THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by OneBardGooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:Booo...fucking...hooo, you self centred, narcissistic, self serving *word censored*!!!

This homage to AW on the BBC is puke inducing but for some reason i can't stop watching it :banghead:
I know, it's like when they take you to the hospital when you have nearly cut your finger off and it's hanging by a thread and they start sewing it back on even with all the jabs it still hurts and yet you cannot stop watching the dr with the needs and sutures etc... weird :?

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

EastupperA wrote:Im not sure what the fuck People think is the Arsenal way???
Indeed, this is what p*sses me off most about AKB's, who seem to overlap a lot with also being Kroenke sympathisers, not directly of course, I mean that would be pretty sad, but what I mean is they preach about Chelski buying success (and City) with Arsenal being so morally superior, why though?, because we charge the fans premium prices for second rate "product"? and pretend we are trying to win the big prizes despite all our actions being counter productive to it - scrimping, giving Wenger new contracts for finishing 4th.

What is the difference anyway? Usmanov buys super yachts, Kroenke buys a ranch the size of Wales.. and as for corruption yes it is very likely Usmanov and Abramovich were bent but does anyone think that Kroenke hasn't done dodgy deals in his time?, it's not like the club is fan owned ffs, it is in effect a US franchise so I don't see what there is to be so proud of there, "The Arsenal way" is just an excuse for when we fail to make them feel there is a good reason for it, when in reality there isn't!, that and they can absolve Wenger of blame of course.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

He is going into that board meeting on Tuesday from a real position of strength, no doubt Kronke wants him to sign the 2 year extension, that is not the issue in hand.
He will use this tremendous performance to further strengthen his position, as if thats possible, he will have them all kissing his ass, how dare fans show any dissent, I will never forget it....
Gazidis will have to apologise for even suggesting any change required in the form of a director of football...
Wenger will become unassailable now....2 years he is 69, my money would be on him continuing after that.....

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Don't think yesterday changes anything. Kroenke (and by extension the swing of the board) only care about money. Winning the FA Cup is financially negligible and I don't think anybody could argue that Wenger spunked away nearly 100m last year and that we will be in an uphill battle to get back into the CL gravy train next season.

In Wenger's perspective, the only variable is how easy a ride he thinks he'll get. And as deluded as he is, he can see the scale of the intense desire to get him out from a lot of fans and - when the chips were really down - the media. Even though we were in a Wembley semi-final. Yesterday won't change the fact that he will incur the same treatment next year if/when the same thing happens again and we are miles off challenging for the title.

Not saying he will definitely go, but I don't think yesterday will change the outcome. Trying to read into what he says is a fools task, but his recent quotes acknowledging that the uncertainty did affect the team (meaning he can pin that uncertainty on somebody other than himself) and essentially calling any protests a disgrace are pretty consistent with a man who will be going. Then again would a manager who is possibly going to be effectively sacked be invited to attend a board meeting? I still think we are reliant on him deciding to jack it in.

Blade

Post by Blade »

And they don't need to sell Alexis -he is still under contract.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

northbank123 wrote:Don't think yesterday changes anything. Kroenke (and by extension the swing of the board) only care about money. Winning the FA Cup is financially negligible and I don't think anybody could argue that Wenger spunked away nearly 100m last year and that we will be in an uphill battle to get back into the CL gravy train next season.

In Wenger's perspective, the only variable is how easy a ride he thinks he'll get. And as deluded as he is, he can see the scale of the intense desire to get him out from a lot of fans and - when the chips were really down - the media. Even though we were in a Wembley semi-final. Yesterday won't change the fact that he will incur the same treatment next year if/when the same thing happens again and we are miles off challenging for the title.

Not saying he will definitely go, but I don't think yesterday will change the outcome. Trying to read into what he says is a fools task, but his recent quotes acknowledging that the uncertainty did affect the team (meaning he can pin that uncertainty on somebody other than himself) and essentially calling any protests a disgrace are pretty consistent with a man who will be going. Then again would a manager who is possibly going to be effectively sacked be invited to attend a board meeting? I still think we are reliant on him deciding to jack it in.
Definitely staying no question about it.....the only outcome from Board meeting could be Gazidis being sidelined, Wenger rules, he built the club ,he decides when he goes, FULL 100% backing of Kronke ....

Graham71

Post by Graham71 »

Blade wrote:And they don't need to sell Alexis -he is still under contract.
What planet are you on? Are they going to set fire to £50m on the centre circle. Thats what Kroenke is at Arsenal for.Money.Sanchez is gone

Graham71

Post by Graham71 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Clash wrote:
General wrote:If there is one thing the wing wearing coont cares about it's brand image and the protests have truly set the cat amongst the pigeons. They don't want to spend the next year or two under these dark clouds and for me it almost makes Wenger's position untenable. Handing him a new contract is just delaying the inevitable.
But Wenger disgracefully accuses the fans protesting against him as damaging Arsenal's impeccable reputation'' :roll:

So losing 10-2 on aggregate doesn't damage the clubs reputation ?

Wenger says its not about him but about the club ... then said he thinks its a disgrace that human is treated in a way that no human being should be treated. So it is about him then? Or is the club a human being? :roll:

Maybe if Wenger is such a humanitarian he should apologise to the referee he said he was ''revolted'' by in the Bayern 2nd leg. But that would mean Wenger showing some human traits he doesnt possess like humility.
Mate your last two posts suggest you as many others on this forum have an agenda, rather than can really accept we played pretty well yesterday deserving to win the game by more than the 2-1 scoreline. I am an Arsenal fan first, forget about the politics of the club, the manager the owner. On a purely footballing level yesterday Arsenal turned up big time and made a lot of us happy.

Now what happens in the future who knows, but for just this short period of time can we just enjoy the fact that not only did we stop chelski from securing the double, but we also ended up having a better season than our illustrious neighbours despite being shit for large parts of it.

And before you say anything I am not an AKB, I just want to enjoy this weekend no harm in that ehhh!!!
Even after yesterday i would still sack Wenger.He won a cup competition even an awful United team won last season and they sacked their manager straight afterwards .No i would sack him for 13 years of not challenging for the title. 20 years bar 2006 of humiliation in the CL.And a disastrous season in the league this year.We are not going to win the title next year so what is the point in giving him another chance.The club needs a complete break from the stranglehold Wenger has over the club.For once i agree with something Wenger said when he said his future shouldnt be judged on one game.It should be judged over the last decade of decline at the club.Yesterday was great but it is just another papering over the cracks job.Until next years annual mid season collapse

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I can't say why but i have an awful feeling Tuesdays meeting may turn out to be something none of us expect, Wengers seeming turnaround on the DoF issue has set alarm bells ringing in my head.

Wenger is the arch spin-doctor and i have a feeling this may be his ultimate swindle, i have a totally unfounded but nagging suspicion that he may become DoF himself with a puppet brought in to 'manage/coach' the team. :roll:

For some on the Wenger Out side this will seem a victory of sorts and it will remove the immediate pressure from him whilst ensuring he retains power, it will also seem to some of the more gullible that the board have carried out this magical reshuffle they have been harking at :rubchin:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

GoonerMuzz wrote:I can't say why but i have an awful feeling Tuesdays meeting may turn out to be something none of us expect, Wengers seeming turnaround on the DoF issue has set alarm bells ringing in my head.

Wenger is the arch spin-doctor and i have a feeling this may be his ultimate swindle, i have a totally unfounded but nagging suspicion that he may become DoF himself with a puppet brought in to 'manage/coach' the team. :roll:

For some on the Wenger Out side this will seem a victory of sorts and it will remove the immediate pressure from him whilst ensuring he retains power, it will also seem to some of the more gullible that the board have carried out this magical reshuffle they have been harking at :rubchin:
After what he said, he will not work with a Director of Football, and furthermore does not recognise or understand the position, so how will he become one??

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

I've watched all his interviews and I have a funny feeling that he's gone, the interview aired before the final just seemed like him having his say to the fans before he left, everything after the game seems very reflective, would not be surprised to see him go so it's on a high and on his say rather than for him to be removed after a year if it hits the fan again.

Fingers crossed.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Redarmy wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:I can't say why but i have an awful feeling Tuesdays meeting may turn out to be something none of us expect, Wengers seeming turnaround on the DoF issue has set alarm bells ringing in my head.

After what he said, he will not work with a Director of Football, and furthermore does not recognise or understand the position, so how will he become one??
He did a complete u-turn on that a week or so ago, guess some missed it :roll:

I'll try to find the interview/quote if i can be bothered

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Gunnersaurus wrote:I've watched all his interviews and I have a funny feeling that he's gone, the interview aired before the final just seemed like him having his say to the fans before he left, everything after the game seems very reflective, would not be surprised to see him go so it's on a high and on his say rather than for him to be removed after a year if it hits the fan again.

Fingers crossed.
He is such a master of spin - and delusional maybe he waited till after the finmal to make his mind up?

Regardless - I hope he does leave (on a high)...and who knows maybe he/the board will surprise us in a totally un-imagined way and announce a new manager none of us would guess in a million years!? - Or maybe he will stay!? :? :? :?

augie

Post by augie »

Gunnersaurus wrote:I've watched all his interviews and I have a funny feeling that he's gone, the interview aired before the final just seemed like him having his say to the fans before he left, everything after the game seems very reflective, would not be surprised to see him go so it's on a high and on his say rather than for him to be removed after a year if it hits the fan again.

Fingers crossed.

Absolutely agree 100% and said as much last night :high5:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

EastupperA wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Clash wrote:
General wrote:If there is one thing the wing wearing coont cares about it's brand image and the protests have truly set the cat amongst the pigeons. They don't want to spend the next year or two under these dark clouds and for me it almost makes Wenger's position untenable. Handing him a new contract is just delaying the inevitable.
But Wenger disgracefully accuses the fans protesting against him as damaging Arsenal's impeccable reputation'' :roll:

So losing 10-2 on aggregate doesn't damage the clubs reputation ?

Wenger says its not about him but about the club ... then said he thinks its a disgrace that human is treated in a way that no human being should be treated. So it is about him then? Or is the club a human being? :roll:

Maybe if Wenger is such a humanitarian he should apologise to the referee he said he was ''revolted'' by in the Bayern 2nd leg. But that would mean Wenger showing some human traits he doesnt possess like humility.
Mate your last two posts suggest you as many others on this forum have an agenda, rather than can really accept we played pretty well yesterday deserving to win the game by more than the 2-1 scoreline. I am an Arsenal fan first, forget about the politics of the club, the manager the owner. On a purely footballing level yesterday Arsenal turned up big time and made a lot of us happy.

Now what happens in the future who knows, but for just this short period of time can we just enjoy the fact that not only did we stop chelski from securing the double, but we also ended up having a better season than our illustrious neighbours despite being shit for large parts of it.

And before you say anything I am not an AKB, I just want to enjoy this weekend no harm in that ehhh!!!
This is a Wenger thread not a didn't we play well yesterday thread, although in fairness I think we did. The point is Wenger took the opportunity to slag the fans off and talk about being treated disgracefully and doing things the Arsenal way yesterday, not just saying yes we played well and isn't that great....in any case what is the arsenal away....it never really existed from us buying the league with David Jack in the 1930's...incidentally the last time we broke the transfer record, to George and his bungs or Wenger and his paying diaby etc millions for nothing....Im not sure what the fuck People think is the Arsenal way???
This is a glass half full thread, talk about results when it suits the agenda and slag the manager when it doesn't. Can't have it both ways, nearly every thread on this forum goes off topic btw. Yeah Wenger has been a twat with some of the things he has said about the fans, but you have to give him credit for the way he set the team up yesterday. Having Monreal on the inside of the Ox was a masterstroke and despite us shitting ourselves at the thought of BFG playing, again the back 3 compensated for his lack of pace.

That's the problem with a lot of Wenger out, you've gone so far that you can't even give a considered opinion of a match in isolation anymore. Perhaps that's why there aren't more than 500 that turn up for the protests.........