THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jumpers For Goalposts

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

VoiceOfReason wrote:Glad to hear that others on Twitter are making plans to protest as well, but whatever the plans are (and I'm happy with whatever), it's essential that as many people here as possible get themselves up there so that we can make our voices heard. Really, what have we got to lose at this point?

I'll leave it up to the Twitter guys to organise the specifics, but if their plans don't come to anything, it's important that we just get up there and get on with it.

The protest shouldn't be about specific groups (like black scarves, anti-Kroenke etc.), it should simply be Arsenal fans congregating and making a scene. Even if it doesn't make a jot of difference, I'll at least feel better for having had my say.

So mark March 7 in your calendars and get yourselves up to the Emirates to get this started.
It's in my diary mate!

I'll be outside the old East Stand just before 6pm. Even if there are just 2 of us I'll be giving it all I can. In this media driven age even a handful of us can grab a huge amount of attention and we have to grab this chance. No self advancement - just reacting to years of frustration and what may be our only chance to make our opinion heard.

I've been waiting to do this since 5 May 2009

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:Glad to hear that others on Twitter are making plans to protest as well, but whatever the plans are (and I'm happy with whatever), it's essential that as many people here as possible get themselves up there so that we can make our voices heard. Really, what have we got to lose at this point?

I'll leave it up to the Twitter guys to organise the specifics, but if their plans don't come to anything, it's important that we just get up there and get on with it.

The protest shouldn't be about specific groups (like black scarves, anti-Kroenke etc.), it should simply be Arsenal fans congregating and making a scene. Even if it doesn't make a jot of difference, I'll at least feel better for having had my say.

So mark March 7 in your calendars and get yourselves up to the Emirates to get this started.
It's in my diary mate!

I'll be outside the old East Stand just before 6pm. Even if there are just 2 of us I'll be giving it all I can. In this media driven age even a handful of us can grab a huge amount of attention and we have to grab this chance. No self advancement - just reacting to years of frustration and what may be our only chance to make our opinion heard.

Ditto. Remember being in LA at the time, watching the CL SF at home to Man Utd in my hotel room and then waking up to the news that we'd been done 4-1 by Chelsea at home and thinking that's that. And we haven't improved since.

6pm outside the East Stand everyone!

Pete on the beach

Post by Pete on the beach »

armchair wrote:From twitter
To all proper Arsenal...time to stop talking and walk the walk...protest 7th March Bayern home game..details to follow. .Retweet please
Done and Facebook

Pete on the beach

Post by Pete on the beach »

VoiceOfReason wrote:

It's in my diary mate!

Ditto. Remember being in LA at the time, watching the CL SF at home to Man Utd in my hotel room and then waking up to the news that we'd been done 4-1 by Chelsea at home and thinking that's that. And we haven't improved since.

I had started to question him 6 months before that, I felt in the "earned the right" zone after the Man Utd & Chelsea defeats , and finally crossed over to the dark side during the 2011 post league cup final collapse

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

As bad as we are, lets face it, were have been gifted a path to the FA CUp semi finals, and with Man United playing Chelsea, our chances of making the final get a lot higher.

Lets say we do win it - its the perfect scenario for Wenger to bow out, it is not, justification to sign a new contract.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Wilson wrote:As bad as we are, lets face it, were have been gifted a path to the FA CUp semi finals, and with Man United playing Chelsea, our chances of making the final get a lot higher.

Lets say we do win it - its the perfect scenario for Wenger to bow out, it is not, justification to sign a new contract.
I wrote a very similar post in 2014. Let's just say all didn't go to plan.

Nick Bendtners Ego

Post by Nick Bendtners Ego »

VoiceOfReason wrote:

It's in my diary mate!

If this is even the OG meeting point and we converge on the stadium where there are other groups then that will even be even bigger impact. Imagine other large groups converging on a protest point gaining people as they go. All about numbers and if we are doing this we can't really afford another Norwich no show, we might as well write him up a new contract ourselves.

Is the original OG banner still floating betwixt and between ? Seeing as it was conceived on/via this forum it would be symbolic/iconic to lead from the East stand with it perhaps ? Not sure if this is possible. Anyone in the know ?

Can we continue to rally support on here over the next few weeks. Imperative to maximise the situation for what it is.

Looking forward to standing with you all.

Ziegler1988

Post by Ziegler1988 »

Wilson wrote:As bad as we are, lets face it, were have been gifted a path to the FA CUp semi finals, and with Man United playing Chelsea, our chances of making the final get a lot higher.

"Wenger replied: “Ferguson has some other interests in life and he was older than I am today. He was four years older, he retired at 71 and I’m 67.”

“Everybody is different on that front and I do not want to take anything away from Ferguson, he was an absolutely unbelievable manager but he had enough, he had enough, and I’m not at that stage.”

“My preference is always to manage Arsenal and I have shown that. I am adult enough to analyse the situation.”

Nick Bendtners Ego

Post by Nick Bendtners Ego »

Can't say I wouldn't take that scenario, sort of win win, I would say.

However, I'm seeing the open top bus parade as a perfect opportunity for the old codger to slowly sign a bill board size new contract with a 10 Million pound grin that translates into death by a thousand cuts to us :shock:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

You should start a separate thread just for the protest otherwise a lot of the specifics and updates are going to get lost in the daily anti Wenger rage.

markyp

Post by markyp »

we have no chance of winning the cup,do you honestly think we would beat chealsea,utd or even spurs in the final?

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

markyp wrote:

we have no chance of winning the cup,do you honestly think we would beat chealsea,utd or even spurs in the final?

Fucking deluded to think he will just walk away......

Any protests will help put pressure on him....fixtures will play a part if we loose at home the crowd are ready to turn...but remember last time when they were booing....he just gave a thumbs up.....

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Redarmy wrote:
markyp wrote:

Fucking deluded to think he will just walk away......

Any protests will help put pressure on him....fixtures will play a part if we loose at home the crowd are ready to turn...but remember last time when they were booing....he just gave a thumbs up.....
he also has full Arsenal FC PR machine behind him...now he is saying how defeats really affect him...as if to gain some sympathy from the fans....

Hes a crafty wanker thats for sure....

NickF

Post by NickF »

VoiceOfReason wrote:

6pm might be a bit early for a lot of people.
I work over by Liverpool St and don't finish until 5:30pm so i would be pushing to be at Highbury for that time.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Wenger today.....

“I am a fighter, somewhere inside,” said Wenger. “You don’t stay long in this job otherwise. I do not expect too much from outside, I expect more from me inside. When you hate defeat like I hate defeat, it’s always tough. I’m determined to always fight back.

hes not going easily thats for sure......