Upgrading the forum - attn admin, geeks and other users.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Should There Be An Upgrade To The Forum

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes: 45

antgel

Upgrading the forum - attn admin, geeks and other users.

Post by antgel »

I don't know what version of phpBB it runs but it says 2002 at the bottom of the page, so I'm guessing it's pretty old. And let's be honest, using it feels very old fashioned - most forums run newer software these days.

If there's no compelling reason not to, why don't we update the forum to the current version of phpBB? Better look and feel, better features, and better security (who knows how many holes are in this version).

I'll volunteer to help migrate, if needed.

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

phpBB3 is what you are looking for antgel.

I think it was believed to be upgrading about 2 years ago, but nothing came of it :?

Mike1
Site Admin

Post by Mike1 »

Its a fair comment. We have been looking to upgrade for a while for a whole variety of reasons, but time is always the enemy and the forum never quite makes it to the top of the list.

We'll see what we can do in the next few months, although I make no promises.

Mike

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Oi antgel - mind your own business!! :evil: :evil: :augie: :augie: :roll: Us old timers and technophobes like the set-up exactly as it is, thank you very much!! :rebel_2: :oops: :wink: :lol: :lol: :wink:

gooner.ed
Site Admin

Post by gooner.ed »

this is definitely a good case for having a poll, although i think it would be good if there was a link to a forum using the newer version so that people could see what was in prospect.

if anyone wants to start one, maybe do it in 'arsenal chat' - i think it's justified given the results will affect everybody.

antgel

Post by antgel »

As for the look and feel, it wouldn't have to look very different to what it looks like now, we could migrate some of the theme. It's more about the features that would be on offer and the chance that someone could hack the server and bring it all down.

I'll try to find a list of features in new versions of phpbb, if I can find the time.

It's fine having a poll, but if we don't spell out the advantages of an upgrade (for those who aren't sure), it might be hard to get people to vote.

Bottom line - it would be *no worse* for anyone.

BournemouthRED

Post by BournemouthRED »

Does the new forum have to be an arsenal board? :lol:

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Couldn't vote cos I haven't got a f**kin' clue what this is all about. php?? BB??

Is that Personal Hygiene Problems on Big Brother???? Some smelly attention seeking numpty in the Big Brother hoooooooooooooose. . . . . .

You need to thank God you didn't live 100 years ago mate, before Ye Olde Computer was invented. You'd have had to sit under a tree re-arranging acorns or something . . . . . . :lol:

antgel

Post by antgel »

There's a very geeky and long review of phpbb3 at http://www.forum-software.org/phpbb3/review. It shows many of the more up-to-date features, and compares it to phpbb2 a bit.

I should also say that an upgrade will make things better for admins, it would be easier to manage the forum, and also to implement new things. phpbb2 is ancient, and not supported.

I know there's a lot of old *word censored* on here who hate change but I really don't believe it would suddenly be difficult to use, it would be more or less the same *at worst*, and probably *much better*.

Personally, I'd love to see a feature where I wouldn't have to see all your crappy signatures. :lol: (Except tit ones.)

JFG, if you don't know anything about it, feel free not to even post. :lol: ;)

frankbutcher

Post by frankbutcher »

Does this mean the end of the clique?

8)

REB

Post by REB »

frankbutcher wrote:Does this mean the end of the clique?

8)
what clique :shock:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I like it just how it is.

topcat

Post by topcat »

Arsenal uprgraded their stadium in 2006 and that didn't turn out for the good, so i suggest we don't upgrade this forum.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

I know next to fuck all about all this computer malarkey so excuse my naivety, but isn't there a way of upgrading all the technical and security bits without affecting what we see on the screen and how we use the various functions? :? :oops: :oops:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I Hate Hleb wrote:I know next to fuck all about all this computer malarkey so excuse my naivety, but isn't there a way of upgrading all the technical and security bits without affecting what we see on the screen and how we use the various functions? :? :oops: :oops:
Of course not, you ignoramus :wink: :lol: