PAT RICE

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
donaldo

Re: PAT RICE

Post by donaldo »

Great servant but there was a reason why he has stayed so long.Two more games to agree with Wenger

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Over the last year or so Pat has, inexplicably, come in for some very harsh criticism, though we've yet to hear any evidence as to what he does well or badly.

I'd been a supporter for a few years before I really knew all of the players, staff, history etc and Pat was in the first team of which I was an expert. I was lucky enough to get all of the Double-winning side's autographs and, after George Armstrong, Pat was my favourite player (I always played right midfield or right back). A great bloke and a fantastic servant to the club. If he is retiring I wish him all the best.

On a practical note, a 'do it for Pat' pre-match talk at the Hawthorns might just do the trick.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:Theres always someone to blame on here :lol:
Let's blame redwumber - after all it is well deserved anyway! :D :wink:

SE12red

Post by SE12red »

A great servant of the club and a real Arsenal man . If he is about to retire he deserves a great send off .

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Agreed - thanks for everything Pat. Still remember him lifting the FA Cup for my first trophy as a boy Gooner. Nothing other than a 100% Arsenal man.

As for criticism of his coaching? Not qualified to answer it. Seems to be a lot of popular talk about him being a 'yes' man, but nobody on here has any evidence of that

Post by 1989 »

If there ever was a Mr Arsenal it's him. Absolute legend. Thanks for everything Pat. Now bring on Adams. :barscarf:

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

A few years ago there was a great Soccer AM Third Eye where in the background he disagrees with a decision the ref's made and you see him take his glasses off and offer them to the ref!!
Arsenal through and through and if it is to be his last season I hope he enjoys a very long and happy retirement.

Old Oak Gooner

Post by Old Oak Gooner »

Legend, happy retirement Pat- and enjoy the testimonial :barscarf:

hugh jardon

Post by hugh jardon »

Can any of those who have described Rice as a "yes man" or similar on this thread offer any examples to support their criticism or explain what has made you think that of him?

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

mikehutch86 wrote:As much of a legend as Pat Rice is to Arsenal stepping down as the no.2 is one of the best things that could happen to our club.

Look at Fergie who freshens his backroom team up every other year, we need a change and someone who can challenge Wenger with his decisions.

But i am a realist and realise this won't happen so expect another 10 years of a yes man as number 2
Rice is not a yes man. He is a "virtually ignored man".
So too will be his successor.

From some connected people I have heard that Rice has little say in things; but acts as an occasional sounding board, someone for the players to express concerns to and a training assistant.

The Daily Fail now thinks it is a contest between Steve Bould and Neil Banfield. I think Banfield will get it, if this is the case.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -Rice.html

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Bet you anything you like that Neil Banfield gets the job. :roll: The guy's post match quotes even sound exactly like his master's. Mind you I suppose it's understandable, after all Arsene wouldn't want anyone either questioning his methods, giving his 'babies' a good ear-bashing or god forbid if things were to go well, getting some of the credit. :oops: :banghead: :roll:

HashKads

Post by HashKads »

I Hate Hleb wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -Rice.html

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Bet you anything you like that Neil Banfield gets the job. :roll: The guy's post match quotes even sound exactly like his master's. Mind you I suppose it's understandable, after all Arsene wouldn't want anyone either questioning his methods, giving his 'babies' a good ear-bashing or god forbid if things were to go well, getting some of the credit. :oops: :banghead: :roll:
Promote from within? WTF!? The guy is a fucking through and through Gooner. 22 years at the club but you want to promote from within. Our club is so fucked, if this is true. (not that I don't know that already :lol: )

potter

Post by potter »

Another missed opportunity to bring older supporters back on board.

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

Pat's an Arsenal legend. A lot of people take out their Wenger frustrations on him, which is unfair. At the end of the day, the man has served this club with much of his life and given it his all. It's becoming a rarity to see this kind of loyalty and commitment to one club - enjoy it and appreciate it.

Thanks Pat :barscarf:

Herd

Post by Herd »

I'L NEVER FORGET THE DAY HE TOLD ME TO FUCK OFF .(Wolves away 1980,the Friday after losing to West ham in the FA then Valencia the Cup Winners cup )

Still has been a great servant as a player ,and his holding of the clip board, and setting out cones for a paltry 1 Million a year a example of excellence to us all .

Pat Rice (Tasty Goal) we salute you !