Joey Barton v Peter Hill Wood

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SouthCoastArsenal

Joey Barton v Peter Hill Wood

Post by SouthCoastArsenal »

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood has denied knowledge of any plans to sign midfielder Joey Barton during the recent summer transfer window.

Barton claimed on Wednesday that he had held talks with Gunners boss Arsene Wenger before making a move to QPR in August.

The 29-year-old said he might have joined Arsenal had he not been involved in Gervinho's red card on the opening day of the season while playing for his former club, Newcastle.

He clashed with the Gunners' new signing at St James' Park, going to ground after a fracas which saw the Ivorian sent off.

Barton believes that incident was pivotal in Wenger deciding against bringing him to Emirates Stadium.

However, Arsenal chief Hill-Wood says he had no knowledge of the manager trying to sign the tempestuous midfielder.

He told the Daily Star: "It's not something the board heard about and if it was a serious proposition I certainly would have expected us to."

Given the fact that Hill-Wood has not denied it, I believe that Joey Barton is telling the truth. Shows to me that Wenger is so dominant behind the scenes that he does as he wishes without informing anyone..... even his 'employers'

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Why does that buffoon always give interviews to the Daily Star?

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Why does Hill-Wod always talk to the Daily Star? :?

Also i wouldnt trust either of these *word censored* H-W or Barton, both pathological liars. im sure H-W doesnt know what day of the week it is half the time :roll: For the good of Arsenal Football Club put him in a carehome now!!!!

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

I think you are making your own stories up about this.

Hill-Wood, who I am no fan of, has basically said it didn't happen as the board was not made aware of it. What more do you want him to say?

I want Wenger gone as much as the next man but I am not daft enough to believe Wenger can sanction transfers without board approval!

:roll:

skizz_b

Post by skizz_b »

rodders999 wrote:Why does that buffoon always give interviews to the Daily Star?
My thoughts exactly!! Awwwww snap :D

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Barton has responded on twitter -

"am not going to be drawn on PHW's comments, he obviously needs to open a dialogue channel with Wenger, Pat Rice and Steve Rowley....."

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

and the last bit -

"...i feel i made the right move for me, am very happy at QPR and wish Arsenal the best of luck. Everything happens for a reason I believe"

SouthCoastArsenal

Post by SouthCoastArsenal »

Again, my opinion is that Barton isn't lying, by doing so openly on Twitter, he could leave himself open to legal action.

He is about to get a tug from the FA for his Twitter comments about the Wolves fella at the weekend, so he is aware of the consequences.

To me it shows the communication between the 'messiah' & those above him is non existant & is another pointer towards the fact that Wenger does as he pleases

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

If it was azidis who said it I may be concerned but how much goes past Hill-Wood these days in terms of decision making is highly debatable.

8)

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Hill-Wood is so irrelevant its unbelievable. Yet Usmanov remains off the board while this fucker, who has no stake, is somehow on it.

augie

Post by augie »

The stupid old *word censored* admitted that he knew nothing about the guys we did actually sign at end of august so why would anybody bother trying to communicate with him over signings then ? :roll:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Quite likely Wenger informally spoke to Barton without informing the board.

But if it came down to a transfer actually going ahead, then I think someone on the board would have to sanction the exact amount of the transfer and the exact amount of money leaving the club's account. That would surely be the case since the George Graham scandal?

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Let's be fair, the senile old fella probably doesn't even know what day it is most of the time!! :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :wink: