THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by augie »

xisstential wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:49 pm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... win-title/

Difficult not to hate the man. Wtf is he even talking about.

Amongst the various amount of shite he was spouting, he referred to the importance and value of past traditions - this from a man who has single handidly (sp :oops: ) eroded the value and importance that was attached to being captain of The Arsenal, and also binned the tradition of all players wearing the same sleeve length in matches. The importance of assistant managers in football clubs has also been disregarded in our club as one mans power is all conquering :roll: :censored: :censored: :censored:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

xisstential wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:49 pm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... win-title/

Difficult not to hate the man. Wtf is he even talking about.
I detest the *word censored*..when he signed the new deal in May after the season of shite we had on top of the previous seasons of shite I knew at that point we were finished as a club who could challenge :cry: we truly are fucked.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Here we go again, Wenger has an opinion on everything and seems to think he is an expert on football, politics and economics. Wtf has brexit got to do with anything?, now he thinks he's a f*cking philosopher as well.

STFU Arsene!.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

he is a

Edited..... Come on mate you know the rules - flash

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:00 am
he is a

It's just dawned on me that i don't think you like OGL mate :shock:

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Anyone else see Wenger being lauded by the likes of AFTV on social media, for managing us for 800 games. It's hilarious that anyone would celebrate a manager lasting in the job this long, when it is only because we have an absent owner, and incompetent board that he has made it any where near 800 games.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

BFG4 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:16 am
Anyone else see Wenger being lauded by the likes of AFTV on social media, for managing us for 800 games. It's hilarious that anyone would celebrate a manager lasting in the job this long, when it is only because we have an absent owner, and incompetent board that he has made it any where near 800 games.
I saw some quote from Wenger in which he said something like" to get to 1000 games will be difficult, it would be another 5 years" :roll:

he is thinking about it!, he really is! :banghead:

Gooner_Sam

Post by Gooner_Sam »

Not been around here an awful lot, but just had to express my current concern with the absolute guff that is going on at the club. Wenger was an absolute hero of mine growing up, I was born in 1992 so only really remember him as the manager of Arsenal. Unlike many others on the forum I didn't have the luxury of seeing us on the old North Bank terraces, watching Rocky or seeing us win the League at Anfield with George Graham. Although I've never seen Sp*rs win anything other than a couple of Milk Cups and a put the pressure on trophy so that's a softener.

I do remember us vaguely winning the league in 1998, it began my love affair with the club. That beautiful yellow and blue JVC away shirt was my first love as a child. My family are all Arsenal, my great grandfather saw the first ever game at Highbury in 1913, my grandad went home and away every week for 40 years, my uncle did the same, my mum stood on the clock end in the 80's.

I grew up in Highbury Barn, Arsenal was my life. I never knew any other way of life, it was a passion that I could never see abstaining, it was wonderful. I loved Highbury, its beautiful art deco East Stand, walking through the dark tunnel so see the daunting lights of the West Stand beam at you. Peering from the top of Avenell Road to the masses of fans below, whilst your nostrils were invaded by the beautiful smell of burgers & sweet onions. What a time to have experienced, a truly brilliant time to be an Arsenal fan. I miss those days of Highbury. The Emirates, it goes without saying, just isn't the same.

I grew up and started to be left to go to go games alone or with friends, usually the same personal friend I've been attending with for 9 years now. I've been fortunate to go everywhere, I've scaled the country from Reading to Newcastle, to Old Trafford, Anfield, SHL, Stamford Bridge et al. I've been to Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Croatia, Bulgaria, Switzerland, Germany etc to see us play. I've been to FA Cup finals. I don't regret any of it. Even when my flight to Munich away got cancelled, I booked a 14 hour Megabus to Cologne and a 4 hour train on to Munich to make it, only to see us get pumped 5-1. Its a memory, at least.

I lost my grandfather and great Uncle within a six week period, in 2015. The two men who brought me up on Arsenal and took me to games, rang me after a big win, injected that enthusiasm and love for Arsenal into me had died. So maybe thats why a huge chunk of my enthusiasm for the club has gone. Although, there is a huge problem with Wenger and the board. Arsene, a man who hasn't changed his way, albeit some tactics in 20 years of management, is still here whilst the game in England has evolved. Propped up by a board who simply don't care.

We have a team of average players, whom of which currently earn well over £100,000 a week. A goalkeeper for starters who has the speed of a tortoise with a broken leg, a defender who is retiring at the end of the campaign, an ill disciplined midfield but a genuinely decent forward line that has two players in it who desperately want to leave.

We've got a manager now that commits average players to wages they simply do not deserve, you only have to look at Theo Walcott to see that is an absolute abomination. A CEO who has no say in the club at all, a chairman who doesn't give a flying fuck and an owner who tends to his syrup with more enthusiasm than the club he owns. Meanwhile, fans are being fleeced left, right and centre. I grew up into this club with the understanding that everyone involved were pushing towards a common goal, from board level to fans. We all simply just wanted to win. We had no muppet fans who filmed themselves during games, we just had people who were brought up on the same values that the club had inflicted on them. To follow our side no matter what.

I loved Arsene when I was younger, he felt like an unofficial second father. Even when we lost, I knew that he felt the same way I did. Pure agony, so it was okay. He had done enough in those years to have the odd defeat. He'd given me two doubles, an unbeaten season, a few FA Cups. Its now no longer enough, the man who I idolised looks unwell, grey and old. The torment has gone on too long. I have never wanted to us to lose or for him to fail just to see him go, because it doesn't work.

The club died when we left Highbury, we have had a few laughs along the way but we have been dead since then. The board made a mistake in leaving, commercial reasons don't really cut it with me. Its not something as a football fan I really care about. I hope somewhere along the way that I can pick up on the story that so enchanted me as a young kid, but I think its unlikely and its gone forever.

Sorry for the rant.

GS

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Gooner_Sam wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:02 am
Not been around here an awful lot, but just had to express my current concern with the absolute guff that is going on at the club. Wenger was an absolute hero of mine growing up, I was born in 1992 so only really remember him as the manager of Arsenal. Unlike many others on the forum I didn't have the luxury of seeing us on the old North Bank terraces, watching Rocky or seeing us win the League at Anfield with George Graham. Although I've never seen Sp*rs win anything other than a couple of Milk Cups and a put the pressure on trophy so that's a softener.

I do remember us vaguely winning the league in 1998, it began my love affair with the club. That beautiful yellow and blue JVC away shirt was my first love as a child. My family are all Arsenal, my great grandfather saw the first ever game at Highbury in 1913, my grandad went home and away every week for 40 years, my uncle did the same, my mum stood on the clock end in the 80's.

I grew up in Highbury Barn, Arsenal was my life. I never knew any other way of life, it was a passion that I could never see abstaining, it was wonderful. I loved Highbury, its beautiful art deco East Stand, walking through the dark tunnel so see the daunting lights of the West Stand beam at you. Peering from the top of Avenell Road to the masses of fans below, whilst your nostrils were invaded by the beautiful smell of burgers & sweet onions. What a time to have experienced, a truly brilliant time to be an Arsenal fan. I miss those days of Highbury. The Emirates, it goes without saying, just isn't the same.

I grew up and started to be left to go to go games alone or with friends, usually the same personal friend I've been attending with for 9 years now. I've been fortunate to go everywhere, I've scaled the country from Reading to Newcastle, to Old Trafford, Anfield, SHL, Stamford Bridge et al. I've been to Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Croatia, Bulgaria, Switzerland, Germany etc to see us play. I've been to FA Cup finals. I don't regret any of it. Even when my flight to Munich away got cancelled, I booked a 14 hour Megabus to Cologne and a 4 hour train on to Munich to make it, only to see us get pumped 5-1. Its a memory, at least.

I lost my grandfather and great Uncle within a six week period, in 2015. The two men who brought me up on Arsenal and took me to games, rang me after a big win, injected that enthusiasm and love for Arsenal into me had died. So maybe thats why a huge chunk of my enthusiasm for the club has gone. Although, there is a huge problem with Wenger and the board. Arsene, a man who hasn't changed his way, albeit some tactics in 20 years of management, is still here whilst the game in England has evolved. Propped up by a board who simply don't care.

We have a team of average players, whom of which currently earn well over £100,000 a week. A goalkeeper for starters who has the speed of a tortoise with a broken leg, a defender who is retiring at the end of the campaign, an ill disciplined midfield but a genuinely decent forward line that has two players in it who desperately want to leave.

We've got a manager now that commits average players to wages they simply do not deserve, you only have to look at Theo Walcott to see that is an absolute abomination. A CEO who has no say in the club at all, a chairman who doesn't give a flying fuck and an owner who tends to his syrup with more enthusiasm than the club he owns. Meanwhile, fans are being fleeced left, right and centre. I grew up into this club with the understanding that everyone involved were pushing towards a common goal, from board level to fans. We all simply just wanted to win. We had no muppet fans who filmed themselves during games, we just had people who were brought up on the same values that the club had inflicted on them. To follow our side no matter what.

I loved Arsene when I was younger, he felt like an unofficial second father. Even when we lost, I knew that he felt the same way I did. Pure agony, so it was okay. He had done enough in those years to have the odd defeat. He'd given me two doubles, an unbeaten season, a few FA Cups. Its now no longer enough, the man who I idolised looks unwell, grey and old. The torment has gone on too long. I have never wanted to us to lose or for him to fail just to see him go, because it doesn't work.

The club died when we left Highbury, we have had a few laughs along the way but we have been dead since then. The board made a mistake in leaving, commercial reasons don't really cut it with me. Its not something as a football fan I really care about. I hope somewhere along the way that I can pick up on the story that so enchanted me as a young kid, but I think its unlikely and its gone forever.

Sorry for the rant.

GS
page 2333 and the post of the thread so far :barscarf: (depressingly so)

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:32 am
BFG4 wrote:
I saw some quote from Wenger in which he said something like" to get to 1000 games will be difficult, it would be another 5 years" :roll:

The only reason Wenger doesn't sign 5 or 6 year deals, is for two reasons. 1. The board wants to give the illusion that he hasn't just got a job for life and 2. Wenger can re-negotiate for more money, after every new deal. There is no light at the end of the tunnel. Wenger will be here, as long as he wants to be. Eventually when he gets sick of being manager, he will move upstairs to dictate to the puppet brought in to replace him.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

The problem with Wenger eventually moving upstairs is that no manager worth his salt would come here under those circumstances. We'd end up with a Moyes when we need a Mourinho, or a puppet when we need a Pep

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

anyone read the latest gooner? got mine today and my god, the amount of wenger apologism in there is frightening! it's like we've gone back to 2009, fair enough they got an interview from tony adams but they've also done one with piers fucking morgan :roll:

:oops:

edit: the piers morgan interview is actually very clearly a pisstake, fair enough then :lol:

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

I think the comments made at the AGM said it all really. Our board think the club are achieving above our level.
Well our level is the 3rd most successful team in the history of English football behind of course Liverpool and United.
We have a huge global fan base and charge the most money at our 60,000 stadium which was built so we could compete with the best in the world.
Fitzmann dies, Dein gets sacked new board take over and 7 years later finishing 5th is achieving above our level.
Europa League for many years to come if we are lucky enough to achieve above our level.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:00 am
he is a

Edited..... Come on mate you know the rules - flash
Since when have we not been allowed to call him a vagina? :evil: Lot's of posters do so on here all the time...including a certain Ooompah Lumpah mod. :?

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:32 am
BFG4 wrote:

absolutely, it is all about him he wants to surpass Fergies longevity record, only has 10 games in premiership...then onto the next 4 years or so
He is fit as fuck...he has nowhere to go, he is frightened of retiring and no other *word censored* will have him...so get used to it....we are FUCKED