THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
VoiceOfReason

Re: WENGER - Views For and Against.

Post by VoiceOfReason »

A11M11 wrote:Their problem is short-termism . They spend so much time staring down Seven Sisters Road that they don't look at their own problems. Everything Levy does is knee jerk , new managers , new players , new stadium . It's all to hang on our coat tails . A few years taking a step or two backward and actually building a future would do them good. But as long as their only ambition is to finish above us they will pitch and roll from bright new beginnings to the depths of despair. And long may they continue to do so.
Tend to agree, but a lot of the same things can be said about us these days. Many of our fans are satisfied with the season so long as we finish above Tottenham, and we could do with taking a step backward and rebuilding too (i.e. getting rid of Wenger). I'd very much welcome falling out of the CL for a couple of seasons if it meant we could legitimately rebuild ourselves as title challengers. This seems to be what Man Utd are in the process of, although it takes some time. Still, I'd rather take the risk than tread water every year.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
A11M11 wrote:Their problem is short-termism . They spend so much time staring down Seven Sisters Road that they don't look at their own problems. Everything Levy does is knee jerk , new managers , new players , new stadium . It's all to hang on our coat tails . A few years taking a step or two backward and actually building a future would do them good. But as long as their only ambition is to finish above us they will pitch and roll from bright new beginnings to the depths of despair. And long may they continue to do so.
Tend to agree, but a lot of the same things can be said about us these days. Many of our fans are satisfied with the season so long as we finish above Tottenham, and we could do with taking a step backward and rebuilding too (i.e. getting rid of Wenger). I'd very much welcome falling out of the CL for a couple of seasons if it meant we could legitimately rebuild ourselves as title challengers. This seems to be what Man Utd are in the process of, although it takes some time. Still, I'd rather take the risk than tread water every year.
The idea that losing out on the CL will ultimately benefit the club is shaky imo. If we did lose out I could easily see our board/owner going in completely the other direction. They will retreat into their bunker of financial prudence and the self-sustaining business model will be back with a bang

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:seeing how shit Tottenham now are and how good Southampton are (after selling half their team) it does make you wonder whether Pochettino actually under performed last season at the Saints.

Isn't the rumour going around that pochettino is not getting along with the senior scum players ? Hard enough for any new manager to get his idea's across to new players, but when you are fighting against a team of senior players who have won fcuk all but are still arrogant enough to rebel against him, then it cant end well 8)

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Reading the papers this weekend as they wound into a love in with Maureen & pig face made me realise what a poor legacy we have passed on in future managers. :| We had the best teams for many years, top for for 19 years :blah: :blah: yet how many managers have we produced in that time.

Maureen/pigface around 20 or so. Bouldy must have his coaching badges, maybe TA6 Im not sure. PV4 of course at Citeh and DB10 in Holland, but its thin.

Look at other managers of equal longevity, SAF a few players - Bruce, Ince, Keen, Neville(G :evil: ) as well as assistants. Clough - several including O Neil,

I know a few players havent yet retired but I cant think of any managers at all, plenty of pundits of course. :oops:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Ive long said the club will go the way of scaling Down investment if we dont win the VT and see nothing to change my kind. Only when the prawns walk and world branding sales ease off will they invest and it might be too late allready. Interest rates are zero but player price inflation goes at 20 to 30 pct per annum right now. Not spending today means paying more later.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

LDB wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
The idea that losing out on the CL will ultimately benefit the club is shaky imo. If we did lose out I could easily see our board/owner going in completely the other direction. They will retreat into their bunker of financial prudence and the self-sustaining business model will be back with a bang
In retrospect I think had we missed out in 2008/09 to Villa (as we really should have done) it would have benefitted us in the long-term. The drop from should-have-been champions in 2007/08 to finishing 5th behind Villa and streets behind Liverpool, United and Chelsea would have been a lot harder to sell to people on the grounds of financial prudence. The expectancy would have been "what do we have to do to compete" rather than "what do we have to do to overhaul Villa".

Now I don't see anything to be gained by it really. The fans by and large have generally accepted that all we are aiming for is 4th so it will hardly be unthinkable shock horror if we do miss out one season. It won't see a sea change in attitude, by now we've spent most of the last decade steadily decreasing targets and expectations.

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Why the f**k can't we all stop whingeing and organise ourselves into some decent protests to get rid of Kroenke and Wenger?? We could do it and it would benefit our great Club in the long term.

PS - Don't anyone ask me to organise it cos I've got Repetitive Strain Injury from tutting at the television over and over again . . . . .

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Afc5123

Post by Afc5123 »

SteveO 35 wrote:Image

augie

Post by augie »

Another example of fifa's corruption yesterday as they announced the shortlist of ten coaches/managers nominated as the best in the world this year - how can anybody take this thing seriously when it fails to include the worlds greatest ever coach ? This is a guy that won yet another 4th place trophy last season and if that isnt enough to win the award, then surely qualifying (but never winning) for the champs league 104 years in a row should seal the deal :roll:

Bendtners Drinking Buddy

Post by Bendtners Drinking Buddy »

augie wrote:Another example of fifa's corruption yesterday as they announced the shortlist of ten coaches/managers nominated as the best in the world this year - how can anybody take this thing seriously when it fails to include the worlds greatest ever coach ? This is a guy that won yet another 4th place trophy last season and if that isnt enough to win the award, then surely qualifying (but never winning) for the champs league 104 years in a row should seal the deal :roll:

In Fairness though the whole thing is a joke - why is Jose on there? No Trophies won, 3rd in the league, CL QF.....all a farce to be honest isnt it.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Still a bulbeye and im still 100% against 8)

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Well I'm with these fellas.....

ONE ARSENE WENGER.......THERE'S ONLY ONE ARSENE WENGER

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

I'm beginning to warm to Arsene again.

8)

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I'm beginning to warm to Arsene again.
Me too, let's make sure the bonfire is big and strong for November 5th!! 8)