Gone for a Song?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Gone for a Song?

Sell for £9M
21%
Sell for £12M
25%
Only sell if Sahin or other replaces
47%
Keep at all costs
7%

Total votes: 68

QuartzGooner

Gone for a Song?

Post by QuartzGooner »

If a bid of £9M comes in for Song would you want him gone?

We bought him for £1.9M.

Means Coquelin has to be main defensive midfielder until Frimpong is fit, and we of course will want Wilshere back to full fitness.
Though a Coquelin-Arteta partnership sounds appealing to me.

Song is a first choice player these days, but for all his good passing, he is too often positionally unsound and can be a liability.
How much of that is down to Wenger asking him to push forward I guess we do not know.
Strong physically, good tackler but too often gives away free kicks.

I would sell for £9M, think Coquelin is more the type of player we need and Sahin could be useful on a loan until Frimpong gets fit and the promising Yennaris is older.

BournemouthRED

Re: Gone for a Song?

Post by BournemouthRED »

If we sell him and don't replace him we will be weaker, I'm torn on the song debate, I do like him and if he could iron out the annoying aspects in his game hes a top midfielder.
He seems to love it at the arsenal, I just wish he would use his brain more!

Vinny1967

Post by Vinny1967 »

I voted sell him for 9 million.

Good player but we need the spine of our team to be right. We need someone in the DM role who instinctively knows how to play it , with more character than Song has shown me so far.
The DM role is crucial in any team and especially with ours given our natural tendency to attack from wherever.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Freed of his defensive duties he could be a very valuable player and not one to let go for less than 18 million !

chunkychappy

Post by chunkychappy »

I'd sell him but only for more money than you've stated above! Gotta say I think he's highly under-rated!

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

I wouldn't sell him but i would replace him in the team. He is too much of a liability for the first team but would be good as injury/suspension cover for a top class defensive midfielder

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

sell him, get someone in on loan, profit, arsenal.

:barscarf:

zero 6

Post by zero 6 »

Sell him... the man's a liability.

Spends more time up the field than sitting in front of the back four thus every opposition breakway is attacked through the space he's left, As for his" killer passes", for every one of them there are many, many more that go astray.

Rumoured( as i say rumoured) to be acting "Billy Big Spuds" in the dressing room as well

Post by 1989 »

Perhaps now with Santi joining, he'll be less eager to bomb forward and participate in the attacking moves?

Last season we needed someone to make up for the loss of creativity following Cesc's departure and Wilsh's injury. Due to this, maybe Song was instructed to attack more and bring out his creative side? Won't need to now though with a world class creative attacking midfielder in Cazorla arriving.

Let's not forget that in his breakthrough season, Song played as a strict DM and looked very promising.

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

I'd sell him for £20 in coppers and throw in Diaby

REB

Post by REB »

id give him away for nothing, i really dont get why people like the lazy fecker, wandering around the pitch thinking he's pele when his job is to protect the back four, a job he was so successful last season we conceded 49 goals :twisted:

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

I'd get rid, but only if we replace him with someone. He is good at times, but does give the ball away far too much to be a starter. Also, he is afraid to shoot from range which, for me, is vital for someone who plays DM (granted is he a DM?).

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Quartz, you said "he's a good tackler but gives away free-kicks". Does the second part not give the lie to the first part? He is not a good tackler. A lot of the time he's not in the right position to even attempt a tackle and when he is he part-tackles, part-wrestles and gives away dangerous free-kicks.
Bournemouth Red wishes Song would use his brain more. Sadly, I think this is the crux of the problem. He is using what little footballing brain he's got, it's just that it's not up to the job.

I don't hate Song and am happy to see him as a back-up (he's done OK when filling-in at CB) but he is nowhere near the quañity we need.

For me 9mil is what he's worth, but I suspect we could get 12 or more for him.

augie

Post by augie »

Herd wrote:Freed of his defensive duties he could be a very valuable player and not one to let go for less than 18 million !

Would he offer more offensively than cazorla,arteta,rosicky,wilshire or ox ? If not why would we keep him ? :? He would not be in our top 4 creative midfielders so I don't see the point in keeping him as a squad player tbh and he offers fcuk all defensively :roll: Sell him ? I would give the c**t away 8)

Herd

Post by Herd »

Would he offer more offensively than cazorla,arteta,rosicky,wilshire or ox ? If not why would we keep him ? :? He would not be in our top 4 creative midfielders so I don't see the point in keeping him as a squad player tbh and he offers fcuk all defensively :roll: Sell him ? I would give the c**t away 8)[/quote]

Augie we havent got a scoobie what Carzola will bring to the premiership ,with his size it's doubtful he would last a trip to Stoke I'm not being size-ist just realistic !

Arteta is coming back from injury and at his age cannot be relied upon for a seasons graft ,Rosicky is off sick again ,can we wait another 1.5 seasons for him to return ??? Wilshere may never play again let alone before Christmas ,and Songs a different kettle O'fish to the OX !

Song may disappoint as a DM which he is clearly not but as a midfielder he can be great if programmed or let loose !

Are you suggesting Mons Diaby is going to have an injury free season ???????????????

Song is highly frustrating but he can play football ............sometimes !