than the likes of Crouch and N'Gog that we were linked with.

Here concludes the essay on why Bendtner is actually someone to get excited about :wink: If I had ideas above our station and thought we should be challenging for top 5 or 6, he wouldnt be good enough, but to get established in the top 10 this season, the lad will be a massive asset

A really good post this!

However, as it is about Bendtner it is a complete load of shite and so should be deleted.

8)

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

safcftm wrote:

Can you post at around midnight mate...cheers!

:lol: :wink:

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

:lol: :lol: :lol: cheeky buggers :wink:

By the way, I've now heard from someone (who is pretty trustworthy on such things) that apparently it was Bendtner who initiated the move, which is a bit strange. Apparently having heard that Crouch was going to go to Stoke he actually phoned Bruce and said to give him a chance and let him prove himself. Thats also been reported on the sunderland forum so there might well be something in it. Haven't heard of that happening very often so he really must be desperate for first team football in his favoured position, fair play to him for that I suppose.

Nicklas I'm your biggest fan, love watching you in the centre
Nicklas, Nicklas Bendtner,
Nicklas I'm so glad that Sunderland's the team you went ta,
Nicklas, Nicklas Bendtner

:oops:

Thats not going to take off is it? :oops: :wink:

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

safcftm wrote:By the way, I've now heard from someone (who is pretty trustworthy on such things) that apparently it was Bendtner who initiated the move, which is a bit strange. Apparently having heard that Crouch was going to go to Stoke he actually phoned Bruce and said to give him a chance and let him prove himself. Thats also been reported on the sunderland forum so there might well be something in it. Haven't heard of that happening very often so he really must be desperate for first team football in his favoured position, fair play to him for that I suppose.
Did he want to go to Stoke beforehand?

:?