THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
sk-gtfo

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by sk-gtfo »

xgtdec wrote:http://www.football365.com/news/wenger- ... many-times

another signing to the virtual squad...we really are virtual worldbeaters!!
I thought Wenger was supposed to be an intelligent man?, why then does he fall for the bait every single time when a journalist asks about x player who he could have signed?, Wenger has far too much faith in the likes of Ramsey, Iwobi, Coquelin etc. he just can't judge players potential like he used to back in the day when he had the inside track in France especially.

When you think about it what does he offer as manager now without the advantages he had early on (the Highbury years) ?, not a lot really - tactically weak, not adaptable to change (new coaches etc.), unable to judge players ability as well as the current top managers, loyal to under performing overpaid players, take the top 4 trophy stock market cup away and what is left?.

:roll:

NickF

Post by NickF »

It was a very leading question from the journo, who said "since Alle burst onto the scene a few manager talked about how they were interested in signing him before he went to T*ttenham, did you ever look at him?". Not quite sure how he would answer this and not look bad.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

sk-gtfo wrote:

I thought Wenger was supposed to be an intelligent man?, why then does he fall for the bait every single time when a journalist asks about x player who he could have signed?, Wenger has far too much faith in the likes of Ramsey, Iwobi, Coquelin etc. he just can't judge players potential like he used to back in the day when he had the inside track in France especially.

When you think about it what does he offer as manager now without the advantages he had early on (the Highbury years) ?, not a lot really - tactically weak, not adaptable to change (new coaches etc.), unable to judge players ability as well as the current top managers, loyal to under performing overpaid players, take the top 4 trophy stock market cup away and what is left?.

:roll:
I think he does it so as not to appear that he's asleep at the wheel (even though he has been for years) So when a new leading light appears on the scene Wenger always has to say he knew all about him from way back.....Actually it makes him appear more foolish because then it begs the question "If you knew about him,why the hell didn't you buy him"

It's like the story going around toward the end of last season....Wenger nearly bought Leicester.

Of course if that were true, with the squad Leicester had, Wenger would have been fighting to avoid relegation with them.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Whenever he says 'I watched this player', I wish a journalist would follow up by asking who you signed instead.

I dont think he goes into detail anymore, ever since he said out loud that he 'didnt regret' choosing Francis Jeffers over RVN.

http://www.espnfc.com/england/news/2002 ... enger.html

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Wilson wrote:Whenever he says 'I watched this player', I wish a journalist would follow up by asking who you signed instead.

I dont think he goes into detail anymore, ever since he said out loud that he 'didnt regret' choosing Francis Jeffers over RVN.

http://www.espnfc.com/england/news/2002 ... enger.html
He just doesn't want to 'kill' Ramsey, Iwobi etc. this is why he has persevered with Walcott for so long, because he simply refuses to believe his judgement could have been wrong all along, he is stubborn in so many respects and this talk of reinventing himself is comical as best, I'm sure though by playing 3 at the back for the first time in 20 years he will be convinced that he can.

The board need to do the right thing this summer and get rid, if not then that tells us all we need to know about them as well as Wenger, it shouldn't need f*cking protests to make up their mind either!.

General

Post by General »

Wilson wrote:‘Let’s be honest, I answered the question of [power] shift for 18 years.
‘You cannot say that that the weight of one year has the weight of 20.’

Well Arsene, thats why its called a power shift, as the whole point of a power shift, is the reversal of two teams fortunes. And if we are honest, we have only been finishing above Spurs by bare thin margins over the past years. Did you know in seasons 11-12, 12-13 and 15-16 we only finished ahead of Spurs by a single point!! The last time we finished 15 points ahead of Spurs, was 2008-09, plus, we also had the close call in 2006 having to beat Wigan in the final game at Highbury to leapfrog Spurs on the final day.

The close calls with Spurs should have been a warning sign. Yet of course, Arsene didnt see it coming and even know with Spurs 15 points in front and easily the best team in the country along with Chelsea - Arsene still cant see it, he cant see our diminishing position not just in the league, but also in relation to Spurs.

What if Chelsea slip up and Spurs actually win the league - will Wenger find some insane reason for why its not really a big deal? No team finds itself 15 points below another team without being inferior.

Another part of his legacy is seeing Spurs overtake us on his watch. Because we were better than Spurs when he arrived in 1996.
All very good points.

Since the fraud loves a good financial debate, they should ask him how he's 14points behind a team with a wage bill nearly half ours and a net spend of almost £0m for the past 5years. That'd sure send the toys flying again. Say what you want about the scum, they sure are very well run financially, whereas we've had a very expensive decline allowing the fraud to enrich himself with millions in the process. The media need to stop the pussyfooting and start asking the real questions.

One of the favourite AKB arguments is how we've never finished below a team we've outspent. They are going to get their wish again.

Midz

Post by Midz »

flash gunner wrote:
Midz wrote:huh? why is the M word sensored ^^ am I missing something?

It goes back a long way mate when the word/name could have got the forum shut down.
Thanks flash, it's lost on me but never mind.
I just thought it was amusing the way AW said they watched them is all. :D

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

As others have said, why do the press / media constantly let him get away with this bollocks. The obvious next question is : "If you watched him many, many times, then why did Tottenham see something that you and your scouts failed to see?"

It's hardly Oxford Union level is it ? A below average dullard ought to be capable of coming up with that question.

Also, good post from General about Tottenham's wage bill and net spend over 5 years. Il Duce would turn nasty very quickly if a journo questioned him about that.

Re Wilson's post, it's very clear that Wenger is preparing his one year versus twenty year excuse. The King of Spin. In another 2 years he'll simply be re-hashing it as 20 versus 3 years and the lumpen proles at the bowl will swallow it and repeat it as usual. :(

MrT

Post by MrT »

Doing the rounds. Wonder why they love him so much.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -side.html

Some of the things he comes out with are just draw dropping. You read this article you would think we were the ones challenging for the title, whereas in reality, they are and we are desperately scrambling to get into 4th place to preserve Wenger's record. If there was ever just one point of debate about our ambitions this is it, that 4th place means so much FOR HIM, WE are the one's looking for bigger things NOT HIM. He portrays himself as this visionary colossus with his eye on greatness whereas in reality every single year at this time we are fighting to get into the CL and it's portrayed as if we are fighting for the biggest of trophies. How has this huge football club allowed itself to be dragged down to this level by one man????

EastupperA

Post by EastupperA »

Paul Hayward keeps banging the drum thank god. Can't find the link but very succinct article in today's telegraph digging at Wenger but in a passive way entitled Wenger is left in the shade by Spurs’ nurturing of talent

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

EastupperA wrote:Paul Hayward keeps banging the drum thank god. Can't find the link but very succinct article in today's telegraph digging at Wenger but in a passive way entitled Wenger is left in the shade by Spurs’ nurturing of talent

-

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39746304

Only an utter fool could ever think that wenger isn't spouting shyte & lies. He really does use the same tools as a politician - Lies, deceit , bullshyte and utter gobbledegook.

#WENGEROUT

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

xisstential wrote:How has this huge football club allowed itself to be dragged down to this level by one man????
Because the board's brief to Wenger was always "as long as we get top 4" everything is ok, it pains me to agree with Mourinho but he was right, Wenger has the cushiest job in football, he might as well be a board member himself as he is such a company man and until now (maybe) has achieved the company 'KPI' every season.

Since moving to the Emirates we've basically become like a supermarket or any other commercial business and the football almost has become a small sideshow (and less entertaining year on year!). The chickens are coming home to roost though, I heard that more than 50% of the club level boxes looked empty against Leicester and there were more empty seats than ever, ST holders are not finding it as easy as they use to to shift their tickets for unwanted games on TX either, soon they will drop their ST and no waiting list = no fear factor for the club to throw at fans.

With spuds and in the longer term chavs moving to similar sized (probably better) stadiums the floating fans will have choice as well, we might as well have moved to Wembley, at least Spurs would be shafted for somewhere to play next season...

armchair

Post by armchair »

Wenger has been given everything any decent manager would need to compete.

World class facilities
Absolute control of football matters
New stadium in the capital city of the home of football
Incredibly high salary
An owner who doesnt interfere or withold funds
A worldwide fanbase
Respect of media and pundits
Freedom to compete financially with pretty much anyone

Yet he still fails and fails spectacularly.